To Root or Not to Root?!?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by luit5000, May 21, 2010.

1. luit5000

luit5000 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    with 2.2 coming out in the next weeks and me having barely come up with the idea of rooting my Droid(i have it since it came out, i was too afraid but now i am confident i can root it successfully) i was wondering if i should wait to check out this new update or if i should root my droid??

2. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Well it depends really, Do you want a few changes added to an update or do you want root which adds a LOT more features. Not downing on any future Update but, My rooted droid with Ultimate Droid Luna rom is kick a$$. Plus Wireless tethering (you can give your laptop wifi on the freeway while on a roadtrip, or even at the park where you enjoy the World wide web with Pongo the Dalmation. *wirelessly no chords :) ) Plus you can customize everything, id say just root your phone now and while your walking around the town with a custom rom and you walk by a person that has a 2.2 phone then you can blow them out of the water. :icon_ banana: Then give the Amazingly Smart Nerds a week and youll have 2.2 custom roms:icon_eek:, Eitherway i bet youll root. (just do it now, and itl be easier for you to load a 2.2 custom rom)

**** thats my opinion anyway:rockon:

3. vuskee

vuskee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    2.2 is coming in a few weeks?! Wtfff. im still on 2.0.1 lol

4. Explosivpotato

Ratings:
    +0
    The source for 2.2 will be out in a matter of weeks. An OTA update of a motorola/verizon final build? Months is more likely.

So, the real question here is do you want 2.2 before everyone else or not?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    That is a personal preference. There is, however, no guarantee that any release will take place nor does anyone know what it may or may not contain.

If you decide to root here is a link http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html that will help. If you have questions or run into problems post a thread and someone will assist.

Mike

6. Teammudd

Teammudd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i was in the same boat........ i ROOTed!! BUT i just read about the new update "coming soon"......

i just installed a custom rom, and have been playing with the cpu settings, so far it's been great, still have a few questions about the rom, but i'm learing, lol.

7. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Think of it this way:

1. Stock Droid + Official Android 2.2 OTA = pwnage

2. Rooted Droid + OC'ed kernel + Custom 2.2 ROM = omgwtfbbqpwnage

Either way you win. It just depends on your patience for an OTA release vs. a custom 2.2 ROM and your comfort level in rooting your phone.

8. luit5000

luit5000 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    mmh those are really good opinions. Im probably going to end up rooting it in the next weeks as im getting out of school and im having a lot of free time. As to the 2.2 roms im a really patient guy so i can wait a couple of months for it(if it takes that much time to come out). oh and yeah dancedroid FTW!!!

9. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do it, you wont regret it. Even If 2.2 comes out in the next few days (which i highly doubt) all you have to do to get back is backup your current rom, flash the 2.0.1 sbf, update to 2.1 OTA and then update to 2.2.

It may seem like a major PITA at first but you get used to it and you learn a ton about the actual workings of the phone during the process so you can accurately diagnose problems better than before. Depending on the method that you use, you can go from your current setup to a rooted 2.1 custom rom in about an hour or so. Using DMupdater and rom manager is by far the quickest way since DMupdater roots your phone automatically for you and takes maybe 10-20 minutes to do so, then use the paid version of rom manager to download and install your rom (that is if you dont want to use the ultimate droid rom which DMupdater will install for you)

#9 brando56894, May 21, 2010
    Last edited: May 21, 2010