To buy a Droid X or wait for the next wave of new phones?

Detonation

Reaction score
By the time the next wave of new phones gets here and you open it up, they will already be talking about other new phones. What will you do then?

At some point you got to either make a move or just constantly sit on the sidelines watching.

There will always be new technology coming, but there's a big difference between buying something when the next latest is 6+ months away, versus when the next latest is only a month or two away.

motormadness

Reaction score
I would go ahead with the X. It could be a few months or even a year before the Iphone comes out. Plus it's going to be a few years before 4G has reasonable coverage.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
By the time the next wave of new phones gets here and you open it up, they will already be talking about other new phones. What will you do then?

At some point you got to either make a move or just constantly sit on the sidelines watching.

There will always be new technology coming, but there's a big difference between buying something when the next latest is 6+ months away, versus when the next latest is only a month or two away.

I agree. When waiting a few months can get you something as great as a dual core processor over the single core processors out right now, then it's definitely worth it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

pyro6128

Reaction score
The droid X just isn't a big enough improvement over the droid 1 to warrant getting it now, when there are better phones coming out. And to the people saying that LTE won't be completely up, you do realize the new phones can still use 3g? If you wait a bit, you'll get dual core phones with LTE capabilities. The droid X has a big screen, but is that big screen going to be enough to hold you over for a year? Maybe, but it certainly wouldnt for me.

And to the people saying the droid X bootloader is going to get cracked soon and you'll get all these custom roms, its very HIGHLY unlikely you'll be seeing it.

Can we stop with the Droid X bootloader already?

If you're ok with getting the X only to see phones that blow it out of the water come out a month later, then get it. As long as you're happy thats all that matters. But personally, a bigger screen isnt enough to make me have to wait a whole year to get phones that will completely smash the X.

I guess it also depends on what type of person you are. I love new tech, so the droid X doesnt impress me at all and I can wait for the better phones. I'm telling my girlfriend though that she should get an X because she gets impatient, and to be honest, the average user won't really be able to tell the difference between a lot of these phones. If you just like having a cool phone and don't mind that better technology will be out soon, then I would get it now.

Last edited:

theidoctor

Reaction score
since when did they start talking about dual core processors on phones? i guess i missed that memo

pyro6128

Reaction score
since when did they start talking about dual core processors on phones? i guess i missed that memo

haha yea you must have missed it. There are a bunch of threads on this site about the new dual core phones coming out. Thats the main reason I'm holding off. LTE is great and all, but the new processors is the big draw. They're going to leave the current phones in the dust, and they're going to be coming out real soon.

Freezetron

Reaction score
In the tech world, if you always wait for the latest and greatest, you will always have nothing

For peeps like me who wont even get 4g until 2012 or later in my state and who never had a smartphone until recentely, the choice was obvious for me.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
R

Raydee35

Reaction score
I really wanted the X when it first came out but I may wait now since its been out for a while now. I am sure the latest, Greatest will be out soon and I will probably go for that. In the mean time I think I will finally root and hack my Droid ;)

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would go ahead with the X. It could be a few months or even a year before the Iphone comes out. Plus it's going to be a few years before 4G has reasonable coverage.

Why would anyone want an :iphone: over the Droid devices? Just a question:)

OP
R

Raydee35

Reaction score
I am ANTI-Apple, no Iphone for me. I was a big Blackberry fan until I tried Android.

pilot25

Reaction score
iphone is coming first quarter of 2011 so you can bet HTC and Moto are ....(well, HTC. Moto sucks) going to have some great devices to compete.

Wait.

monsieurms

Reaction score

Within reason, this has always been my position too. There is always something new and great around the corner. You could wait years for the next great thing while you have no-thing at all. :)

But I do have two requirements at the moment that are necessary: GSM and support for the new sdhc-x format cards.

JohnBo

Reaction score
I've never had a smart phone but really like the DX and am close to buying one. So I also wondered this question, so thanks for all the discussion.
The droid X just isn't a big enough improvement over the droid 1 to warrant getting it now, when there are better phones coming out. And to the people saying that LTE won't be completely up, you do realize the new phones can still use 3g? If you wait a bit, you'll get dual core phones with LTE capabilities. The droid X has a big screen, but is that big screen going to be enough to hold you over for a year? Maybe, but it certainly wouldnt for me.

And to the people saying the droid X bootloader is going to get cracked soon and you'll get all these custom roms, its very HIGHLY unlikely you'll be seeing it.

Can we stop with the Droid X bootloader already?

If you're ok with getting the X only to see phones that blow it out of the water come out a month later, then get it. As long as you're happy thats all that matters. But personally, a bigger screen isnt enough to make me have to wait a whole year to get phones that will completely smash the X.

I guess it also depends on what type of person you are. I love new tech, so the droid X doesnt impress me at all and I can wait for the better phones. I'm telling my girlfriend though that she should get an X because she gets impatient, and to be honest, the average user won't really be able to tell the difference between a lot of these phones. If you just like having a cool phone and don't mind that better technology will be out soon, then I would get it now.
Great summary. The DX seems plenty good for me, for at least another year or 2, even as much whizzier phones hit the market. I'm at the point where I want to buy one but I have some patience left, don't mind waiting a week or 2 (or 6 or 7!) if it means jumping in for a better price.

So those of you who have following the market a while and are predicting a wave of beefier phones in Jan, does that typically mean "older" phones like the droid X will start enjoying Special Deals! or outright price drops? Would guess so, that's the way of tech stuff.

douglaswilson

Reaction score
Blackberry 9650 to Moto DX?

I am wondering the same thing... I wanted a Droid Incredible but when I went to the Verizon store I started playing with the X and found out i liked it more than i thought i would and the incredible less than i thought i would. Now I am just trying to decide if I should get it now or wait for the Incredible HD. I really think I am done with Blackberry now.

Reaction score
Stuff like the Fascinate and Incredible were being given away for free with new contracts over the black Friday craziness so yeah the prices on the new stuff are already rock bottom and the X will be there soon too.

I still say that the X is a great phone. I've got mine all tricked out like I want it and everything opens instantly, video plays well, pics are great all the apps I want, LOVE the huge screen etc...

And once again, if you are waiting for "the latest/greatest" you will be waiting forever. When you buy a piece of "new" tech it is already obsolete and the next "latest/greatest" is already being finalized for release whether that be in 3-6 months or a year. I guarantee that Moto/LG/HTC already have 2 or 4 core LTE prototypes being tested out and scheduled for release next year or 2012. Meanwhile they are still marketing the single core 3G stuff as brand new/cutting edge. So wait all you want, and keep on waiting lol.