To Root or Not To Root

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
I was reading through the easy 3 step method....says this process shouhld work until gingerbread comes out. Gingerbread is supposed to come out in a couple months so if your rooted what are you supposed to do at that point? will you have to re-root your phone?

Honestly, we'll probably have a leaked rooted version before the ota update comes anyway. Likely, I'll never accept an ota for this phone. I may wait until gb is rooted, go stock, accept the ota, then root again. Just so there's a record of me accepting an ota just in case p3 is right and they are tracking rooters that way.

Why would they track rooters?

Would it violate your contract with verizon?

read this:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...otloaders-rooting-manufacturers-carriers.html

I'm sure there's definitely some fact to his comments, but I've yet to see any real proof. Besides, I see nothing in the VZW terms of service against rooting. Teathering however is. I think that VZW will crack down on "illegal Teathering" and warranty claims made for software related warranty claims made by root users. Either way, I'm not going to stop rooting, but if I can stay off this mythical magical list I will. Just in case.

n660623x

Reaction score
Its just because they arent smart enough to root and use the capability themselves. Please...the reason people pay more for hot spot and tethering has nothing to do with who uses or doesnt use it. Its already been well documented that it costs the companies next to nothing to actually provide the bandwidth to people. Companies are just greedy!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Its just because they arent smart enough to root and use the capability themselves. Please...the reason people pay more for hot spot and tethering has nothing to do with who uses or doesnt use it. Its already been well documented that it costs the companies next to nothing to actually provide the bandwidth to people. Companies are just greedy!

Who's not smart enough? You can't tell me that someone who uses 50 gb of data isn't costing them more than someone who uses 5 or 10! It's the irresponsible people who use a TON of data who have ruined it for everyone else. I'm not saying VZW isn't greedy, but you signed the terms of service...

On another note, if you want to debate Teathering how about going to a Teathering thread. Let's not go down this road again here...

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Indeed, it was written from my perspective. But now that you said that, I read it over and realized that I really did not state any dangers. I wrote that a while ago. Certainly could use some updating, so that its only semi biased.

I definitely used the word "always" to liberally.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Why Root?

{{ WugFresh }}

That is an incredibly biased perspective.

See http://jack-mannino.blogspot.com/2010/11/dangers-of-rooting-your-mobile-device.html for the alternate perspective.

And feel free to ask your Carrier (Verizon, AT&T, etc) about their perspective on rooting your phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

After reading your article, I strongly disagree. A malicious app could root your device for you if it was designed to do so, this has already been accomplished. Furthermore, super user permissions effectively protect your device from unauthorized access to the system level. A rooted bug would undoubtedly be more nasty than a non rooted one, but the ability to deal with it is much easier on a rooted device. Having the ability to make full system backups is arguably one of the most beneficial aspects of root. I would argue the contrary and state that root gives you improved security because it enables real recovery methods. Furthermore, factory reset doesn't actually perform a factory reset, so a malicious app could root your device without you having super user, make a change or addition to something on the system level, unroot, and then the end user wouldn't even have the ability to correct or determine the source of the problem. Root does not make you more vulnerable;

On The Android Platform:

To run a virus from the Google market...

(which there currently aren't any and if there ever were, they would be reported and pulled immediately; furthermore, even if they weren't pulled immediately, which they would be; they would be exposed through channels of communication long before they spread, because informatiom will always travel exponentially faster than any viruses in an open source community)

...you would have to:

1. Grant Permissions
2. Download it
3. Install it

No virus could be run from the market without you, the user, giving it privalages to do so first.

To run a virus obtained from an out-of-market source, you, the user, would have to:

1. Download it
2. Enable Installing apks from 'Unknown Sources' in your application settings
3. Install it

For any virus to modify/corrupt anything on the system level, you, the user, would first have to

- Grant Superuser Permissions

To protect yourself from viruses

*Stay away from browsing and downloading impulse apk's from any third party site/market.
*Only download apk's from a third party site that you trust, like z4root from links on this forum.
*Only download Adobe Flash Player from the market and obtain all flash player updates from the market.
*NEVER download and install a video pluggin through your web browser or within ANY trusted internet based apk like Facebook.
*Pay attention to the permissions you are granting to apps through the market, but don't live in fear of market apps... there are alot of eyes watching the market
*Pay CLOSE attention to which apps you grant Super User Permissions to and what they are doing.
*Stay informed, which is very easy considering you are carrying a mobile computer in your pocket.

And for ALL platforms the most important rule is
***ONLY download/install files from a TRUSTED SOURCE***

If you follow these guidelines running antivirus software is superfluous on android and will only be at the expense of slower system performance and faster battery consumption. Furthermore, refraining from root access and staying stock will not protect your system any more and will be the expense of the limitations of restricted file access for the end user and the inability to have real control over their device.
- - - - - - - - - -
The real danagers of root would be
+hard bricking which is highly unlikely on devices that won't let you run custom kernels.
+Having to deal with things like soft bricks or bootloops if you screw up.... but is relatively easy.
+Tethering illegally and getting your service canceled (which still hasn't been reported to have happened yet)
+Voiding your warranty if you can't figure out how to sbf back to stock (which is very easy)
+Never knowing what lies on the other side of the fence.

{{ WugFresh }}

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Why Root?

{{ WugFresh }}

That is an incredibly biased perspective.

See Jack Mannino: Dangers of Rooting Your Mobile Device for the alternate perspective.

And feel free to ask your Carrier (Verizon, AT&T, etc) about their perspective on rooting your phone.

After reading your article, I strongly disagree. A malicious app could root your device for you if it was designed to do so, this has already been accomplished. Furthermore, super user permissions effectively protect your device from unauthorized access to the system level. A rooted bug would undoubtedly be more nasty than a non rooted one, but the ability to deal with it is much easier on a rooted device. Having the ability to make full system backups is arguably one of the most beneficial aspects of root. I would argue the contrary and state that root gives you improved security because it enables real recovery methods. Furthermore, factory reset doesn't actually perform a factory reset, so a malicious app could root your device without you having super user, make a change or addition to something on the system level, unroot, and then the end user wouldn't even have the ability to correct or determine the source of the problem. Root does not make you more vulnerable;

On The Android Platform:

To run a virus from the Google market...

(which there currently aren't any and if there ever were, they would be reported and pulled immediately; furthermore, even if they weren't pulled immediately, which they would be; they would be exposed through channels of communication long before they spread, because informatiom will always travel exponentially faster than any viruses in an open source community)

...you would have to:

1. Grant Permissions
2. Download it
3. Install it

No virus could be run from the market without you, the user, giving it privalages to do so first.

To run a virus obtained from an out-of-market source, you, the user, would have to:

1. Download it
2. Enable Installing apks from 'Unknown Sources' in your application settings
3. Install it

For any virus to modify/corrupt anything on the system level, you, the user, would first have to

- Grant Superuser Permissions

To protect yourself from viruses

*Stay away from browsing and downloading impulse apk's from any third party site/market.
*Only download apk's from a third party site that you trust, like z4root from links on this forum.
*Only download Adobe Flash Player from the market and obtain all flash player updates from the market.
*NEVER download and install a video pluggin through your web browser or within ANY trusted internet based apk like Facebook.
*Pay attention to the permissions you are granting to apps through the market, but don't live in fear of market apps... there are alot of eyes watching the market
*Pay CLOSE attention to which apps you grant Super User Permissions to and what they are doing.
*Stay informed, which is very easy considering you are carrying a mobile computer in your pocket.

And for ALL platforms the most important rule is
***ONLY download/install files from a TRUSTED SOURCE***

If you follow these guidelines running antivirus software is superfluous on android and will only be at the expense of slower system performance and faster battery consumption. Furthermore, refraining from root access and staying stock will not protect your system any more and will be the expense of the limitations of restricted file access for the end user and the inability to have real control over their device.
- - - - - - - - - -
The real danagers of root would be
+hard bricking which is highly unlikely on devices that won't let you run custom kernels.
+Having to deal with things like soft bricks or bootloops if you screw up.... but is relatively easy.
+Tethering illegally and getting your service canceled (which still hasn't been reported to have happened yet)
+Voiding your warranty if you can't figure out how to sbf back to stock (which is very easy)
+Never knowing what lies on the other side of the fence.

{{ WugFresh }}

Perfect write up!!! This guy called you biased then posted his own biased view...lol

ON ANOTHER NOTE:
I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND AGAINST CONTACTING VZW TO ASK ABOUT ROOTING!

Natey2

Reaction score
This guy called you biased then posted his own biased view...lol

ON ANOTHER NOTE:

That was the blog author's view, not mine.

And why is contacting Verizon such a bad idea? Is contacting Toyota to ask about modifying your Toyota a bad idea too?

G

gatewayad

ON ANOTHER NOTE:

And why is contacting Verizon such a bad idea? Is contacting Toyota to ask about modifying your Toyota a bad idea too?

A verizon tech rep is the one that in a round about way told to me that since i seemed to be familiar with the android operating system and was having so many battery issues that if i felt comfortable there were other options to help with the battery life until an update comes available

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

ON ANOTHER NOTE:

Ok, no doubt. But by posting it I was assuming that it was align with your beliefs.

Agreed about asking questions, you can ask whatever you like, but try and ask to speak to a supervisor if the information seems fishy or inaccurate.

{{ WugFresh }}

wingdo

Reaction score
Tethering is no longer an issue bc of the hot spot capabilities
that will cost a fortune after may 15th. 20$ for 2gb and 10$ for each gb after that. Considering I've used 130gb last month, I'm going to root and use wireless tether after mid may.

Sent from Tapatalk on Thunderbolt

^^
THIS is why they are doing away with unlimited data. Your phone isn't meant to be your home ISP.

jr313

Reaction score
Tethering is no longer an issue bc of the hot spot capabilities
that will cost a fortune after may 15th. 20$ for 2gb and 10$ for each gb after that. Considering I've used 130gb last month, I'm going to root and use wireless tether after mid may.

Sent from Tapatalk on Thunderbolt

^^
THIS is why they are doing away with unlimited data. Your phone isn't meant to be your home ISP.

EXACTLY!!! Ppl take advantage and now everyone is gna have to pay for it, thats also the companies reasoning for wanted the phones locked up also...how the heck did u use 130gb of data?? Thats crazy! And the reason theyre gna tier data also...SMDH
Sent from the phone that makes all other phones bow down

jr313

Reaction score
Yes it is...BUT READ thoroughly before u try...research is ur friend as long as u follow the dirextions to a T then ull be fine...

Sent from the phone that makes all other phones bow down

n660623x

Reaction score
Oh I completely agree...i signed tos...but if I find a cheaper way or better yet free...im def gonna take it....now mind u I sure dont use more than about 5 gb total of data each month...150 is certainly a bit excessive.