tired of the droid.

Twoo

Reaction score
I'm not tired of the Droid per say... I'm just tired of how laggy it is. It's the choppiest phone I've ever owned and 50% of the apps foreclose every time I open them. Granted, 2.0 is still relatively new the Droid was designed over a year ago and visually... the phone has aged well, but the fact I need to root my phone and overload the processor just to make it run properly is downright disgusting.

Whatever makes it debut on Verizon first... Droid Pro or Iphone 4 will be my next phone.

lol I'll bet this is your first smart phone. Every had a Blackberry Storm?

Hate to tell you this but almost every post I see like this the problem is an uneducated owner. They run task killers, despite the fact that we warn them not to. Virus protection, though it's not needed. Generally most of your problems you create for yourself.

A simple factory data reset out of your privacy section would clean up your phone for you and have it running like a champ.

And don't look for iPhone on Verizon. That's not going to happen.

Not sure if you noticed, but I've been a member since November... I'm not your typical ignorant Droid owner who runs task killer and virus protection. And no- this isn't my first Smartphone. It's my fourth.

So... as you said, "lol".

Benton

Reaction score
Based on Twoo's description of the experience there seems to be something wrong with the set-up or apps loaded or maybe hardware. I have had my Droid since last November and have never had issues like Twoo explains. Force Close has occurred, the last one maybe several weeks ago, yes that was typed correctly. I use my Droid as a Smartphone daily for work and more importantly, for pleasure. I use the internet on the Droid extensively as we own race horses that we cannot be present for all their events so need the web to keep updated on performances in real time. As a phone, it's on Verizon and even if the device isn't as good as another for reception (can't prove this by me), the network makes all the difference and we are covered where ever it is we travel to.

Twoo's comments about laggy and choppy are foreign to my experience, I am not sure if this is a comparison to a Quad-core Windows 7 machine with 8 gig ram, to another Droid or to another smartphone. I can't recall experiencing laggy or choppy operation and wonder if there is something going on in the background on Twoo's device causing this performance.

I am not a Google fan-bois and have had smartphones on three different OS platforms and (gasp) would even go to the iOS if it met my needs best. From where I sit and what I need, Android seems to suit me fine.

Darkseider

Reaction score
I will gladly take your Droid today for a Cheeseburger tomorrow...

Twoo

Reaction score
Based on Twoo's description of the experience there seems to be something wrong with the set-up or apps loaded or maybe hardware. I have had my Droid since last November and have never had issues like Twoo explains. Force Close has occurred, the last one maybe several weeks ago, yes that was typed correctly. I use my Droid as a Smartphone daily for work and more importantly, for pleasure. I use the internet on the Droid extensively as we own race horses that we cannot be present for all their events so need the web to keep updated on performances in real time. As a phone, it's on Verizon and even if the device isn't as good as another for reception (can't prove this by me), the network makes all the difference and we are covered where ever it is we travel to.

Twoo's comments about laggy and choppy are foreign to my experience, I am not sure if this is a comparison to a Quad-core Windows 7 machine with 8 gig ram, to another Droid or to another smartphone. I can't recall experiencing laggy or choppy operation and wonder if there is something going on in the background on Twoo's device causing this performance.

I am not a Google fan-bois and have had smartphones on three different OS platforms and (gasp) would even go to the iOS if it met my needs best. From where I sit and what I need, Android seems to suit me fine.

I've thought about exchanging my Droid in for another because of all my problems. It's weird, about two weeks ago it just started running like crap. I've done battery pulls, did a hard reset... but still I have problems. It lags like you wouldn't believe (side swiping to one of the 3 screens takes roughly 2 seconds), a lot of programs force close, the market hasn't been working correctly or not showing my programs in my download history... thinking it's a problem with the phone. Which means I'll be on my FOURTH replacement phone.

And if anyone is curious... I'm a medical resident as of 3 weeks ago, I work 80-100 hours a week and my phone sits idle for 12-14 hours a day. It's not like it's under heavy use or anything. I've also never dropped it.

Weird.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
If your on-screen keyboard is not hitting on spot there is a calibration function under the menu and it works. I thought it was just my fat fingers and was going through every keyboard on the market trying to find one that worked untill I found the calibration. It gives you the Quick-Brown-Fox sentance to type. I've had iCrap, not going back!!

Where exactly is this feature?

Benton

Reaction score
It is weird, it really seems something happened for sure. I swipe side to side on the home screens and they scroll instantly (running live wallpapers Aquarium). I would do as you suggest although based on your schedule a stop at the local VZW shop is another interruption from needed sleep. I went through that schedule earlier in my career...I know the feeling and coffee is your friend but 30 years later it is still my friend! Keep us posted.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twoo, you been here since November and you are still having rookie issues with your droid. The droid requires owners to think just a little bit. If you have f/c then you need to find out why. F/c are a result of something conflicting. Yesterday when I installed the Droid x keyboard it kept f/c. So I know to remove that keyboard. So if you having f/c then you need to find out what app, or what is conflicting with your device.
And my device is running at the same speed, if not faster, then the incredible right now.
I am getting tired of forums complaining about how people hate their droids. If you have questions or just do not understand what is going on we can extend a hand. Other then that if you like it so be it; if not, its your hard earned money you do not need our permission to get another device.

iPirate

Reaction score
I'm not tired of the Droid per say... I'm just tired of how laggy it is. It's the choppiest phone I've ever owned and 50% of the apps foreclose every time I open them. Granted, 2.0 is still relatively new the Droid was designed over a year ago and visually... the phone has aged well, but the fact I need to root my phone and overload the processor just to make it run properly is downright disgusting.

Whatever makes it debut on Verizon first... Droid Pro or Iphone 4 will be my next phone.

We are all on 2.1+ buddy...

gumby0

Reaction score
Twoo. I've had these issues too. Then I tried using the fix permissions option In rom manager. And then like 3 minutes later my droid was running like new. I don't know how, but it did help a lot

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am so tired of my droid. The on screen keyboard is horrible. I hate how inaccurate it is. Although I did get used to the pk I don't like that I have to slide it open to send a message every single time. I can't use the phone while I'm laying down because if I do without fail the person I am talking to can not hear me. I hate with a passion that there is no way to end one call if you are in a three way call. Believe it or not I use my droid as a phone. It's a horrible music player. I hope the droid x will be much better than the droid. I might have to go back to the horrible att and get an iphone. :( I do love Verizon though. I pray that they release the iphone to verizon.
It sounds to me like you need to spend some time reading around here and trying some things out. There are a multitude of other keyboard apps that may or may not help depending, of course, on your personal preferences.

You might want to look at how you're holding the Droid to see if that has any impact on why others can't hear you. It's fairly well documented in many threads that anything blocking the 2nd mic for noise reduction can have an impact. Look into it.

As for call management, there's info on how to handle calls and I suspect you're just not aware of it.

If you're unhappy with the stock music app then look into the alternatives.

If you're just going to remain stock and complain then no Android device is likely to satisfy you. Android is very extensible but you have to take some initiative to make it yours. This site and others like it are very useful resources but you have to actually take the initiative to read, search and ask questions.

One device does not fit all so if the iPhone seems to be a better fit then by all means go for it.

but the fact I need to root my phone and overload the processor just to make it run properly is downright disgusting.
You don't need to. My Droid ran just fine on 2.0 and 2.1 though it does fly on 2.2. I'm not dismissing your issues. They definitely need to be addressed. I'm just pointing out that Droid can certainly run without lag or frequent FC's even without rooting or overclocking.

Overclocking != overloading. You might want to read up on the manufacture of microprocessors if you want the details but I can certainly understand not having time if you're a medical resident. I have a brother-in-law in med school that I almost never get to see.

Which means I'll be on my FOURTH replacement phone.
For the same reason(s) or have the replacements been for different issues?

And if anyone is curious... I'm a medical resident as of 3 weeks ago, I work 80-100 hours a week and my phone sits idle for 12-14 hours a day. It's not like it's under heavy use or anything. I've also never dropped it.
Not all issues are due to heavy use or physical damage though.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Hate to tell you this but almost every post I see like this the problem is an uneducated owner. They run task killers, despite the fact that we warn them not to. Virus protection, though it's not needed. Generally most of your problems you create for yourself.

A simple factory data reset out of your privacy section would clean up your phone for you and have it running like a champ.

Not sure if you noticed, but I've been a member since November... I'm not your typical ignorant Droid owner who runs task killer and virus protection. And no- this isn't my first Smartphone. It's my fourth.

I didn't notice when you had joined, not that it's important, I did look at your post count. I admit I found for someone to have that many post it was unusual to have these issues. But I still stand by what I say. Did you try a factory data reset like I suggested?

Sounds to me like you got your case all set up for early upgrade. BTW what smartphone did you have before?

KSR

Reaction score
Eh, stop complaining so much, dude. The Droid is customized to your liking so maybe try to learn how the phone is. And me, I've seen the iPhone, I've had two Blackberry phones already, and so far; my Motorola Droid is the best phone hands down. No contest. =)

The phone is confusing abit when you first get it, I know that, but its a great phone. Try getting used to it before you put it all down. >.<

Twoo

Reaction score

I didn't notice when you had joined, not that it's important, I did look at your post count. I admit I found for someone to have that many post it was unusual to have these issues. But I still stand by what I say. Did you try a factory data reset like I suggested?

Sounds to me like you got your case all set up for early upgrade. BTW what smartphone did you have before?

I'm not looking to upgrade for a while- I'm waiting (if it ever comes) for the Iphone4 or the DroidPro (pending official specs/design) and then I'll upgrade. My contract expires in November. The Droid X is a nice phone but I don't need a phone that large.

Before the Droid I had the Iphone 3g, Blackberry Pearl and Blackberry Curve.

Darkseider

Reaction score
After reading through the post again all I can say is read my sig :)