To GB or not to GB

milski65

Reaction score
I'm trying to plan for the ota GB update. Newbie here. Have never installed custom ROM's. I am rooted with z4. I do know I refuse to go back to unrooted. Done Droid X recovery bootstrap once and planned on doing again on the 12th (just in case). Have Titanium Pro and have backed up. I'm on system version 2.3.340, Andriod version 2.2.1. My issues are these:

1. Do I have to accept update, or can I stay where I am?

2. Can I simply hit the unroot button on z4 and then reroot with same process after installing update?

3. Will I be able to do a permanent reroot with z4 after installing gb ota?

From what I've read and understand, once I go to gb I can't go back. Not sure if that's even a correct statement. I'm very happy with the way the phone is now. I'm fine with doing update, but being rooted on the spot afterwards is imperative.

Any help and direction would be greatly appreciated.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to plan for the ota GB update. Newbie here. Have never installed custom ROM's. I am rooted with z4. I do know I refuse to go back to unrooted. Done Droid X recovery bootstrap once and planned on doing again on the 12th (just in case). Have Titanium Pro and have backed up. I'm on system version 2.3.340, Andriod version 2.2.1. My issues are these:

1. Do I have to accept update, or can I stay where I am?

2. Can I simply hit the unroot button on z4 and then reroot with same process after installing update?

3. Will I be able to do a permanent reroot with z4 after installing gb ota?

From what I've read and understand, once I go to gb I can't go back. Not sure if that's even a correct statement. I'm very happy with the way the phone is now. I'm fine with doing update, but being rooted on the spot afterwards is imperative.

Any help and direction would be greatly appreciated.

1. I don't think you have to accept it, but you'll probably get nagged.
2. Not sure. Installing the update will unroot your phone. Whether you can reroot it depends on if the update has been hacked providing you a one click method on gb.
3. Once the update has the ability to be rooted, yes.

Sent from my Liberated DROID2

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is also a leaked ver of gb that is prerooted

Sent from my Liberated DROID2