To root or not to root

microdot

Reaction score
i know that rooting itself has probably been discussed so many times but that is maybe the problem. There are so many posts on it and so many different ways to root that i am unsure of the true cabilities that rooting unlocks and what method is the best (safest).

Let me start by saying why i am thinking about rooting. the main reason is to be able to use wifi thethering. My goal is to root and then use my phone to supply internet to my ipad which i got as wifi only. Is this possible?

From reading soem posts i was confused on whether the tethering would only work on say a windows pc, or would it supply wifi signal to any device for example the ipad.

I also know there there are several "1 click" rooting options out there. Which one is the safest and basically dummy proof. I own a Droid X of course and its currently running the official 2.2 OTA. I appreciate any imput. Thanks

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am rooted and I use wifi tether (got from Google) on my iMac. So I believe it will work with iPad. I rooted a Droid 1 so I am not sure of the safest way to root an x.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

chefb

Reaction score
I have an x, just like you I put up posts about how should I root and so on. I finally did it, and its awesome. What I used and was hands down the easiest ; (drum roll please) ...Z4root and yes ITS ON THE APP MARKET and ITS ONE CLICK. Well literally two or three because you have to download and install lol. Thirty seconds and done. Read, read and read more and when you think you read enough read some more.

j1d10t

Reaction score
Z4Root

microdot, I am like you. I did a lot of reading trying to decide if I wanted to root - I was really worried about bricking my phone. Finally after reading many good reviews about z4root I went ahead and did it. The first try it sat and spun for about 4 minutes, then nothing happened. Tried it again and had to do a battery pull. After the restarting the phone I tried it again and it took about 20 seconds. That was it. Rooted. Another thing I was worried about was un-rooting for updates. I haven't tried it yet, but in z4root (after you root) there is an un-root button.

After rooting I downloaded wireless tether for root users - the one on the market is not the newest, so I found (via a link on this site) the newest version: Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code downloaded the newest version and was off and running.

I highly recommend z4root and wireless tether for root users.

OP
M

microdot

Reaction score
Thank you chefb and j1d10t for your replies. I have seen this z4root but was not sure about it. It almost seemed to easy. I read on droid-life.com the way to root the droid X is by the root that was design for the droid 2. Even though they say its a ne click root they still mention that you have to install Android SDK...dont even know what that is. Were both of you running the official 2.2 when rooting with z4root?? I did read that there are different rooting methods for 2.1 and 2.2 and if you use the wrong one you mess things up.

Also the 3 benefits of rooting that i know is loading custom roms (not really interested in that), deleting preloaded apps and tethering....is there any other?

j1d10t...on that link that you sent me...which tether apk did you download? there are many, non say they are for the droid x and they all say experimantal which is scary. Sorry i am a nervous nelly when it come s to my X, thats my baby

plumcrazy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
z4root worked for me flawlessly this weekend. took me longer to reboot the phone than to root

(2.2 OTA and then rooted with z4)

OP
M

microdot

Reaction score
Ok i found z4 on the market and its all in Chinese and then the comments are not that great. Some people say its just malware and one guy said it doesn’t really root your device it just allows you super user permissions?? (isn’t that what rooting essentially is)

lovingmydroid

Reaction score
Im getting stuck on the "running exploit in order to ....." tried battery pull and reboot several times and still the same result ....Droid X

OP
M

microdot

Reaction score
yikes, that does not sound good. Its stuff like that that has kept me from rooting. I know there are many people who have no issues, but with my luck....

lovingmydroid

Reaction score
thats what took me so long to root and i thought this would be a simple way but now Im just getting frustrated

j1d10t

Reaction score
z4root

Ok i found z4 on the market and its all in Chinese and then the comments are not that great. Some people say its just malware and one guy said it doesn’t really root your device it just allows you super user permissions?? (isn’t that what rooting essentially is)

Yeah, a lot of the stuff was in Chinese (I think it was Chinese), but the actual program had everything in English.

I'm running the OTA 2.2. The only reason I rooted was to get the wifi tethering, and then I read (on this site) about a cool screen capture program called drocap that I installed. Both of those programs require super user permission, and they both work fine for me.

chefb

Reaction score
If it loops again, do the battery pull, reboot,then enable usb debugging.before you re root go to you tube search z4 root, then watch the updated video on it (there's two) its easy and I'm not a tek geek. Ladies and gentlemen it does not get any easier then this, if this is too hard or scary DON'T DO IT !

jst4fun

Reaction score
It worked great for me. This is probably a simple question now but I don't know. How do you get rid of the bloatware now.
Like apps like Blockbuster and City ID?

scf

Reaction score
search around for bloatware, plenty of info to be had.

I used root explorer and renamed the apk's to bak. Reboot. Done.

Last edited: