Tired of waiting for Nexus, Thinking Razr may be good option.

Droid X Doug

Reaction score
snip...

I see you have a Razr, and I checked it out in store. Great phone, though the screen is disappointing to me. It had a green tint to it and it wasn't as sharp as my Incredible. Would you agree? Probably not, but that's how I feel. Owning a phone is a subjective matter and sometimes it's just one or two key points that may sway someone's decision and that could be the extra info they need to getting it. The opinions of others may not be useful to you, but they may be to other users.

...snip
My RAZR has a bluish tint when viewed from the sides. Straight-on there is no tint. If the sample you saw at the store had a green tint when viewed straight-on, it may have had a defective screen. The first RAZR I received from the pre-order had problems connecting to the LTE network (no 4G displayed in the status bar and the RAZR demo unit was zipping along at 22 mb/s per Speedtest.net while my unit was struggling to pull 1 mb/s) and demonstrated the problems in the VZW store, for a tech to see, so out came a replacement phone and I was on my way. Defects happen.

bsmith0731

Reaction score
Well the nexus is rumored at 199 anyway. So you maybe charged the 35 but you still will get some money back because both the razr and the rezound are both 299.

Definitely not objecting to getting different opinions because that's what the forums are all about. Just think you truly Need more than 10 mins with a phone to know what a phone is all about.

sent from my Droid RAZR. 1st android after almost 4 years with apple.

Droid X Doug

Reaction score
Now might be a good time to point out how lucky we are to be customers of Verizon -- and to have so many great Android phones available for us to choose from. Unlike some other carriers ;)
And if you live in an area where VZW has implemented their LTE network, how even more fortunate VZW customers are. Every time I use VZW's LTE network, it is daaayum fast! I kid you not, if Apple doesn't fit LTE radios to the next iPhone, they are going to see sales erosion. Every time I show how fast the LTE network is to iPhone owners, they start to get a bit green with envy.

OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
I appreciate all of the comments.

I think we have drumed up a good discussion here.

"Rezound It" lol ... thats funny :D ............. I am not much of an HTC guy. I owned the HTC Droid Eris before my Droid X. I hated that phone for many different reasons. Also I worked for US Cellular for a short time as a Manager and they had a few HTC Smartphones, I was never ever too impressed with them. Not to say HTC isn't a good brand nor have bad phones. They have proven over time that they are a leader in performance and quality. Plus, I do use my phone as my MP3 player alot , so the beats audio is appealing.... but from my experience, when i see that Sense UI, i just get a bad taste in my mouth.

So, I am a Motorola fan... and I like Samsung as a brand. I had a couple Samsung (non smartphones) back in the day, and really liked their quality, and currently I have a 51" LCD TV that I love also. :) .... One thing I would like is a bigger screen. I am not even opposed to trying out the Note (as crazy as that might sound lol) .

Your comments were all inspirational and has gave me the strength (For Now) to wait for the NExus. .... but if the release keeps being postponed and the Razr keeps dropping in price; I will have no choice. ;) ... Amazon has the Razr for $199 with 2year extension right now. dancedroid

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well the nexus is rumored at 199 anyway. So you maybe charged the 35 but you still will get some money back because both the razr and the rezound are both 299.

Definitely not objecting to getting different opinions because that's what the forums are all about. Just think you truly Need more than 10 mins with a phone to know what a phone is all about.

Couldn't agree more.

However in those 10 minutes, what do most people do first? I personally look at the screen quality, speed by flipping through homescreens, and the browser. I know we all test phones differently in those maybe 5-15mins we get in demo units, but we test it to what our use for it will be.

I also know there can be some bad units, possibly the Razr I was demo'ing, but I keep that in mind and don't let that sway my opinions on the phone. The green tint didn't bug me, it was the sharpness of the screen. I don't know the resolution or the one of my Incredible, but at least to my eyes, the screen seems sharper. There are few phones I don't recommend, but I try not to let my personal biases interfere when it comes to giving fair suggestions (however I admit I will never give a suggestion for an LG product, too many things gone wrong with multiple items from that company). That's why when it comes to these threads I give my impressions of the phone and then tell the OP/users to check it out in the store themselves as the only opinion that matters should be your own.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I appreciate all of the comments.

I think we have drumed up a good discussion here.

"Rezound It" lol ... thats funny :D ............. I am not much of an HTC guy. I owned the HTC Droid Eris before my Droid X. I hated that phone for many different reasons. Also I worked for US Cellular for a short time as a Manager and they had a few HTC Smartphones, I was never ever too impressed with them. Not to say HTC isn't a good brand nor have bad phones. They have proven over time that they are a leader in performance and quality. Plus, I do use my phone as my MP3 player alot , so the beats audio is appealing.... but from my experience, when i see that Sense UI, i just get a bad taste in my mouth.

So, I am a Motorola fan... and I like Samsung as a brand. I had a couple Samsung (non smartphones) back in the day, and really liked their quality, and currently I have a 51" LCD TV that I love also. :) .... One thing I would like is a bigger screen. I am not even opposed to trying out the Note (as crazy as that might sound lol) .

Your comments were all inspirational and has gave me the strength (For Now) to wait for the NExus. .... but if the release keeps being postponed and the Razr keeps dropping in price; I will have no choice. ;) ... Amazon has the Razr for $199 with 2year extension right now. dancedroid

Well the rumored date means the Nexus is out in a week. Unless you're absolutely dying for a new phone I'm pretty sure you can find some patience right?;)

I'm hoping the Nexus does release next week as rumored. I don't need it, but my want for it overpowers my wallet :D

OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
Well the rumored date means the Nexus is out in a week. Unless you're absolutely dying for a new phone I'm pretty sure you can find some patience right?;)

I'm hoping the Nexus does release next week as rumored. I don't need it, but my want for it overpowers my wallet :D
Very True dezymond. .... I think I can wait a little longer. LOL ..............and it would be especially helpful if they started the galaxy out at $199 christmas special. :biggrin:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Very True dezymond. .... I think I can wait a little longer. LOL ..............and it would be especially helpful if they started the galaxy out at $199 christmas special. :biggrin:

$199 starting would mean a definite buy for me. Don't get my hopes up with prices though:D

kparks

Reaction score

If u think the nexus is going to cost anything under 299.00 then u have problems... Sorry but due some thinkin.. moto and HTC are selling there phones like hot cakes at 300. So of course sammy will do the same

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
If u think the nexus is going to cost anything under 299.00 then u have problems... Sorry but due some thinkin.. moto and HTC are selling there phones like hot cakes at 300. So of course sammy will do the same

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
Amazon has the Razr for $199 right now (for 2 year new or 2yr extension)

ambrown

Reaction score
If I could afford it, and/or my contract allowed it, I would seriously consider buying the Razr over everything else today. I've has the chance to play with it and it looks dead sexy. A little unwieldy to the hand but that didn't bother me too much.

Plus when you think that it will get ICS sometime it makes the nexus less appealing. True the nexus will get future updates the fastest, but its main advantage over the competition is ICS. Once other phones get it the nexus will be just another android phone.

I'm really digging the thinness of the Razr and it lives up to the hype about style, at least in my opinion. Plus LTE, front and rear cameras, dual core, huge screen, hdmi out...its loaded with specs that make it competitive with all the other top phones on the market right now. Needless to say I'm very impressed with the phone. And I have avoided buying Motorola because they felt buggy and slow and not quite as polished. But that's changed now that I've had a chance to see how polished the Razr feels in comparison to past offerings.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hopefully there will be a special on the Nexus. I may even wait til after it's released if I can muster up the patience if I know a deal is coming:D

A price drop doesn't seem too far-fetched. The Razr was released on 11-11-11 and price dropped 2 weeks later for Black Friday. If the Nexus does indeed come out on 12-8, then a price drop before Christmas isn't hard to believe especially for holiday shoppers.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If I could afford it, and/or my contract allowed it, I would seriously consider buying the Razr over everything else today. I've has the chance to play with it and it looks dead sexy. A little unwieldy to the hand but that didn't bother me too much.

Plus when you think that it will get ICS sometime it makes the nexus less appealing. True the nexus will get future updates the fastest, but its main advantage over the competition is ICS. Once other phones get it the nexus will be just another android phone.

I'm really digging the thinness of the Razr and it lives up to the hype about style, at least in my opinion. Plus LTE, front and rear cameras, dual core, huge screen, hdmi out...its loaded with specs that make it competitive with all the other top phones on the market right now. Needless to say I'm very impressed with the phone. And I have avoided buying Motorola because they felt buggy and slow and not quite as polished. But that's changed now that I've had a chance to see how polished the Razr feels in comparison to past offerings.

You're partly right. The main advantage is ICS and updates first. However, it will more than likely be the only device with vanilla ICS. I got my money on other companies putting their own UI especially Moto who heavily promotes it. It's not a bad thing, but especially the OG Droid owners want to keep their vanilla devices and that's the main reason why this phone is so hyped. No locked bootloader so devs will be able to do as they please with it.

That's not a knock on the Razr. The Razr is a great device from what I've demo'd and it can do more than hold it's own as a top-tier phone in Android. Moto has done a superb job with upgrading their UI (I absolutely hated the D2 and DX), but their new devices are solid. However, still not for me, and yes I know I can change the launcher and all that, but I prefer not to.

OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
Hopefully there will be a special on the Nexus. I may even wait til after it's released if I can muster up the patience if I know a deal is coming:D

A price drop doesn't seem too far-fetched. The Razr was released on 11-11-11 and price dropped 2 weeks later for Black Friday. If the Nexus does indeed come out on 12-8, then a price drop before Christmas isn't hard to believe especially for holiday shoppers.
This is kind of my point. I won't pay 300, but i will pay 199-230ish. So this means i may be waiting a few weeks after the Nexus is released for the discounts. .... And the more I wait, the closer we are to the next "Latest and Greatest" Smartphone coming out. LOL. ... this is part of the option weighing.

ambrown

Reaction score
That's not a knock on the Razr. The Razr is a great device from what I've demo'd and it can do more than hold it's own as a top-tier phone in Android. Moto has done a superb job with upgrading their UI (I absolutely hated the D2 and DX), but their new devices are solid. However, still not for me, and yes I know I can change the launcher and all that, but I prefer not to.

Yeah I'm on the same page as you on that. I hated motoblur, and when I demo'd the Droid 2 and X at the Verizon store it felt clunky, buggy, and unpolished.

I'm on the Incredible right now and blur doesn't hold a candle to HTC Sense in my opinion. At least as far as feeling really polished.

I have been way impressed with Motorola's new skin on the bionic and Razr though and it doesn't feel sluggish or buggy like other "blur" software has.