Tmobile SIM in Droid with no data plan

AZrat

Reaction score
OK my 1st post here, great forum. I have searched the web and am getting conflicting answers.
A friend has a Tmobile plan with no data,no text. Just voice. If he gets a Tmobile Android on ebay or craigs list, can he put his SIM in it and use it for voice calls and use wifi for the data?
TIA
Steve

OP
A

AZrat

Reaction score
bump --- I thought this was an easy question

Last edited:

Jordan8

Reaction score
The droid is cdma, it doesn't have a spot for a sim I don't believe.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

joker402

Reaction score
Thats something your gonna have to ask on a tmobile forum, as for the DROID, its not compatible with t mobile.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
The milestone will work on t-mobile, but not sure if just swapping sim cards will work. It could though. I think I've heard it done, but as most here are not familiar with using sim cards have to check around.

Sent from somewhere...

Jordan8

Reaction score
OP
A

AZrat

Reaction score
Thats something your gonna have to ask on a tmobile forum, as for the DROID, its not compatible with t mobile.

Now I' really confused

Compare Android smartphones from T-Mobile-

I don't see the droid in the list. As for just a smartphone in general, if tmobile is like verizon they will just auto add the data plan. You could call them go find out if they would or not for sure.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OK..I see. I am confused on what a Droid is. I thought it was any device that ran Android. I will loook for a Tmobile forum.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Let's clear up some of the confusion here:

First, not all Android devices are Droids. Only the Droid lines from Motorola and HTC are "Droid" phones. The rest are Android.

The Droid (and it's variants and descendants) is CDMA -- that means no SIM card. I don't think even the Droid 2 Global has a SIM card.

However, if you got an unlocked Android phone, or one specifically for T-Mobile, you could put the SIM in it and it should work.

joker402

Reaction score
Let's clear up some of the confusion here:

First, not all Android devices are Droids. Only the Droid lines from Motorola and HTC are "Droid" phones. The rest are Android.

The Droid (and it's variants and descendants) is CDMA -- that means no SIM card. I don't think even the Droid 2 Global has a SIM card.

However, if you got an unlocked Android phone, or one specifically for T-Mobile, you could put the SIM in it and it should work.
other than that, you hit the nail on the spot

gunz.jones

Reaction score
D2G has a SIM, but won't work on a US carrier at this time.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If he gets a Tmobile Android on ebay or craigs list, can he put his SIM in it and use it for voice calls and use wifi for the data?
As long as the IMEI isn't blacklisted. The ability to move SIM's from one device to another is one of the major points of GSM from a consumer standpoint.

bump --- I thought this was an easy question
Droids are CDMA. That's why you're not getting many responses on a GSM question.

You don't need to bump threads -- especially on the same day that you post the thread.

OK..I see. I am confused on what a Droid is.
A Verizon line of Android devices as well as a specific Verizon Android device model.

As for just a smartphone in general, if tmobile is like verizon they will just auto add the data plan.
I don't think TMO does but the OP should verify this.

I don't think even the Droid 2 Global has a SIM card.
It wouldn't operate on GSM networks (typically what is meant by the "global" label given the global ubiquity of GSM) if it didn't.

Last edited:
OP
A

AZrat

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I feel educated enough to proceed.