1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

To Beat Apple.

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Dejuanxg, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Dejuanxg

Dejuanxg New Member

If android is to past the iphone os it needs to take over a few iphones and have them running the android os at decent speeds.
  2. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

Just a matter of time. Google has a great product in Android. There is room for both, but with Apple not opening up their market to Verizon/Sprint, they are just hurting themselves.

Android is doing amazingly well for the short time frame it's been around.
  3. MiXoLoGiSt

MiXoLoGiSt New Member

Agreed, unfortunately Android will never catch up to Apple in terms of the app store.
  4. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator Theme Developer

:rofl3: ok?!!.........
  5. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

Never say never. Remember what motivates people to write Apps, and that is the market. People will write software for inferior or harder to write products if they can make more money doing it.

Give it time. Android is being widely accepted. People love it. Just today I had a discussion with a guy at work who was saying he needs to get all his phones in his household under one "roof", and I have a droid and the other guy (3 of us total) had an iPhone. As soon as the discussion started I thought "the iPhone is gonna win" and we went through it all and he priced it all out and he pretty much came up with the conclusion that the whole family is going with Verizon and Droids.

I was pretty surprised. One of the major reasons was service from Verizon and his wife already having a Droid and really saying a lot of good things about it.

In tech, things change really quickly. Apple has a dominant lock on things right now, but don't be surprised if 2 years from now it's reversed. Really.
  6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

True, I wish we had a few thousand fart apps......
  7. iPirate

iPirate New Member

Yea Mix is correct. You would need to get over 3 million monkeys coding fart apps to surpass apples fart apps alone
  8. takeshi

takeshi New Member

I'm not sure I understand your line of thought. Why do you think running Android on iPhone hardware is what will convert the masses? Do you think they're unhappy with the iPhone OS but love the hardware?
  9. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Don't be too sure about that. With Froyo + 1 Adobe AIR is supported on Android which means that devs can just bring their ActionScript3 apps to the Droid. Read that as bring FLASH apps to Android and have them installed locally. Couple this with the performance gains in Froyo as well as newer handsets as well as the other languages apps can be created in AND the openness of the market... well you get the point. Android was already at 50k+ apps in April and it wouldn't be a stretch to think it is nearing or breaking 60k by now.
  10. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

Does it really matter if Android surpasses the Iphone? All I care about is the phone I have in my hand and not what another company is doing. Everyone has a preference and swears what they have is the best. In the end both companies push each other to come out with bigger and better products. As long as you're happy with what you have, that's all that matters.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  11. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Actually yes, from a freedom of use standpoint. If the iPhone were to remain unchallenged everything from the hardware to the apps would be locked down/censored. Not for nothing but after I purchase a device it is MINE to do with as I please. Also who the hell is Apple/Steve Jobs to tell me what I can or cannot get from the App store? No one person or company should dictate their morality to the masses.

Unfortunately iCultists see Uncle Steve as their messiah and will blindly agree and follow him. That doesn't sit well with me. Anyone willing to give up choice and willingly submit themselves to that type of censorship is disturbing. The best way to describe iCultists are the AOL users of this generation. This is why Android has to surpass the iPhone.
  12. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Apple going exclusive with an inferior network is one of two HUGE missteps in the coming "war" (I realize IPhone is supposedly coming to VZW late this year, but at this point why would anyone switch from the Droid).

Apple got out front of the tech hardware curve, but the competition is catching up. Jobs needs to open their system to other OS' and continue doing what Apple does best, which is hardware and UI.

The other huge misstep was MS' failed mobile OS launch. You'll not significantly dent the Android base because you just won't be able to differentiate, unless MS shows uncharacteristic nimbleness to get that rolled out with considerable Windows integration.
  13. kodiak799

I have found virtually every App I need and for the most part they do what I need with no issues.

There's a limited number of apps I'm still waiting for. I'd like a quality, larger RSS widget that updates better (the one I use doesn't refresh and updates sporadically, but at least it's 4x2 and shows 4 headlines instead of 1).

I'd like to see a simple gallery widget that shows folders of my pics (using Sweeterhome and it unfortunately does not support live folders).

And, of course, with flash out I'll eagerly await a Hulu widget like Youtube, but I think what we would really need is a sort of bookmark widget on steroids or something similar to a "playlist"
  14. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

Sorry, I don't see it. What I do see is just as much fanatic fanboyism for the Android platform as for the iPhone platform.

No one is arguing that the iPhone should remain "unchallenged." Far from it. But that doesn't mean the Android platform should "win," whatever the h**l that means.

People purchase iPhones and other Apple products for many reasons. And along with the "censorship" imposed in the iTunes store comes a level of quality control that is completely absent in the Google Market. And what range of choices do iPhone owners sacrifice? They have two to three times the number of apps available to Android users covering a much broader range of categories.

As a consumer, I'm happy to see the dominance of Apple's iPhone platform challenged by a different approach. I don't kid myself, however, that this is some sort of moral crusade on the part of Google or that the choice of an Android device implies some sort of moral superiority. Google's strategy is simply the only viable alternative they have. Without the dedicated customer base that Apple enjoys, an open source platform is the most promising approach for Google.

Those who evaluate multinational corporations in terms of their relative ethical standards are engaged in religious arguments.
  15. kodiak799

Again, beyond being a novelty, how useful/productive are most of those apps?

There is no lack for quality apps on Android. I personally have had no problem finding good apps simply by paying a little attention to # of downloads, ratings and comments. I haven't found any ill effects of Android's "lack of quality control".

I'm not a fanboy and certainly not a Google lover, but I do love free stuff. From a strategic standpoint, Google right now is better positioned than Apple as far as software and the cloud. And you can't ignore that 3rd parties have a vested interest in seeing Android succeed - they don't want to pay royalties off the top to Apple or MS for every sale like you would in the PC market.
  16. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Not true. It is strictly an ethical argument, no more no less. No one should be able to censor or limit my use of my property. People have grown far too complacent in this regard and believe that others know what's best for them. Whether it be a religion, government or in this case a corporation. By willingly submitting to this type of treatment just reinforces and expands this type of treatment throughout all segments of society and not just "Apple's walled garden".

If you need further proof look at what's happening. FDA wants to limit salt in products. NY has a tax on sugared sodas, cannot cook with REAL oil need to use that low fat crap, the whole smoking ban. Seriously? Parents getting fined for kids being overweight? I mean come on. This is what it leads to and will continue to advance. If you submit and give in that little bit it sets a precedent, regardless of what part of your life it is, and more is taken away or controlled. Sorry I disagree. This is strictly an ethical and moral argument.
  17. Romple

Romple Banned

Relax.

Apple's on the same road they were on in the 80s. They had an early lead in the budding PC industry, but Windows overtook them due to its open structure and easy of cloning. Manufacturers could put it it on any system. IBM pushed this the most and Apple slumped down into its single digit market share it still has.

Fast forward to smart phones. Apple takes an early lead in the consumer smartphone industry, and along comes an open system like Android that's easily cloned and able to be put on any form factor. Companies like HTC are obviously wholly embracing it. Sound familiar? On top of that there's the Windows refresh coming and BlackBerry which will remain a strong contender, even if they are getting dated.

Apple's not taking over the world.
  18. bigaudiofanatic

bigaudiofanatic New Member

Totally agree

Also apples computer sales have went up a lot in the past few years. Not only are you able to run windows on it now but do a lot more like run windows apps right on it. My old mac lasted 6 years with not problems and that is one of the reasons I bought another one. Call me what you wil but they last a long time. Even though I am in school for computers I still love using my mac at the end of the day after diagnosing and repairing computer all day.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  19. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

As noted, this is a religious argument, not a discussion of technical issues. I've been debating libertarians and objectivists since I grew out of the obsession 40+ years ago. Suffice to say that this isn't the place for the debate.
  20. ScoobyDoo27

ScoobyDoo27 New Member

While I agree with some of what you are saying I think a lot of people with iPhone's don't even realize that their app store is censored. My aunt and uncle both own iPhones and they love them. I hardly doubt that they know anything about apple censoring certain apps.

I also know a ton of people with iPod Touch's. I doubt they care or even know about the censorship as well.

In the end, it's just personal preference. I would personally never support apple or buy and iPhone. It's just not for me but a lot of people do like them.