Tired of complaining about the Pre-Loaded Apps? See how to take action today!!

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I wanted to add to this thread that I think this is more Verizon than Motorola. I mean maybe Motorola could say no to the pre-loaded apps, but Verizon has been the driver of this bus for as long as I can remember. I've been with them for a long time; my first phone when I switched from Cingular to Verizon was a Motorola product (I don't remember which model). At the same time I also purchased from Motorola's web site a phone tools package that would let me create ring tones from my music and other neat things. At some point Verizon had an update and that option was grayed out; they had disabled that feature. Wasn't that nice? I complained but it did no good, you know, one voice I guess. I never seen a forum as active as this one. If it's been said somewhere in the 20 pages of this thread, forgive me, but maybe we should shift all the complaints to Verizon.

Well you right but complaining to motorola helps because when vzw goes to them for a new device moto can tell vzw that customers are complaining about your preloaded apps and we do not want our sells dropping to the iphone because you are not allowing customers the option to delete.
So basically we need to complain to both to cover both ends. I also have been targeting motorola for a lot of their bloat motoblur included.

TheHow7zer

Reaction score
Hey, I only recently bought a used droid og with no plan and with the intent to use it on wifi only (no Verizon in Canada). But after reading through this whole thread (heck, I felt this way about bloat long before!) I feel for all of you who can't get rid of the bloat. So I decided to help in the ways that I can.

I just posted this on the moto youtube account homepage (I hope it gets approved):

Don't waste your time with these new phones, moto refuses to let users remove trail apps (bloat-ware) and locks down their bootloaders so that you can't remove the fugly MotoBlur user interface. Also, some of the apps that you cannot install don't ask you for permission like the other apps on the app store. For example: If you buy an app from the app store, it asks you for permission to accept or deny its request for services like sdcard access and internet access, and it is for your own safety. But apps that are pre-installed like Skype have access to your contacts (phone numbers, email addresses, etc) and to the internet! And were you ever given the choice to deny those programs the use of those services to protect your security? I don't think so!

Vote with your wallet folks, don't put up with something you don't like if you don't have to!

bhall238

Reaction score
...... If it's been said somewhere in the 20 pages of this thread, forgive me, but maybe we should shift all the complaints to Verizon.

Well you right but complaining to motorola helps because when vzw goes to them for a new device moto can tell vzw that customers are complaining about your preloaded apps and we do not want our sells dropping to the iphone because you are not allowing customers the option to delete.
So basically we need to complain to both to cover both ends. I also have been targeting motorola for a lot of their bloat motoblur included.

I totally agree. I should have said cc Verizon on everything we send to Motorola.

Good one TheHow7zer, let's put this out there everywhere. They can't keep ignoring us.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think im done beating around the bush I am going for truth. No more half steeping: This is what I really want.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My email to motorola corporate:

I am a concerned and loyal customer to the motorola android devices. I originally went from the iphone 3gs to the motorola droid on verizon. Despite the keyboard and headphone jack issues the device showed that motorola was on the right track. The original droid was the device that android users loved and held to a high standard. We told all our buddies that this is the BEST android device out yet despite its minor hardware flaw. Because of the hype from us you experience an influx in customers toward your android devices. As a company you did a good job in improving the hardware with the droid x and droid 2, which I now own. The increase in RAM and a better processor had the potential to produce a better device. But what happened?

You guys were too busy looking at HTC and wanting to do what they are doing by putting your own user interface on top of android. This user interface that you call Blur. As a result of blur the faster droid x and droid 2 runs worse than the original droid. Now customers who paid top dollar for an android device now have to wait almost 20 to 30 seconds for the device to wake up from sleep mode. The device lag is so far behind that apps are loading late on top of each other causing more lag and force closures. The customers have complained to you over and over about blur, blogs, forums, and internet news site cringe at a new motorola device with even the slightest hint of blur. Motorola owners are holding on to their droid 1 hoping that motorola would wake up and make a device with the hardware improvements of the future with the clean vanilla android o.s which is on the original droid. But as Apple and HTC continue to push out better devices customers are finally dropping the droid to jump ship to the other companies.

Are you going to listen to your fanbase and provide us with a device that we ask for?

We have been there and brought you from the grave and put you back on top. The droid line are seeing record sells and is finally providing the iphone with a true competitor and that is all because of us, the loyal customer. Our loyalty is running out, we are losing patience as we see your employees write on twitter, facebook, and Youtube that Blur and the current state of the device are here to stay and those who do not like it can buy something else. The Bionic went from the most desired device to being referred to as a hockey puck

. Is this what you as a company envisioned, to finally rise from the ashes to go back to nothingness?

To finally make a new division to losing money hand over fist?

You continue to put out devices that the customer see as inferior but cost the same as the iphone and you will be back to nothingness.

But we as a customer are here to help because we see what you can do and see the potential. So as a customer we ask for a device for us, the true android users, those who do not want to be loaded down with blur and locked down. We liked the droid because it was an open device that was clean and allowed for innovation. It also provided the customer with the choice and our choice was your hardware. We ask for a droid where we can choose the blur we want. There are some parts of BLUR that is actually useful like the backup assistant which should be on every droid. But their are other BLUR widgets and services that customers do not want forced on our device and slowing it down. Instead of forcing your UI on the customer allow for choice. Give us a clean android device with back up assistance and just put parts of your UI such as blur messaging, blur clock, blur music, blur home, etc on your own section of the android market. And allow us the user to be allowed to install what we want and leave off what we want. We came to you as customers for the hardware please leave the operating system alone and allow google to continue making the operating system. Keep the device open and allow users the ability of the true google experience to be able to install google's source o.s.

Even if you feel that not all the customers want a clean system some want preloaded apps and BLUR widgets. Then allow the customer to decide with our wallets. When you release a device loaded with blur and your custom UI, think of your loyal customers who want a true google experience device and release a device for them. This is a win/win for every one. As a company you are designing the same hardware but you are able to sell it to two different types of customers. For the average customer they get a nice device with a better built blur system that do not lag, plus they do not have to worry about going to the market for simple widgets so they are happy. And for the customer who want a device clean and a true google experience device that allow us to choose either google clean o.s we are happy. And because you are putting you BLUR widgets and services on the market you still will get exposure and those with the clean device may still choose to install certain blur apps and/or widgets as long as it can be removed later. So you have the same device that cost you no more to make but are selling with 2 different experience and you are making the hardcore android user and the average user happy. I see win/win for every one and the chance to propel you as the top android manufacturer.

You have a choice you can continue down the path ignoring your customers or you can listen and continue your growth. We hope you listen and I hold on to my droid hoping you will make a device for us. But my grip continues to slip more as HTC and Apple make devices that are clean and lag free while Motorola continues to push out high end devices running at mid end performance.

Thank You,

From a concerned and loyal customer and you can find more of us on droidforums.net

singer10

Reaction score
Here is my response from VZ

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. We are experiencing a higher than normal email volume and I apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry. My name is Sharlie and I received your email regarding the applications preloaded on your Droid 2 phone. I realize that it cab be upsetting when you are not pleased with the services that come on your phone. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I am happy to assist you.

I am emailing you in regards to our phone conversation today. As we discussed, Verizon Wireless is always looking for ways to better meet the needs of our customers. Your comments about the applications that came on your Droid phone have been forwarded to our Leadership department for review and consideration. Your feedback provides us with the perfect opportunity to hear exactly what you think, and often leads to improvements you will see in the future

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pc, Get a response? Its going to be a kanged answer. "We appreciate your feedback, thank your time"

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just as a side thought... Isnt it illegal to bundle payed software into a device? Kind of phrased funny i know, but didnt microsoft get sued because of it? (internet explorer being software) The trial software in a way is like this.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I expect it but like I told them, I have an upgrade coming up and I refuse to buy another droid that lags as bad as the droid x and droid 2. Yeah I can root and rom it, but I should not have to wait for a dev to make a blurless rom to enjoy my device when motorola just got paid 600 bucks, no matter if I paid full price or subsidized, motorola, apple, htc, samsung, they get the full price of the device in the bank when I upgrade. Plus after people expressed their feeling about moto on their youtube, facebook, twitter, and by phone, I think they will have to look at it. Because I have no plans in folding so its gonna be a matter of who will blink first.

sparty569

Reaction score
Wow...

Here is my interaction. She is trying to convince me that the blockbuster app is essential for the Android OS to run.

Rhea: Hi, my name is Rhea. How may I help you?

sparty569: Hi

sparty569: I have a question about future Motorola phones

Rhea: Hello, Jim. How can I help?

sparty569: I understand that the future Motorola phones will have locked boot loaders and come with bloatware that cannot be removed? Is that correct?

Rhea: I apologize for the inconvenience but preloaded application on the phone could not be deleted or removed.

sparty569: Why is that?

Rhea: Because that is already on the software of the phone.

sparty569: I understand that it is already on the phone, but why are the owners of these phones not able to uninstall it?

sparty569: It is decisions like this that make me want to look at another phone manufacturer for my next Android handset.

Rhea: I understand how you feel and my apologies for the inconvenience but we certainly could not remove it.

sparty569: What is the reason though? What is the business decision that forces equipment owners to have software that they do not use.

sparty569: On a computer, another device that I own, I can remove software that is on the computer if I do not use it.

Rhea: It is already on the system of the phone, Jim that we could not remove that.

sparty569: So a blockbuster app is essential for the Android operating system to run?

Rhea: Yes

Rhea: And we could not remove that as well.

sparty569: that does not seem like a smart decision on Google's part. To depend on a 3rd part application for the Google Android OS to run.

Rhea: I apologize. Rest assured that everything on my end is documented and recorded so that concern will not be taken for granted. We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you and want to assure you that Motorola does value your feedback We open a record for all consumer contacts which are then routed to the proper department for any further research.

sparty569: Ok...

sparty569: but I think my next phone may be an LG or Samsung.

Rhea: We respect that and my apologies once again for the inconvenience.

Rhea: Will there be anything else?

sparty569: I guess not.

Rhea: Thank you. If you need any more information get in touch. Thanks from Motorola, bye!

Rhea has disconnected.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I must be honest with you sparty, seeing her say that would have peaked my interest and I would have hounded her. Being we know the devices I would have hit her with the fact that people actually removed them and the os runs better and that bloatware is apps that can be removed with a simple ota that takes the apps out of the system folder. That is funny that she said that. Good job sparty.

bhall238

Reaction score
I dont know about you guys, but these "people" at Verizon...they sound like machines. I wonder if they are real. Has anyone gotten a response from any emails to Verizon? I have not yet gotten any.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nope and I dont expect we will know their decision for awhile. Ima guess after getting a bunch of complaints it will be brought up at a shift meeting. If it continues then the shift supervisor will tell his manager. And if it still continues the manager will bring it up at a managerial meeting. Eventually it will continue to go up the chain if it becomes such a nuisance that they are afraid it may hurt sales. This is probably the same with motorola, but motorola have more to lose the verizon. Verizon can advertise the heck out the iphone and just tell customers to switch to the iphone, they still will keep the customer and the data plan and that is all they care about. Motorola on the other hand loses out completely so that will put motorola in a bind and hopefully force their hand to do what it takes to keep the customer buying motorola. Motorola is not the only one on verizon with the droid line and they are not the only one in the android pot so they must compete with devices running similar o.s. as well as with apple. The decision makers from motorola will budge before verizon just cuz they have more to lose.