To root, or not to root.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Qq Jake Qq, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Qq Jake Qq

Qq Jake Qq New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got Moto Droid few months ago, friend recently told me about rooting. I've read a lot about it, but what are the possibilitys of your phone going to hell? And chances that Verizon will find out and cancel your contract? Please convince me to root, I wanna so bad D:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  2. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay, first of all no one should convince you to root. Rooting is a very personal choice. There are risks associated with rooting (very small risks, but risks the same). I have been on this forum since the first part of December, I got my Droid a few days after release and I can tell you honestly I have NOT seen an actual bricked phone. It takes a lot to brick these phones and I have not heard of anyone doing it yet. Yes rooting voids your 1 year warranty from Verizon BUT does not void your paid insurance through Assurion. If you root there are steps you can take to unroot so if you have to return your phone to Verizon you can put it back stock and verizon will never know. Once you unroot (since verizon does not know) your warranty is back in force so you are out nothing. Also something else I have seen on this forum..... When you root and flash new ROMs sometimes you have to reactivate your phone. DO NOT PANIC, this is all automated and again Verizon does not track this and does not know that you are rooting.

So my advice to you is.............. after you have read all there is to read on rooting all the pros and cons found on this site you decide what you want to do. If you are still "wanting to root really bad" then there is your answer!!

If you decide and you need help there are a lot of people on this site that will help you. If you need you can pm me and I will help you as well.

3. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    be like nike and just do it

4. eagle1967

eagle1967 Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +8
    worth it

i read about it and never rooted thought droid was so good anyway what more did i need. well after the 2.1 update delay and delay i decided not to wait this time. it started with the 2.2 without root so i installed it than read about people not being rooted after installing the original 2.2 roms and it says just run this. so i thought why not. It was easy and even after rooting i was like i dont see any difference. I had installed the original 2.2 from droid life completely stock 2.2. than i started messing with over clocking and quantrant scores were through the roof but battery was horible and phone was feeling very hot so i started reading more and found that different kernal versions made a big difference, i continued to read about different roms being put out and along came 6-14 [ROM] Froyo Kangerade V1.0 *Blazing fast, 7 Theme options.

as you can see only 3 days ago. I didnt see a list of bugs like other roms so i decided to give it a shot with the nex-theme(first theme i have done)
    there is the root reason. even if your afraid to overclock there is a huge difference in appearence , it looks like a brand new phone can you say colors.

i was messing around tryijng to change the home launcher and somehow lost launcher all together so no home screen rebooted no home screen to boot too so boot loop. like i said i read so i did a nandroid backup after i had it running to begin with. so i booted into recovery and restored nandroid and all well again, so do not forget to do a nandroid backup. do this before you try your first rom change.

ive seen screen shots of themes and always thought no big deal but when its on your phone its a lot different.

so i just rooted 2 weeks ago(maybe less) had phone since december. so for the last 2 weeks its been like the excitment of when i bought the phone.

i have noticed on my phone not sure about others but with so many people saying it didnt install it boot looped such while others had no problems.
    when in sprecovery it will go through install and say done but the bar keeps moving. i wait until the bar hits the end and if it doesnt reach the end i rerun install update zip until it does.

usual disclaimer i am not telling you to root or responsible for that indoor fireplace you have that use to be your droid :icon_ banana:.

but if you do root you will never be able to go back just too much fun changing things.

droid with 6-14 [ROM] Froyo Kangerade V1.0 , jdlfg.1000.v32(kernal)

5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    You know why these threads pop up? It's when the OP is really leaning towards rooting but just looking for that little extra push to assure them it's ok to do it. :D

It's OK to do it, but use SPRecovery. Just my opinion.

6. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I prefer the ease of clockworkmod recovery with OTA and ROM updates, etc

7. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Ratings:
    +49
    As dlwhtrose said, it's up to you. I got my Droid last November and haven't rooted, but that doesn't mean I never will. It's like buying a new car; some want it stock while others want to tinker under the hood.

Read and re-read all that you can find. There are some YouTube videos showing the process. Plenty of helpful people here in case of a problem or question.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  8. lsdozer

lsdozer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    DO IT! had the phone since december and just rooted about 3 days ago, and kicking myself for not doing it earlier.

It couldnt be any easier, just follow one of the many step-by-step instructions posted on this forum and you will be fine.

Lewis

9. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +292
    One con to rooting... you could possibly lose the "it just works" factor. Rooting by itself won't do that, but once you start flashing ROMs and kernels for overclocking, you could start to see the occasional issue with something acting funny or not working quite right. Keyword is could...

10. Mamba94

Mamba94 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just like everyone else has said it's really your choice. I am rooted, really don't need to be because I am not running any custom ROMs or overclocking (I like the stock ROM with launcher pro). Last week I flashed FROYO to my phone but it caused me all kinds of problems so I just uninstalled it and now I am back at stock rooted. I like the idea of keeping my phone rooted just so I have the option of running a custom ROM if I so desire, and like someone previously mentioned you can always unroot your phone. That's the beauty of this phone there are so many options.

11. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To root or not to root, that is the question. Wheter 'tis nobler to abide by the manufacturers warranty or ...... hack the hell out of it!

Honestly you should go ahead and root it, youll love youre phone so much more (once you figure everything out lol), especially if you go to a froyo rom.

12. jaed569

jaed569 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  13. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +1

Absolutely love your quote. I can't stop laughing. I hate to influence a person one way or the other but I personally like to "hack the hell out of it!"

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

14. droidbook

droidbook Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I say do it. There are great people all over the place who can answer any questions you have, and you'll wonder how you lived without a rooted phone for so long when you do it lol

15. Qq Jake Qq

Qq Jake Qq New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Considering nobody said no, what the hell whyj not. Ill be sure to root once I get computer :)

Search tags for this page
can rooting your s4 active be bad
is it bad to root a phone

is it bad to root your android

is it bad to root your phone
is it dangerous to root your s4
is it good or bad to root your android phone
root android good or bad
root is good or bad for android
rooting android is good or bad
rooting your android good or bad