To go new or used Droid? Or Nexus...your opinions please?

Gavin77

Reaction score
So here's my question....I initially had an Eris, and it was just too slow, although very cool and sleek with HTC Sense. So I sold that and am now trying to decide between:

1)a new droid via wirefly for 24.99 and canceling my current contract for $155, thus probably close to $200 with corresponding fees, etc.
2) new, but from a local seller, only activated to get the BOGO offer, for $275 without a new contract and all of the hassle.
3)Nexus one

So what do you guys think as faithful Droid owners? With the 2.1 update will I be happy with the speed and features of the Droid? Or should I just wait for the Nexus?

And....which way seems most logical as far as getting the phone...as I mentioned above? Any better ideas?

Thanks Droid freaks....

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sort of up to you. Nexus has the advantage of being the latest and greatest, but the Droid is tried and true, and has a physical keyboard....

If you can figure out the phone, then the cheaper solution is usually for me the more logical.

jsmcdon1

Reaction score
I left the iPhone and Blackberry world for Droid. I too had the Eris, but craved the bigger screen and power of the Droid. For me anyway, the Droid does everything I need and is a very tough phone. I'm sure the N1 is an excellent phone, but I'm sticking with my Droid and waiting semi-patiently for the 2.1 update to arrive.

OP
G

Gavin77

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys! Keep em' coming.....I'm leaning heavily on the Droid. I think it would be just right with 2.1. Peace....

cali_droid

Reaction score
isnt the cancellation fee for verizon now 350 for all smart phones? so it would come out to a alot more

OP
G

Gavin77

Reaction score
Well I renewed my contract before that came into play, so mine is at $150 right now. However, it seems that with all of the charges for a new separate line and pro-rated this and thats, and cancellation fees, etc., etc., that Verizon explained to me, it would be best to buy the phone from this guy locally. I just hope the Droids are pretty reliable, because although this fellas' phone is new, I would not be able to get it serviced at Verizon due to the fact that I didn't buy the phone from them directly.

cali_droid

Reaction score
oh lucky you. alot of people got screwed with that new thing. Yeah that would be your best bet or you can search craigslist for something cheaper

OP
G

Gavin77

Reaction score
Ya, I found the Droid that I was referring to on craigslist. Just hope the phones are pretty solid......no Verizon warranty......guess I could call Motorola if I had any problems with the hardware? Ya right.....

cali_droid

Reaction score
it should have a year warranty at least shouldn't it? like most new phones do

OP
G

Gavin77

Reaction score
Verizon voids the warranty if a phone is switched to a different line.....atleast that's what some Verizon customer service lady told me....

Domestic violence

Reaction score
I bought an EnV2 for my daughter off of ebay, used. She broke the screen within a month, so I went to VZW. The tech said that he would warranty the phone. Within 2 days, a brand new EnV2 (as it would be sold iin the store... box, manual, charger) was delivered.

So, I'm guessing that the whole warranty/insurance on a used phone isn't written in stone.

With 2.1 due out in less than 24hours, you should get some valuable info right here. Personally, id buy a used/like new Droid, not use an upgrade and wait til the N1 is out (on VZW) for a bit. I love my keyboard.

cali_droid

Reaction score
It all depends on the rep. Some can be A-holes and others can be really cool

OP
G

Gavin77

Reaction score
Very true....ya, I'm waiting for this guy to call me back.....I plan to buy his used/new droid.....so hopefully soon I will be a fellow droid brother.....peace