To rom, or not to rom?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Bufhimat, May 6, 2010.

1. Bufhimat

Bufhimat New Member

So I'm sitting here, playing with a friend's iPhone next to my Droid, and while my Droid feels more capable, the iPhone is so much easier to use. And the maps? No need to wait for the iPhone to find its location.

Now recently I've been thinking of putting another rom on my phone, especially when I found UD has 360 screen rotation. And with myLock, my phone seems to be lagging already.
    My biggest questions are: Will a rom increase speed and performance? And will a rom make better use of the hardware, when it comes to the sensors and GPS?

The research I can do as far as which one to choose, but is it a question of customization, or is it a question of performance?
  2. rickt1152

rickt1152 Member

I'm sure you'll get a variety of opinions, so here's mine. I've tried several Roms, both pre 2.1 update and since to include Shoes, DroidMod, BB, UDv10, etc. All of them had some neat and useful features that were lacking on the stock rom, however, all of them were less stable for me. What I am currently using and my overall experience is so much better is a rooted stock 2.1 rom with an P3Droid kernel to OC my phone. All of the custom Roms seemed to create some lag for me. When I OC'd enough to compensate for it, I had stability issues. I am currently OC's to 1000 (on demand) and have not had as much as a glitch in about 7 or 8 days. Phone is perfect, I still have Wifi tether and the other things that root brings you with none of the stability issues. Other things that I found can cause lag is of course certain widgets and the live wallpapers.

I have not noticed any performance issues with GPS, with or without a custom Rom.

Lastly, I have had better results with a full system, data, and cache wipe prior to any Rom install.
  3. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

If you don't mind me asking, did you try redrum chaos, and if it caused lag for you, in what places?
  4. versusxiii

versusxiii New Member

Hey man,

I just decided at 2 AM a few weeks ago to start the rooting/ROM process. I've been pretty happy ever since then. I've run through Cyanogen, UD, jrummy's cyanogen remixes, woodyman's roms, Team Chaos, and Bugless Beast now. All of them are good in their own rights and I actually haven't had any stability issues on any of them. The developers do a very good job when they make them.

In my PERSONAL opinion (and others will clearly have their own!) Bugless Beast 1.0 has been the fastest ROM I've had to date. However, I also hadn't overclocked until the ROM. I recommend that if you want to get faster performance, customization, and more abilities (wifi tethering, etc) to give some ROMs a shot.

I think you'll be happily surprised with the ROMs that you try. :) I recommend Team Chaos' ROMs as well as Pete's Bugless Beast at the moment. Those are my personal favorites currently.
  5. sanitroc

sanitroc New Member

Yea man, I just recently rooted and modded from stock 2.1 and I gotta say Verizon should teach us about rooting.

That's beside the point...

UD-New Era is great on performance and speed. Not even o/c'ing and I was absolutely amazed by its having no flaws.
    I highly suggest RomManager. It makes changing it up super easy!

There is my two cents...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk