TMZ Takes shot at AT&T

markmicallef

Reaction score
Talking about Usher's car being burglarized for over a million dollars in jewlery. Someone said:

"He tried to call the police, but had terrible reception"

bb-gun

Reaction score
Talking about Usher's car being burglarized for over a million dollars in jewlery. Someone said:

Haha thats funny about the AT&T thing. But, If you try to call the police, it will get out to any tower (even if its an at&t phone it will use verizons phone tower, which is prolly what happened)

mjs31

Reaction score

Haha thats funny about the AT&T thing. But, If you try to call the police, it will get out to any tower (even if its an at&t phone it will use verizons phone tower, which is prolly what happened)

Not exactly true. If I call my local police station it will use my towers. If I dial 911 it will use any available tower. There is a difference. I don't know if Usher was dialing 911 or not...

TheOldFart

Reaction score

How can it use Verizon's tower if they are 2 different technologies? Do Verizon's towers support GSM?

NaterGator

Reaction score
No, they are fundamentally different technologies and the previous posts are incorrect.

The call will be routed to 911 using any available tower from any operator on the same network, but GSM phones and CDMA phones have distinct hardware requirements and one can't access the other.

mjs31

Reaction score
No, they are fundamentally different technologies and the previous posts are incorrect.

The call will be routed to 911 using any available tower from any operator on the same network, but GSM phones and CDMA phones have distinct hardware requirements and one can't access the other.
Well, I thought that some phones had the ability for both? I was thinking my BB tour had the GSM option, but I could only use that for emergency 911 service? Actually, I am about 98% sure of it, however, this was from CDMA to GSM. I have never done the other way.

Last edited:

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Well, I thought that some phones had the ability for both? I was thinking my BB tour had the GSM option, but I could only use that for emergency 911 service? Actually, I am about 98% sure of it

Some do, but the Droid is CDMA only.

mjs31

Reaction score

Well, I thought that some phones had the ability for both? I was thinking my BB tour had the GSM option, but I could only use that for emergency 911 service? Actually, I am about 98% sure of it

Usher did not have the Droid and this was what the OP was talking about.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Usher did not have the Droid and this was what the OP was talking about.

I'm very aware of what the OP was talking about. I responded to the post about it being a Verizon tower even though it was an ATT phone.

khaf

Reaction score
Wow all i hear is how ATT service isnt so reliable. I hear it from past customers, Friends with ATT some with the I phone swear its not true but when i ask to use there phone its another story , and the media. I wonder why so many people have ATT service in the first place. I had sprint "used to be crooks billing extra things to your bill you never had, whoo it would take them a while to credit me back. T mobile "most the phones were crap and the service sucked. Every time I was on a field training mission with my unit I had to use my friends Verizon phone to call n check on my pregnant wife. I guess im happy as hell i picked Verizon prices are higher but well worth it to have a working phone and phone service :). Dam i been ranting so long a forgot what i was talking about oh well.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wow all i hear is how ATT service isnt so reliable. I hear it from past customers, Friends with ATT some with the I phone swear its not true but when i ask to use there phone its another story , and the media. I wonder why so many people have ATT service in the first place. I had sprint "used to be crooks billing extra things to your bill you never had, whoo it would take them a while to credit me back. T mobile "most the phones were crap and the service sucked. Every time I was on a field training mission with my unit I had to use my friends Verizon phone to call n check on my pregnant wife. I guess im happy as hell i picked Verizon prices are higher but well worth it to have a working phone and phone service :). Dam i been ranting so long a forgot what i was talking about oh well.
what attracts people to att is they always had the good phone, (iphones, blackberries) but now that other companies, particularly verizon, are starting to bring in solid smart phones. People no longer feel like its a choice between cool phone or great service.