To root, or not to root!?

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
THAT is the question...so somebody help me decide. I had a rooted x2 and that ended poorly... So what are the benefits? ... And what's the safest way? I do t want to ruin an already awesome phone!

Sent from my cranberry DROID RAZR with SwiftKey 3 using Droid Forums :-D

Gandhi said "Be the change you wish to see in the world"

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
What happened to the X2? I had one and they are nearly unbrickable.

I would say Root. Along with removing bloat ware you can install root only apps like titanium backup to save all your user data. Of course the biggest reason to root would be for the ability to install custom ROMs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
noobsterootster
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Well I had two... Because I bricked the first one day one of root lol I deleted the phones ability to be a phone... Second one was cool for a while then I restored it from root and it was slower than a flip phone

OP
noobsterootster
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
But I guess my real question is... What are roms custom Os? I because with my x2 all I did was delete bloat and backup data... I want to know what kind of options ill have if I root my razor...

BittenHand19

Reaction score
But I guess my real question is... What are roms custom Os? I because with my x2 all I did was delete bloat and backup data... I want to know what kind of options ill have if I root my razor...

Other than removing the bloatware and backing up app data you can also make whole back ups of the OS using safestrap recovery. This way when you do find the rom you want try you can always go back to how you once had the phone.

I had an OG Drod X running Liberty 3 which was a Gingerbread rom. I loved it and it still runs great to this day. It's my mom's phone now. So read up and watch YouTube videos about it. Also the Razr Utility is so easy to use. Seriously it rooted my Razr in less time with less hassle than my old X.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score

I would say root also, but only if you are comfortable and understand what you are doing. Root by itself does nothing for your phone...it will not be faster...it will not look prettier...it will not increase your battery life...it will not allow apps to run faster...it will make "0" difference. The key is what you do after root. Yes, there are some helpful apps that you can install and run that will help you do some of the things that I previously said root would not do, Titanium Backup is one of them. If you understand what root does and are comfortable knowing that it will void your warranty. You can un-root anytime, but if you have to send your phone back to Verizon or Motorola for any reason they will be able to tell the phone was once rooted, even if it is not currently rooted. Very few users brick their phones by rooting, this (bricking) usually occurs while flashing ROMs or trying to flash a recovery (stock) ROM back. Again, flashing is something you can do if you take a little time to research what you are doing and have the right tools to do it with. And like any tool, you need to understand what the tool can do and what it can't do.

I"m not trying to convince you not to root or flash ROMs, but I am trying to encourage you to take a little time, research booth root and flashing (there is tons of info on this forum and others about both), ask questions and then decide for yourself what you want to do. Many users stop at rooting and running a couple of apps (those that require root) to enhance their phone's performance, battery life, make backups etc. but don't flash ROMs.

If you decide to root there are a couple of ways to do that. The safest and simplest way I know of is to use MattG.'s RazrUtility 1.82. You can find that utility in this forum. You can also install SafeStrap...a tool to flash most ROMs and a couple of other handy functions...one of the most important is the abilty to restore your phone back to stock .211 if need/want to.

Last edited:

joshxdroid

Reaction score
^^^ this

Sent from my XT912 running some custom Rom.....I can't keep changing this sig

OP
noobsterootster
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Thank you Josh... I guess I didn't really understand that when I rooted my first phone... All I did was pit a couple root apps on and never looked at rom or anything else... I do know that when I bricked my first root attempt and then unrooted it Verizon was none the wiser and replaced it under warranty... Maybe I got lucky? I but I know better now than to do what I did that time!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Glad you're taking the time to learn. :)

The talk about your X2 bothers me though Lol... don't see how rooting it "bricked" it... there is hardly anything a SBF can't fix with the X2.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Thank you Josh... I guess I didn't really understand that when I rooted my first phone... All I did was pit a couple root apps on and never looked at rom or anything else... I do know that when I bricked my first root attempt and then unrooted it Verizon was none the wiser and replaced it under warranty... Maybe I got lucky? I but I know better now than to do what I did that time!

I think your thanks were pointed yo JP. Credit where credit is due. By the way, they had no way to tell if a phone had been rooted until recently

jpcalhoun

Reaction score

You may very well have lucked up on the first one. The ability for Verizon to determine if your phone has ever been rooted is a recent capability that did not exist on older phones...but it exist now. There is a file locked in the phone that gets coded with the "state" of the phone. Something like this: (0)phone has never been rooted (1)phone rooted and (2)phone has been rooted but not currently rooted

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I think your thanks were pointed yo JP. Credit where credit is due. By the way, they had no way to tell if a phone had been rooted until recently

Thanks joshxdroid...we seem to be following each other around this forum LOL.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Thanks joshxdroid...we seem to be following each other around this forum LOL.

Yes we do! It's good, you can correct me if I mislead someone

OP
noobsterootster
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Cliff I had deleted a file that was called something like android.phone... Literally the ability for the device to be a phone... So I couldn't do anything on it but look at what was on it.... And I had deleted it before backing the whole system up.. So I had to restore from root as is and take it in. total user error

And thank you to jp my bad thank you for the correction there josh

Last edited:

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
With the X2 off, shoulda held volume up + power to enter RSD Protocol and then used RSD Lite to SBF back to stock, problem solved. ;) I'll drop it now.