To Encrypt or Not to Encrypt

MotoXGirl

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been thinking about encrypting my whole phone with the option under "security" settings. My question is... Should I? What does that really do/mean for me? What kind of encryption does it use (how secure is it)?

Any ideas on this would be helpful!

Thx

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
There are several different types and formats dealing with the securing of documents, data and voice.
You need to choose the level of protection you feel you require.
There are low level forms known as PGP (Pretty Good Privacy), DES (Data Encryption Standard) Based on F.I.P.S (Federal Information Processing Standard), and you have tighter encrytption, known as AES, which is one of the current forms available, which relate to physical strength of the key, such as AES-256, 512 and 1024.
There are hash/sha strings to contend with, as the constant key requirement each and every time you update r change your encrypted data.
There are different protocols required with securing data, and what I have revealed, pales to the extent of the encryption algorithm that is being used.

Digital phones really do not require encryption, especially voice, but all carriers do encrypt the data channels to and from the home network, I know as the 'switch'.
Data is handled transparently to all the users of the cellular network, and you really can't tell by looking at a screen shot of a carrier's uplink or downlink signal to know what is, and what is not being secured.
This process is handled automatically.
There are no commercially available scanning receivers made that can decode a cellphone conversation, the listener would only hear raspy, digital tones and sounds, while the actual data, is being transmitted to its destination, same goes for your Email and texts. All this data is encrypted on the fly, so aside from securing your own phone from snoopy people, encryption is not actually a necessity.
Although if you are only desiring to encrypt your voice, there are several companies that offer such add-on boards to many different brands of cellphones, but for data, no issues,that is already secured from casual spies.

OP
MotoXGirl

MotoXGirl

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info, but I am really looking for is to encrypt my phone in case I lose it. I don't want to go into a lot of details lol but let's just say there's pictures of myself that I don't want anybody to ever find if they're not who I want to share them with... Lol

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Astrix

Reaction score
there's pictures of myself that I don't want anybody to ever find

ynuqu7up.jpg

TapaTalking from Republic™Of Android

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
I can understand why you would want to try encrypting those! My personal experience with encryption did not turn out so well. I ended up losing a ton of data, but that was in the earlier days of Android. I have not tried since then. Surely someone around here has had a more recent experience.

How many sudden friend requests or PM's did you get flooded with after that! lol

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

OP
MotoXGirl

MotoXGirl

Reaction score
I can understand why you would want to try encrypting those! My personal experience with encryption did not turn out so well. I ended up losing a ton of data, but that was in the earlier days of Android. I have not tried since then. Surely someone around here has had a more recent experience.

How many sudden friend requests or PM's did you get flooded with after that! lol

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

LOL!! I didnt get any friends requests. haha Yea, I mean, Im just being realistic. I don't want to be that girl... I am surprised not more ppl have tried it. I was hoping sum1 could tell me how it went besides ur bad experience. haha

Jaquenetta25

Reaction score
This information is very constructive for correct planning. I like your work for providing information to the other.