To Beat Apple.

Dejuanxg

Reaction score
If android is to past the iphone os it needs to take over a few iphones and have them running the android os at decent speeds.

wil318466

Reaction score
Just a matter of time. Google has a great product in Android. There is room for both, but with Apple not opening up their market to Verizon/Sprint, they are just hurting themselves.

Android is doing amazingly well for the short time frame it's been around.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
Just a matter of time. Google has a great product in Android. There is room for both, but with Apple not opening up their market to Verizon/Sprint, they are just hurting themselves.

Agreed, unfortunately Android will never catch up to Apple in terms of the app store.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Agreed, unfortunately Android will never catch up to Apple in terms of the app store.

:rofl3: ok?!!.........

wil318466

Reaction score

Never say never. Remember what motivates people to write Apps, and that is the market. People will write software for inferior or harder to write products if they can make more money doing it.

Give it time. Android is being widely accepted. People love it. Just today I had a discussion with a guy at work who was saying he needs to get all his phones in his household under one "roof", and I have a droid and the other guy (3 of us total) had an iPhone. As soon as the discussion started I thought "the iPhone is gonna win" and we went through it all and he priced it all out and he pretty much came up with the conclusion that the whole family is going with Verizon and Droids.

I was pretty surprised. One of the major reasons was service from Verizon and his wife already having a Droid and really saying a lot of good things about it.

In tech, things change really quickly. Apple has a dominant lock on things right now, but don't be surprised if 2 years from now it's reversed. Really.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

True, I wish we had a few thousand fart apps......

iPirate

Reaction score
Yea Mix is correct. You would need to get over 3 million monkeys coding fart apps to surpass apples fart apps alone

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If android is to past the iphone os it needs to take over a few iphones and have them running the android os at decent speeds.
I'm not sure I understand your line of thought. Why do you think running Android on iPhone hardware is what will convert the masses? Do you think they're unhappy with the iPhone OS but love the hardware?

Darkseider

Reaction score

Don't be too sure about that. With Froyo + 1 Adobe AIR is supported on Android which means that devs can just bring their ActionScript3 apps to the Droid. Read that as bring FLASH apps to Android and have them installed locally. Couple this with the performance gains in Froyo as well as newer handsets as well as the other languages apps can be created in AND the openness of the market... well you get the point. Android was already at 50k+ apps in April and it wouldn't be a stretch to think it is nearing or breaking 60k by now.

warrior21

Reaction score
Does it really matter if Android surpasses the Iphone? All I care about is the phone I have in my hand and not what another company is doing. Everyone has a preference and swears what they have is the best. In the end both companies push each other to come out with bigger and better products. As long as you're happy with what you have, that's all that matters.

Last edited:

Darkseider

Reaction score
Does it really matter if Android surpasses the Iphone? All I care about is the phone I have in my hand and not what another company is doing. Everyone has a preference and swears what they have is the best. In the end both companies push each other to come out with bigger and better products. As long as you're happy with what you have, that's all that matters.

Actually yes, from a freedom of use standpoint. If the iPhone were to remain unchallenged everything from the hardware to the apps would be locked down/censored. Not for nothing but after I purchase a device it is MINE to do with as I please. Also who the hell is Apple/Steve Jobs to tell me what I can or cannot get from the App store? No one person or company should dictate their morality to the masses.

Unfortunately iCultists see Uncle Steve as their messiah and will blindly agree and follow him. That doesn't sit well with me. Anyone willing to give up choice and willingly submit themselves to that type of censorship is disturbing. The best way to describe iCultists are the AOL users of this generation. This is why Android has to surpass the iPhone.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Apple going exclusive with an inferior network is one of two HUGE missteps in the coming "war" (I realize IPhone is supposedly coming to VZW late this year, but at this point why would anyone switch from the Droid).

Apple got out front of the tech hardware curve, but the competition is catching up. Jobs needs to open their system to other OS' and continue doing what Apple does best, which is hardware and UI.

The other huge misstep was MS' failed mobile OS launch. You'll not significantly dent the Android base because you just won't be able to differentiate, unless MS shows uncharacteristic nimbleness to get that rolled out with considerable Windows integration.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yea Mix is correct. You would need to get over 3 million monkeys coding fart apps to surpass apples fart apps alone

I have found virtually every App I need and for the most part they do what I need with no issues.

There's a limited number of apps I'm still waiting for. I'd like a quality, larger RSS widget that updates better (the one I use doesn't refresh and updates sporadically, but at least it's 4x2 and shows 4 headlines instead of 1).

I'd like to see a simple gallery widget that shows folders of my pics (using Sweeterhome and it unfortunately does not support live folders).

And, of course, with flash out I'll eagerly await a Hulu widget like Youtube, but I think what we would really need is a sort of bookmark widget on steroids or something similar to a "playlist"

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Actually yes, from a freedom of use standpoint. If the iPhone were to remain unchallenged everything from the hardware to the apps would be locked down/censored. Not for nothing but after I purchase a device it is MINE to do with as I please. Also who the hell is Apple/Steve Jobs to tell me what I can or cannot get from the App store? No one person or company should dictate their morality to the masses.

Unfortunately iCultists see Uncle Steve as their messiah and will blindly agree and follow him. That doesn't sit well with me. Anyone willing to give up choice and willingly submit themselves to that type of censorship is disturbing. The best way to describe iCultists are the AOL users of this generation. This is why Android has to surpass the iPhone.

Sorry, I don't see it. What I do see is just as much fanatic fanboyism for the Android platform as for the iPhone platform.

No one is arguing that the iPhone should remain "unchallenged." Far from it. But that doesn't mean the Android platform should "win," whatever the h**l that means.

People purchase iPhones and other Apple products for many reasons. And along with the "censorship" imposed in the iTunes store comes a level of quality control that is completely absent in the Google Market. And what range of choices do iPhone owners sacrifice? They have two to three times the number of apps available to Android users covering a much broader range of categories.

As a consumer, I'm happy to see the dominance of Apple's iPhone platform challenged by a different approach. I don't kid myself, however, that this is some sort of moral crusade on the part of Google or that the choice of an Android device implies some sort of moral superiority. Google's strategy is simply the only viable alternative they have. Without the dedicated customer base that Apple enjoys, an open source platform is the most promising approach for Google.

Those who evaluate multinational corporations in terms of their relative ethical standards are engaged in religious arguments.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
And along with the "censorship" imposed in the iTunes store comes a level of quality control that is completely absent in the Google Market. And what range of choices do iPhone owners sacrifice? They have two to three times the number of apps available to Android users covering a much broader range of categories.

Again, beyond being a novelty, how useful/productive are most of those apps?

There is no lack for quality apps on Android. I personally have had no problem finding good apps simply by paying a little attention to # of downloads, ratings and comments. I haven't found any ill effects of Android's "lack of quality control".

I'm not a fanboy and certainly not a Google lover, but I do love free stuff. From a strategic standpoint, Google right now is better positioned than Apple as far as software and the cloud. And you can't ignore that 3rd parties have a vested interest in seeing Android succeed - they don't want to pay royalties off the top to Apple or MS for every sale like you would in the PC market.