Tips to Help Improve Battery Life on ThunderBolt

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt Battery Discussions' started by guitarchris123, Mar 14, 2011.

1. dbu

dbu New Member

My battery is teh fail...
  2. mkjellgren

mkjellgren New Member

Stop using task killers and force stopping apps then. You are using more power by making the app reload itself after being stopped than you would have if you just left the app run idle. The android system will close low priority apps on its own if it needs more resources. It's best to just let it do its thing and control the multitasking on its own. If you want to minimize battery drain while idle simply change the refresh intervals on apps that run in the background so they aren't constantly pulling data. Either that or set up all of your apps to only refresh manually.
  3. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

OK, so I did 2 hours of testing with medium usage (less than 10 mins of calls, less than 30 texts, little to no browsing) with WiFi on and WiFi off. It seems like WiFi is using a bit of battery - a 10% difference for me over 2 hours. Can the WiFi advanced settings be set to sleep? Unlike the OG Droid?

Edit --- Blah, just saw that in the advanced WiFi settings I have Best Wi-Fi Performance checked. I bet that's why I have 10% more consumption with WiFi vs not.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  4. millbean

millbean New Member

Could using juice defender be a viable option to help save battery?
  5. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I tried Juice Defender yesterday and it was helping battery life. I was told about Green Power. The jury is still out on it for me, and might be going back to the Juice Defender Beta later tonight or tomorrow.
  6. want a droid

want a droid New Member

Juice Defender/Ultimate Juice always did great things for me. I use the messaging application Kik though (which uses data) as my main communication with my girlfriend so unfortunately I can't have my data shutting off on me.
  7. guitarchris123

guitarchris123 New Member

I highly recommend Elixir and its associated widgets, it has a quick toggle for just about every setting you can think of (except 4G/LTE). It helps me quickly turn things off and on or adjust them when I need to, thus helping save battery life in the process. Check it out! It is highly customizable and can take up as little or as much space on one of the screens as you want/need it to. Right now, I have it set up to show 15 things: free internal storage space, free RAM, CPU usage %, free SD storage space, toggle data auto-sync, network signal strength, WiFi signal strength, WiFi toggle, mobile hotspot toggle, bluetooth toggle, GPS toggle, airplane mode toggle, lock screen toggle, normal/vibrate/silent toggle, and brightness adjustment, and all that takes up less than half of one screen. I also placed a shortcut to Accounts & Sync (toggle background data and autosync) and Running Services (monitor processes) on that screen, and the Battery Left widget (highly customizable as well). With all of that, I can know and control exactly what is going on with my phone on one screen.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  8. FrankXS

FrankXS New Member

Actually the "Calibrate Battery" tip is one that is somewhat widely known and is applicable to virtually all Lithium Ion batteries in any device.

-Frank
  9. dirtyfingers

dirtyfingers New Member

I have been using the HTC battery widget and haven't noticed any extra drain. It also has 1% increments and looks much nicer than any market battery widget I have ever tried. To get it you need to go to widgets>get more HTC widgets>battery>download.
  10. want a droid

want a droid New Member

I also use and like that app dirty.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App
  11. scaner

scaner New Member

Hello,,i was charge my phone for the night,wake up at 12 pm unplug and do some use on market,2 text,some surf on inet,and now is 5-18 pm and my phone is 66% ..lets see what hapening next ....if it will be go like this..i have my 14 days return,i will change to Droid global....:greendroid:
  12. want a droid

want a droid New Member

If your phone is down 44% in 5 hours then I wouldn't be complaining. I lost 30+% in under 2 hours.
  13. scaner

scaner New Member

This is just today without a usage like at work..yestarday was like 2 hours and like 60% gone..i was recharge twice..today its just seat next to me..im pick up my phone last thursday and will be testing,,and if it will be the same ,,i will say sorry my Thunder and exchange to GLOBAL....:hail:
  14. lckyforme

lckyforme New Member

Calibration

Well, I have did all of the steps for the calibration, so I will see how that goes. At my VZ I can return within 3 days without paying a 35$ restock fee, so Sunday is my deciding day. I hope this has helped the battery and I will ge that battery app, because I really love the phone in general.

Lisa
  15. scaner

scaner New Member

The phone is good fast..but one kiling is a batery life..its kill me..im will be wait alitlle bit and nothing changes...i will be exchange my phone...i hope HTC make a update to fix this problem..:greendroid:
  16. MadScientist

MadScientist New Member

Honestly I'm not sure what the issues with the batteries are. My wife's is doing fine and mine is as follows: Since Unplugged - 10:31, Awake Time - 7:42, 25% battery remaining, Display 80%, Droid forums 8%, Cell Standby 4%, System 3% Phone idle 3%, Wifi 2%. I've been back and forth on wifi and 3G today running on the stock battery. I've done mostly surfing the forums but also I've done some streaming of video from Japan tsunami as well. I really couldn't be happier with a stock battery considering the power of this phone and the fact that it's a smart phone. I've even had the GPS on all day as well (obviously it's actually been used sparingly based on programs need). I'm guessing it's just going to take people some time to see what they need/want for updating data for each program and such but I hope some don't make a rash decision based on one or two bad days of battery use.
  17. stevenas

stevenas New Member

Day 1: Charged as soon as I got it. 15% after 4 hours. I was using the s--t out of it though. A little worried.
    Day 2: Wake up, take it off charger. Normal use (a few calls, alot of txting, some pandora and youtube, but not downloading apps) - Got about 1/3 left after 8 hours.

This might not be so bad. Time will tell.
  18. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

17 hours @ 20%

Unplugged it at 7AM this morning, used it lightly, drove around in quite a bit of low signal area, made a few phone calls, lots of texts, some facebook use, mobile hotspot, and took a few photos. It's now almost midnight and still at 20%.
  19. Z06_Mir

Z06_Mir New Member

Today isn't going so well for me. I charged it around 1 pm sine I forgot to charge it last night. I unplugged it around 3 with the green light on. At 8 I went for a 30 min drive and plugged it into the car. I'm now at 45% and dropping fast. I lost 5% heating up some dinner with it in my pocket.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App
  20. want a droid

want a droid New Member

Here's today:

Wake up
    11:30am: Unplugged phone at 100%
    4:30pm: Plugged phone in at 30%
    4:30pm-6:15pm: Charged from 30%-100%
    6:15pm: Unplugged phone at 100%
    9:45pm: Plugged phone in at 30%
    9:45pm-11:15pm: Charged from 30% to 100%
    11:15pm: Unplugged phone at 100%
    1:00am: Plugged phone in at 50%
    Plugged phone in about to go to bed

or

100% to 30% in 5 hours
    Re-charged in 1 hour and 45 minutes
    100% to 30% in 3 hours and 30 minutes
    Re-charged in 1 hour and 30 minutes
    100% to 50% in 1 hour and 45 minutes

I leave Auto-Sync off, screen brightness on Automatic, and I am a “medium” user. I text a bit with my girlfriend, browse Facebook and twitter lightly (refresh every once in a while), and also check my email every once in a while.
Search tags for this page
how to extend battery life on htc thunderbolt
how to improve htc thunderbolt battery life
how to improve thunderbolt battery life
how to save battery life on htc thunderbolt
how to save battery life on thunderbolt
how to save battery on htc thunderbolt
htc thunderbolt battery life
htc thunderbolt battery life tips
htc thunderbolt battery tips
htc thunderbolt tips
save battery on thunderbolt