To Droid or not to Droid...

jdposhkus

Reaction score
Hello gang,
I am a longtime BlackBerry BES/Exchange Email JUNKY. Time to move on. Tired of the stale phones, and pathetic web experience. I want more, and I refuse to be a lemming and iphone up. Plus no matter how good it may be I know I would break it in a week.

Here is my only trepidation..Will the exchange experience be as real-time and robust as the BB on BES. I am a funeral director and receive my off hours notifications from my answering service via email. I cannot abide email delays. I use gmail for my personal mail but my work email is via exchange. So would I have push email for both gmail and exchange?

So please don't just tell me that you love the droid, or you switched from a BB and haven't looked back. Tell me that I can move to the droid and enjoy the same rock solid email experience that I currently enjoy.

hoing

Reaction score
I am too, a constant emailer. I find the droids email to be just as good as the BB. With the droid, you can set many different types of notifications for an incoming email.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have three email accounts on mine and two of them are Exchange accounts. I have never used GMail at all. Both Exchange accounts push right to the Droid and have since day one.

And by the way, welcome to the forum! :welcome:

R

Romple

You can move to the droid and enjoy the same rock solid email experience that you currently enjoy.

OP
J

jdposhkus

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies folks.
You are making my decision easier....now Droid or incredible...leaning toward Droid due to depth of community and it just seems more able to survive a drop or two...the incredible looks like it could have a glass jaw...

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies folks.
You are making my decision easier....now Droid or incredible...leaning toward Droid due to depth of community and it just seems more able to survive a drop or two...the incredible looks like it could have a glass jaw...

Droid all the way. Can't beat it for flexibility and functionality IMHO. :i-m_so_happy:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Will the exchange experience be as real-time and robust as the BB on BES.
Depends on the connectivity options for your Exchange server. ActiveSync is real-time in my experience and real sync is a plus in my book over the push-and-reconcile approach that BES uses. If you're stuck with OWA, IMAP, POP, etc it may be a different story.

IMO, Exchange integration doesn't seem quite as tight as BES but that mostly seems to affect features that I didn't really use anyway.

Tell me that I can move to the droid and enjoy the same rock solid email experience that I currently enjoy.
Well, you certainly won't be affected by RIM outages on Android. :D

That said, most outages seemed to affect BIS. I've had very few affect BES.

You might want to check out discussions on the alternatives to the stock Email app for Exchange (HTC Work Email app, Touchdown, Moxier, etc). Quite a few seem to find the stock app less than suitable depending on their needs/wants. I'm using Touchdown. I've checked out the others I mentioned but the custom email notifications/rules were a major selling point for me since I don't want notifications for every new email that arrives.