To Root.. or not to Root?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by xxlostsurferx16, May 11, 2010.

1. xxlostsurferx16

xxlostsurferx16 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,
    Long time follower of this site, but recently just joined and began posting... I want to root my phone because I want to gain complete access since I'm into all that geeky graphic design stuff. But I have a fear of bricking my phone and voiding my warranty. SO my question is I do have insurance on this fone, will they replace a phone I brick if I accidentally brick it since I have the insurance and not just the standard warranty?
    Thanks
    -lostsurfer

2. droider4life

droider4life Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As far as i know no one has "bricked" a droid from rooting it.. some have had serious problems but none "bricked". it will void your warranty and you have to turn it back to stock before returning the phone for any warranty work or else your out of luck..

3. xxlostsurferx16

xxlostsurferx16 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright thanks.
    As long as I don't "brick" my phone I know I can return it to stock before I bring it into verizon. Thanks again man. I'm considering rooting it tonight

4. robert3353

robert3353 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Verizons phone insurance

Hello,
    I am new to the Droid but not Verizon, have been with them since 2003 and have had the phone insurance on several different phones over the years. If you attempt modding your phone, where you wind up bricking the phone just tell them that you dropped the phone over board while fishing or that it was stolen. You may have to send them a copy of a police report if you claim it was stolen or lost. Or if you do not want to do that then make sure that you do not send them any hardware that could be analyzed. If they see that you have rooted your phone they will most likely void your warranty,and might even kick you off of Verizon, I beilve that if you read the fine print of their agreement that you signed when getting their plan you have violated their eula and if asked to leave you will still have to pay the early termination fee. So if you feel you must send them back something just toss your bricked phone out in the middle of the interstate for a while and let a bunch of cars run over it and then collect the pieces and mail that to them or tie a string around it and dump in the ocean for a few days and then tell them you found it after you went boating. However you are not dealing with Verizon directly at that point, you are dealing with the phone insurance company and you have a $50 co-pay to get your phone replaced under the insurance but is better than paying full price for a Droid without a plan.

If I decide to keep my Droid I will more than likely root mine at some time in the future. If I wind up bricking my phone then I will look at the 50 bucks as entertainment money as I will most likely get that much fun out of trying to root it.

Good luck to you
    Robert

5. xxlostsurferx16

xxlostsurferx16 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hahah robert that was a funny post... and yeah if i did end up bricking it i was thinking of just dropping it in the toilet and say it got water damage and that little red sticker would show it did and then hopefully they wouldn't check the hardware or it would be too waterlogged for them to check the system.
    Thanks to you too
    -lostsurfer

6. robert3353

robert3353 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    An additional thought

Hello again,
    Just keep in mind that if you get it wet then it will not be a warranty issue, you will have to use the insurance and spend the 50 bucks. If the worse case happens and you have to go that way all you need to do is to call Verizon and ask how you get your phone replaced using the insurance and they will give you the ins companies contact info and they will tell you what they require you to do.
    Cheers,
    Robert

7. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay, rooting your phone will void your warranty you have with Verizon BUT it does not void your paid warranty with Assurian. Assurian frankly does not care what you do to your phone. However, the deductible on the Droids is not $50.00 its $89.00. Just so you know.

I also have not seen one "real" bricked phone on this site. So take the leap, its not that hard and enjoy your new found freedom!!

Edit: I misspoke. I meant paid insurance not warranty.

8. xxlostsurferx16

xxlostsurferx16 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks man..

One question for you though dlt... is there a hack out there that works with a mac? I only have access to a windows computer at work so if you or anybody could direct me into instructions for a mac I would appreciate it
    Thanks again!

9. microsnook

microsnook Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Root. No questions.

10. dlwhtrose

Ratings:
    +1
    I would say do a search using the keyword "Mac". I know I have seen some threads out there about rooting with a Mac but to be honest I only work on Mac's at work, my home computer is windows xp and that is where I rooted mine and my husbands phone.

You may even want to go and ask one of the Rescue Squad team members and see if they know of a "how to" with a Mac. I personally think a step by step instructional for Macs would be good cuz I have seen several questions regarding Macs and Droids.

Sorry I am not much more help than that.

11. Kmart95

Kmart95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/38671-flashing-sbf-mac.html
    Here ya go.
    You will also need to learn how to use RSD Lite to flash a .sbf too. the link is just how you will be able to use rsd lite on a mac since its only compatible with the windows operating system
    EDIT: I will warn you though, it is really difficult to root 2.1 on a mac, just putting it out there

12. xxlostsurferx16

xxlostsurferx16 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you dl and kmart... you both have been good helps. I should be rooted either tn or tomorrow! thanks again guys its much appreciated to a bit of a rooting noob :)

13. Kmart95

Kmart95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No problem its really not that difficult once you are rooted to do things like install custom roms/themes and its a lot of fun! Just make sure you study everything before you jump into it (if you havent already). And remember that this forum has a ton of people that will be willing to help if you ever get stuck.

14. dlwhtrose

Ratings:
    +1
    Thats for sure. I read everything I could find at least 3 times then sometimes I read them again. Do your homework, that is the best thing. Read what everyone says about the different ROMs and themes (if you use one). Same with the Kernels. Then try them all out, find the one that fits you best.

I have never been happier with my Droid than I am now that it is rooted. You won't be sorry.

15. xxlostsurferx16

xxlostsurferx16 Member

Ratings:
    +0
Search tags for this page

violate eula root phone