Titanium backup, superuser, avast and root...

Hodor

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask these questions, but since my Bionic is rooted and and the questions pertain to root, well here goes...

I recently received an update to titanium backup. Ever since then, I get a message upon opening it saying my superuser permissions are not optimal and do I want titanium backup to try and fix them? I initially hit OK the first time I saw this message, and rebooted the phone as directed by titanium bu. When I opened it after rebooting, it asked me the same thing again? I did not try again, instead I just shut-off the notification for superuser under preferences. My Bionic behaves fine, my root behaves fine, (I am also forever rooted), titanium backup behaves fine as far as I can tell. Is this something I should be concerned about?

My other question is about the Avast security app. There are 2 features of this app that require root that intrigue me. It can be installed as a system app and it has a firewall. Anybody have any opiniion/advice on this? Until now, I have stayed away from this type of app as I felt they were useless and not necessary. Being able to block an individual app's access to the outside world as I see fit might make me change my mind. But is it worth the risk to let a program like avast root (pun intended) itself so deep into my system?

Thank You all again for your valuable input!! This forum rocks!!!

SpeKtronet

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask these questions, but since my Bionic is rooted and and the questions pertain to root, well here goes...I recently received an update to titanium backup. Ever since then, I get a message upon opening it saying my superuser permissions are not optimal and do I want titanium backup to try and fix them? I initially hit OK the first time I saw this message, and rebooted the phone as directed by titanium bu. When I opened it after rebooting, it asked me the same thing again? I did not try again, instead I just shut-off the notification for superuser under preferences. My Bionic behaves fine, my root behaves fine, (I am also forever rooted), titanium backup behaves fine as far as I can tell. Is this something I should be concerned about?My other question is about the Avast security app. There are 2 features of this app that require root that intrigue me. It can be installed as a system app and it has a firewall. Anybody have any opiniion/advice on this? Until now, I have stayed away from this type of app as I felt they were useless and not necessary. Being able to block an individual app's access to the outside world as I see fit might make me change my mind. But is it worth the risk to let a program like avast root (pun intended) itself so deep into my system?Thank You all again for your valuable input!! This forum rocks!!!
I had the same Superuser issue with my old phone, used the same solution you came out with, then I re root it with a different tool and no longer had the error.I used Titanium backup, I think is the best backup, but I came out to i dont need to individually backup my apps so I'm using ROM Manager and have an updated image on my SD just in case.About Avast, I think is the best AV on Android right now, IMHO. I use Avast at home and notified me there was an Android app so I went for it, I trust Avast it has done a great job on all my home systems. The install as system app I think is great, in case your phone get stolen and wiped, the second a new unauthorized phone number is added you will receive a notification with the new phone number, cant be safer than that. If you are concern with your security even more, enable 2 factor authentication for your Gmail and add the generated password (API like) instead of typing your password on your phone, that way you can revoke that phone access to your Gmail account.

OP
Hodor

Hodor

Reaction score
Thanks SpeKtronet for the informative reply!! I too use Avast on my personal pc and trust the brand totally. My only concern about installing it as a system app is what will happen when Ice Cream Sandwich is finally pushed to us? Will ICS totally replace all our current system files or just certain ones? Will having a 3rd party sys app installed like Avast somehow interfere with it? Other than that it sounds almost too good to be true for a free program!

jkliving92

Reaction score
Thanks SpeKtronet for the informative reply!! I too use Avast on my personal pc and trust the brand totally. My only concern about installing it as a system app is what will happen when Ice Cream Sandwich is finally pushed to us? Will ICS totally replace all our current system files or just certain ones? Will having a 3rd party sys app installed like Avast somehow interfere with it? Other than that it sounds almost too good to be true for a free program!

You shouldn't have to worry about ics messing up avast. I wouldn't think it would effect your apps. When installing the rooted portion of avast the app tells you its difficult to undo. That's a good thing though for security. I also use Avast at home and that's really the only reason I tried it but I won't ever go without it now. Haha.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
Hodor

Hodor

Reaction score
If you are concern with your security even more, enable 2 factor authentication for your Gmail and add the generated password (API like) instead of typing your password on your phone, that way you can revoke that phone access to your Gmail account.
Has anybody here used the 2 factor authentication for Gmail? Any problems?

jkliving92

Reaction score
Has anybody here used the 2 factor authentication for Gmail? Any problems?

I tried it out but disabled it when when I got mt bionic. Nearly had to make a new gmail account because my DROID x was busted so I had absolutely no way to get the verification code. Luckily my tablet was still signed in to my gmail account.

OP
Hodor

Hodor

Reaction score
I tried it out but disabled it when when I got mt bionic. Nearly had to make a new gmail account because my DROID x was busted so I had absolutely no way to get the verification code. Luckily my tablet was still signed in to my gmail account.

Hmm, maybe I will try it and see how it goes. I like the idea of being able to stop access to my gmail account on my phone, from my home computer.

jkliving92

Reaction score
Hmm, maybe I will try it and see how it goes. I like the idea of being able to stop access to my gmail account on my phone, from my home computer.

Yeah its a great security measure. And ut does you codes in case for any reason you can't access the code generating app. I just didn't keep up with mine.

OP
Hodor

Hodor

Reaction score
Well, I have used avast for almost 2 weeks now and can report that I have seen no negative impact from using it, other than the annoying taskbar icon (which can be shut off). It does have 1 feature that is most insidious, hehe, it lets you use your phone to eavesdrop on others lol. The anti-theft part of the program has a feature where you can txt your phone and have it call any number you want. The phone shows no sign that it is doing this. I left my phone on the kitchen table where my wife was on the house phone with her mother and went outside in the garage and had my phone call my work phone and was able to hear everything she was saying!! (Could only hear the wife though lol, but you get the idea) You just have to make sure to mute the phone you are listening on because it is a normal phone call and they might hear something from your end (unless you want them to lol) I'm guessing the real use for this is so you can have your phone call you if it is stolen or lost and maybe give you a clue to where it may be. I'm no fan of antivirus programs, haven't decided if I am going to keep avast or anti-theft yet, but anti-theft sure has some interesting things you can do by sending txt commands to your phone!