To root or not to root

BlackOpsChino91

Reaction score
This is probably a HUGE noob question and I apologize if it is, ive been searching and haven't been able to find an answer. I am thinking about rooting, and I know that it voids the warranty and all that, but I am probably going to upgrade to the "terminator" when its released for Verizon. I was wondering if you do root the phone, come in to my local store to upgrade the phone, would they refuse to do so since it is rooted?

chefb

Reaction score
wow if that's all it takes to remove bloat I would have never flashed a rom .

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not to certain that the OP got the correct copy of z4Root. There wasn't anything Chinese when I downloaded it.

I don't run any custom ROMs, I run regular 2.2 system version 2.3.20. Droid runs great.

dlbrown75

Reaction score
there is 2 versions of z4root. Do not use the chinese version. Find the version from Ryan. Works perfectly.

OP
M

microdot

Reaction score
I got as far as to download the z4root app from the market (the correct non chinese one). I watched the youtube video on the guy that shows how to root with z4root on the droid x but he only has one option "root" and then once you are rooted the option to "unroot" appears. When i open the app it gives me 2 options..."temporary root" or permanent root"....which do i choose. Will the temporary one allow you to unroot and the permanent one doesnt??

chefb

Reaction score
The version that you have must be a new....... I would guess the more options the better.go with what you are most comfortable. As for the upgrade thing after you root it doesn't matter, because you keep the phone.

OP
M

microdot

Reaction score
i guess i have one more question, sorry...i am so close to rooting but just still nervous that i am overlooking something that gonna make me go "crap i should not have meess with it."

Does rooting your device prevent you from receiving OTA updates? Because ginderbread is right around the corner

scf

Reaction score
No, it doesn't keep you from receiving the OTA. Any leaked versions will, however. Rooting will very likely keep any vzw reps from doing anything with/for your phone.

maderschramm

Reaction score
If worst comes to worst you could always run a .sbf file to return your phone to fresh out of the box status if you really regret rooting the phone. It would be like the root (or you for that matter) never existed in the phone's mind.

EDIT:

So I would say definitely root
using adb tools, I trust myself, not a one-click gui, like to make sure I know what's happening

OP
M

microdot

Reaction score
If worst comes to worst you could always run a .sbf file to return your phone to fresh out of the box status if you really regret rooting the phone. It would be like the root (or you for that matter) never existed in the phone's mind.

EDIT:

using adb tools, I trust myself, not a one-click gui, like to make sure I know what's happening

So this really makes the whole "rooting voids the warrenty" a non issue because you can with z4root just click unroot and use that sbf to remove it and they will never know right?

maderschramm

Reaction score

EDIT:

So this really makes the whole "rooting voids the warrenty" a non issue because you can with z4root just click unroot and use that sbf to remove it and they will never know right?

pretty much. z4root also has an unroot option I think, then you could just delete the app, but if you needed warranty work I wouldn't settle for anything less than an sbf of the phone.

OP
M

microdot

Reaction score
Hi, me again. I still have not taken the plunge but thinking about it more than ever. I just wanted to know, can any confirm that z4root is working with no issues after the latest verizon update?