Tired of complaining about the Pre-Loaded Apps? See how to take action today!!

haproot

Reaction score
As much as I have to admit it, its not a motorola thing its vzw calling the shots. Ultimately vzw decides what they want customers to have on the devices. We can get motorola to tell vzw that customers are complaining but in the end if vzw tells moto to put it on then moto is gonna put it on. But dont give up hope. We asking for a compromise to be allowed to remove it but that will require them to put the apps on your sdcard and not your system folder.

Not exactly. They can put the apps in the /data/app folder (vs. putting it in the /system/app folder like it comes) at the factory, and that will give you the ability to delete it without havingg to be rooted.

Sent from my Xoom (again, finally!!) using Tapatalk

So if you were rooted, would you simply delete the files out of /system/apps and they would be gone with no issues?

Or do you just get the uninstall option after root?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you can but some otas, particularly with the dx and d2, look for those apps and if its not there it will not update.

Htown315

Reaction score
This should be sticky'd!!

@VZW...I bought the phone...its mine...let me delete the bloat

Last edited by a moderator:

bpowellAU

Reaction score
Here is my experience, He was less than helpful and obviously was not happy to be working.

chat_agent.png
Anthony: Hi, my name is Anthony. How may I help you?
chat_enduser_message.png
Ben Powell: I was just wondering about removing some of the needless software that usually comes with new android phones
chat_agent.png
Anthony: I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. No we can not do that, pre-loaded applications that came along with the phone can not be removed or deleted. Sorry.
chat_agent.png
Anthony: Would there be anything else?
chat_enduser_message.png
Ben Powell: but why not?
chat_enduser_message.png
Ben Powell: what does it accomplish other than irritating the customer?
chat_agent.png
Anthony: That's how it is programmed as per requested as well with our partner service carriers and to satisfy end user experience.
chat_agent.png
Anthony: I'm sorry but we do not have issues with it with other end users.
chat_enduser_message.png
Ben Powell: It doesn't satisfy end user experiences because I own the phone and therefore would like the possiblity to remove the software if I, the end user, deem it necessary too do so. How would one go about talking to your partner service carriers about this? The reason you don't have issues with other end users is because they do not know the steps to take or what to do about the issue because I guarantee that if you gave them the tools to remove the software that they didn't want that they would then do so.
chat_agent.png
Anthony: And we do not have that option. Removing it is like breaching a contract and hacking the phone. This is how it's manufactured and agreed upon with our partner service carrier so, sorry there is no way to do it.
chat_agent.png
Anthony: Would there be anything else then.
chat_agent.png
Anthony: ?
chat_enduser_message.png
Ben Powell: But my question is, Why do you not have that option? Apple does not let Verizion or AT&T load software on their phones so why can't Motorola do the same?
chat_agent.png
Anthony: As we are different manufacturer and we have different policies and securities.
chat_agent.png
Anthony: These programs are included for full user experience with the phone.
chat_agent.png
Anthony: Removing it will affect the program and the functionality of the phone.
chat_enduser_message.png
Ben Powell: Okay, I guess I will have to try someone else because you are being no help. Thank you.
chat_agent.png
Anthony: If you need any more information get in touch. Thanks from Motorola, bye!
chat_alert.png
Anthony has disconnected.

Donsell

Reaction score
Anthony: These programs are included for full user experience with the phone.

What a bunch of crock. Most of the installed programs are either trials or market programs. They're marketing and have nothing to do with the "full user experience".

Any reasonable person should be able to see that if they're going to load a trial version of a program, the user should have the option of removing it after the trial. Otherwise it's worse than worthless.

Friedo

Reaction score
Way to take action

I think this is an excellent way to go proactive and let the manufacturers know that there is a better way to do what they're doing, and that we the consumers do care.

My thoughts on some of the topics taken up here:

*To those who think this is a futile cause, maybe to you it is. If you throw the blame for a problem onto everyone or anyone else, you forfeit whatever ability to do something about it that you had. In every industry, nation, government, and organization, the changes that have been made were made because someone decided to make waves and let it be known that something needed to be improved. There's no reason that every person out there can't make their voices heard!

* If you want to win an argument, don't have an argument, show the other person how what you're saying in their best interest - get everyone on the same page!
Motorola is allowing this software to be mandatory on their phones because it's in their best interest to have that arrangement with the companies that they partner with. But they are also interested in providing what the people want, and it's a delicate balance. They're running a business, and want to make money. If they can partner with other companies, make revenues on additional software added to the phones, and it doesn't detract from their sales and satisfaction, then that's a double win for them. If we can show them that it does detract from the sales and satisfaction, and provide them with a better solution, they'll most likely adopt it.
As far as I can see, the solution is to make the additional software removable. Why? The average user that doesn't care enough to do something about it, won't. The companies get their desired advertising, and that user base is not adversely affected.
The users who want more control over their phones are still going to see all of the software and be exposed to it, try it if they like, etc, but with the option to remove/customize components that are certainly not core necessities for the phone(such as a NFS demo :), they will also be happier, and thus Motorola and it's partners get what they want, and all the users get what they want (Or be closer to it).
Since Apple is such a large competitor in the Smartphone market and they don't allow bundled software at all, this could actually put Motorola at an advantage for themselves to be able to have the additional revenue from partnering, but still satisfying many disgruntled users who want to actually have control over what's going on with their phones.

Just my .02.

I don't even have a droid yet cause I'm holding out for the Bionic, with d3 as backup in case Bionic flops. But VZ just told me they're expect 4g in two months in my area.... :happy: Maybe I'll call Moto Support and speak on behalf of their up and coming customer base :)

Beyond this is just an intro for me.

First post! W00t! :welcome: Been following for months, mainly looking for tasty bites about the Bionic. And it looks deelicious! :hb2:

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thank you ................

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
we also got a motorola Nexus which is awesome as well. :D

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Carrier bloatware will persist. Google doesn't have the guts to make it mandatory and I'm not sure why they don't.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If they limit the software where carrier can not touch the system then yes. Will they enforce it .... I think they will do so slowly.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I don't think the carrier or Google will ever totally eliminate bloat. The carrier bloat is their insurance that the user sees their advertisements, and that justifies carrier subsidized phones.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
True, and I think the compromise people are asking for is dont install it in system install it at the data level so people can remove it. And I think we will eventually see that as even manufacturers are installing less apps on the system level so they can update it faster. It is a matter of time before the carriers end up doing the same thing installing it on the data level versus system...not because of the customers but them seeing the advantage of being able to kick out faster updates and fixes.