Tips to Help Improve Battery Life on ThunderBolt

want a droid

Reaction score
I wish the phone could charge quicker at least, in order to make up for the battery life.

For example, it takes me 4 hours to go from 100% to 30% and then I have to sit with it on the charger for 2-3 hours to go back from 30% to 100%.

I would be very ok with the battery dying in 4-6 hours if it could recharge in 1-2.

jdbaker82

Reaction score
I wish the phone could charge quicker at least, in order to make up for the battery life.

For example, it takes me 4 hours to go from 100% to 30% and then I have to sit with it on the charger for 2-3 hours to go back from 30% to 100%.

I would be very ok with the battery dying in 4-6 hours if it could recharge in 1-2.

Are you actually using a wall charger?

want a droid

Reaction score

Are you actually using a wall charger?
Yes.

10char

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Yes, it takes forever to charge. But I think something is up here. Because I've charged it to 100%, till the light turns green, unplugged, and plugged it back in and the top status light will stay orange for the next 1.7 hours even though everything says it's 100%.

mkjellgren

Reaction score
I forced stopped the processes like City ID and all that, but they keep popping up still. =/

Stop using task killers and force stopping apps then. You are using more power by making the app reload itself after being stopped than you would have if you just left the app run idle. The android system will close low priority apps on its own if it needs more resources. It's best to just let it do its thing and control the multitasking on its own. If you want to minimize battery drain while idle simply change the refresh intervals on apps that run in the background so they aren't constantly pulling data. Either that or set up all of your apps to only refresh manually.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
OK, so I did 2 hours of testing with medium usage (less than 10 mins of calls, less than 30 texts, little to no browsing) with WiFi on and WiFi off. It seems like WiFi is using a bit of battery - a 10% difference for me over 2 hours. Can the WiFi advanced settings be set to sleep? Unlike the OG Droid?

Edit --- Blah, just saw that in the advanced WiFi settings I have Best Wi-Fi Performance checked. I bet that's why I have 10% more consumption with WiFi vs not.

Last edited:

millbean

Reaction score
Could using juice defender be a viable option to help save battery?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Could using juice defender be a viable option to help save battery?
I tried Juice Defender yesterday and it was helping battery life. I was told about Green Power. The jury is still out on it for me, and might be going back to the Juice Defender Beta later tonight or tomorrow.

want a droid

Reaction score
Juice Defender/Ultimate Juice always did great things for me. I use the messaging application Kik though (which uses data) as my main communication with my girlfriend so unfortunately I can't have my data shutting off on me.

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
I highly recommend Elixir and its associated widgets, it has a quick toggle for just about every setting you can think of (except 4G/LTE). It helps me quickly turn things off and on or adjust them when I need to, thus helping save battery life in the process. Check it out! It is highly customizable and can take up as little or as much space on one of the screens as you want/need it to. Right now, I have it set up to show 15 things: free internal storage space, free RAM, CPU usage %, free SD storage space, toggle data auto-sync, network signal strength, WiFi signal strength, WiFi toggle, mobile hotspot toggle, bluetooth toggle, GPS toggle, airplane mode toggle, lock screen toggle, normal/vibrate/silent toggle, and brightness adjustment, and all that takes up less than half of one screen. I also placed a shortcut to Accounts & Sync (toggle background data and autosync) and Running Services (monitor processes) on that screen, and the Battery Left widget (highly customizable as well). With all of that, I can know and control exactly what is going on with my phone on one screen.

Last edited:

FrankXS

Reaction score
This thread presupposes that there is a battery problem based on speculation.
Actually the "Calibrate Battery" tip is one that is somewhat widely known and is applicable to virtually all Lithium Ion batteries in any device.

34. Calibrate" battery -

(1) Turn device ON, charge it for 8 hours (or until LED turns green),

(2) unplug and turn it OFF, plug it back in and charge for 1 hour (or until LED turns green),

(3) unplug and turn it ON, wait 2 minutes, turn it OFF, plug it back in, and charge for 1 hour (or until LED turns green),

(4) unplug it, turn it ON, and use normally.

-Frank

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
I always thought using a battery widget would be extra drain that I don't need. I came from a rooted OG Droid which had the % in the battery symbol. Now that I don't have that I'd like some way to track it. What do you guys/gals think about battery widgets causing extra drain? Apparently commentors think it does.

I have been using the HTC battery widget and haven't noticed any extra drain. It also has 1% increments and looks much nicer than any market battery widget I have ever tried. To get it you need to go to widgets>get more HTC widgets>battery>download.