To Flash or Not to Flash?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Global' started by NeekNastE, Aug 7, 2011.

1. NeekNastE

NeekNastE New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys I have been sitting here for a few days now debating on whether or not a should flash a custom ROM on to my D2G but I never have before and I was wondering what do I need to successfully flash a rom and what are the best and most STABLE roms available for the D2G. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. donkeydroid

donkeydroid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hexen is good. Use a pc to download z4 root. Once rooted you can grab whatever you want. Easiest way to start would be with fission and fission romantic manager.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

3. Dfit18

Dfit18 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i am on cm7 now (coming from stock) and i couldn't be happier.

4. DarkDreamer13

DarkDreamer13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use HeXen and it's very stable. And I absolutely love it. I came from an OG Droid before my D2G, and I hated stock because I couldn't stand blur. Being able to be rid of Blur made flashing a custom ROM worth it to me.

If you are going to flash a custom ROM I would highly recommend getting the latest RSD Lite and the drivers for it on your PC. And I would download the D2G sbf file. With those 2 things, if anything goes wrong, you SHOULD be able to revert your phone back to completely stock. Another thing I would recommend is read, read, READ. Go to the thread for whichever ROM you're looking at flashing. They normally give you or at least link you to install instructions, as well as how to address some of the more "common" issues that can occur (such as bootloops, etc.). Also, read about how to use RSD Lite and sbf-ing.

The first time you flash can be pretty, uh, intense. There is nothing like seeing your awesome smartphone that you love (and in some cases cannot easily afford to replace) go into a bootloop. Your thoughts immediately jump to all the horror stories of bricked phones and you start to wonder wtf you're gonna do. My advice if something like that happens is relax, take a deep breath, and go back to reading and/or asking for help on here if your issue hasn't been previously addressed.

Hope this has helped. Good luck and happy flashing! :)

Sent from my Forbidden HeXenated D2G

5. Byakushiki

Byakushiki Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Fission can no longer be flashed as it has been taken down, a handful of people still have the files most likely though. As for stable roms, Angel and Hexen are the most stable custom roms. Cyanogen is still being developed, as Bluetooth is the only big thing currently still defunct. MIUI is in a similar state, but camera is mirrored there on top of Bluetooth.

6. NeekNastE

NeekNastE New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys i think I'm going to give HeXen a shot. It seems to have the best stability from what I'm seeing! I'm a fast learner so hopefully that carries me through this lol.

7. donkeydroid

donkeydroid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I went back over to Hexen after cm4d2g...... it was a battery killer.... but loved it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

8. clouse2013

clouse2013 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you need help, let me know and i can walk you through the process.

CM4D2G is quite a battery drain. But for me, the customizations and the speed were too much to pass up.