Tips on conserving the battery

AllForNaught

Reaction score
I do a level 2 wipe after a given session - it keeps all the necessary functions running, including Launchers.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

broderp

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but related...

If the Android OS is so good at managing mempry and CPU usuage, how come after shutting of many apps they simply pop right back up?

Email aps are bad for this. Even with settings for manual syc etc. I still have certain apps automatically starting even after using the task manager AND ATF for Froyo to shut them down. They just wont die! :icon_evil:

I currenly also have the app SystemPanel installed so I can monitor what are the most offending apps.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score

If the Android OS is so good at managing mempry and CPU usuage, how come after shutting of many apps they simply pop right back up?

Email aps are bad for this. Even with settings for manual syc etc. I still have certain apps automatically starting even after using the task manager AND ATF for Froyo to shut them down. They just wont die! :icon_evil:

I currenly also have the app SystemPanel installed so I can monitor what are the most offending apps.

See this thread:http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

Do not use any type of tasker killer besides the built in memory manager that Samsung has provided with the phone. Do not use an automatic task killer ever. Task killers work against the Android OS as it has built in task management. You can kill them but the Android OS will do what it wants regardless, thats why things keep opening up. Its better to only kill apps every once in a while that are choking the processor or memory, as touchwiz sometimes interferes with the memory management process.

Jamis0n

Reaction score

What you are experiencing with apparently showing up immediately after killing are processes. Processes are needed for web-like connection that is involved with other apps. Its explained in the link previously posted. Android is completely different from anything you can imagine =]…

COMROM 2.0
OTB 1.6

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Ok where to begin where to begin....
First off i know you mean well but android DOES NOT NEED TASKS TO BE KILLED! end of story, yes even the app killer in touchwiz is bad android can handle its resources fine itself...

LAY OFF THE ANTI VIRUS AND TASK KILLERS PERIOD!

Well...you're wrong. The TouchWhiz task killer works perfectly for shutting down apps that would otherwise be constantly running in the background (browser, music player, many gaming apps among others) - you're saying it's BETTER to leave these running?! Not.

I use it every time I'm finished with a given session - it knocks the ram back to around 134mb on my device, and keeps it there until I start something else up. Otherwise there's well over 200mb being used in the background.

I don't recommend auto-task killer apps however, because they're just layered on top of the stock TK and running up the ram useage even more

The OP can get battery life like this if he heeds some of the mentioned advice:

View attachment 34214

sure he can. Heck I bet he can get battery life like that right now. Don't be misleading though, OP obviously USES his phone instead of keeping it in his pocket all day.

AllForNaught

Reaction score
sure he can. Heck I bet he can get battery life like that right now. Don't be misleading though, OP obviously USES his phone instead of keeping it in his pocket all day.

Brilliant. Well, I'll take it a step further, and presume I use it MORE than the op.

Let's post more stuff that's non constructive: Every day useage for me includes (but isnt limited to) -

Dozens Email reciepts.

Dozens of pages/calls at work (Hospital. Maintenance. Team leader) answered/made.

Intensive utility function (calc, pdf. of all hospital extensions, pdf. schematics and blueprints of several hospital systems, flashlight, memo pad, camera, bluetooth, wifi, emergency scanner radio, etc.)

...and that's just while I'm @ work for 8.5 hours... so to continue:

Dozens of Facebook visits

Uploading/downloading tracks to/from Soundcloud (to share original music ideas with bandmates)

Full length movies (airplane mode on)

Light to moderate gaming (airolane mode on)

Moderate daily use of TubeMate to download mp3's/videos.

Mobile metronome pro for guitar practice.

Moderate net browsing (usually only in wifi areas - not exclusively)

Voice recorder for quick song sketches daily.

light video camera use.

Moderate Pisay Pro picture editing daily.

Several daily droidforum visits.

Dozens of sms.

And probably missed a couple, but this is pretty accurate daily use.

broderp

Reaction score

What you are experiencing with apparently showing up immediately after killing are processes. Processes are needed for web-like connection that is involved with other apps. Its explained in the link previously posted. Android is completely different from anything you can imagine =]…

COMROM 2.0
OTB 1.6

An droid OS is dumb. :icon_eek: Why would anyone write code that constantly runs/ restarts processes about games or ther apps after they are shut off? (And keep restarting them, such as messaging and email sync, web browser?)

For the record I turn off:
Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, gps & mobile date if not being used. I also do a level 2 swipe religiously. Granted my usage has been fairly light, only 20 or so texts, 1 picture text and about 15 minutes data usage.

I have ATK for Froyo running, as well as SystemPanel and a Live wallpaper. I've so far been on battery power for over 1 day, 8 hours and 30 minutes.

Not to shabby. :icon_ banana: As of right now, I am down to about 29% battery.

I just UNINSTALED ATK. I'm curious if this will help. What REALLY helped (going from about 13-15 hours to the above) was removing all but one WIDGET. I had both the bing and google widgets as well as the weather bug clock and task manager widget all running. Now I only have the weather bug clock widget running (not autoupdating) and shortcuts to the task manager. BIG difference. :iphone:

Last edited:

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Honestly the thing that kills the most battery when it comes down to it is screen brightness. If one takes auto brightness off and sets it to 40% or lower, that will improve battery too. It's good that you got rid of ATK, because that is just not good for the system. 1 day is pretty good for battery though.

AllForNaught

Reaction score
Honestly the thing that kills the most battery when it comes down to it is screen brightness. If one takes auto brightness off and sets it to 40% or lower, that will improve battery too. It's good that you got rid of ATK, because that is just not good for the system. 1 day is pretty good for battery though.

I agree. But I mostly have mine on the lowest setting - I have a brightness toggle app ( not widget!!!) in my Go Launcher EX dock: very handy to simply slide the brightness up when needed, and down when indoors.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Toggle apps do come in handy. I have quick settings in my notification bar.

Sent from my fascinate

broderp

Reaction score
Toggle apps do come in handy. I have quick settings in my notification bar.

Sent from my fascinate

Where does one find these toggle apps (Not widgets?) I searched on the market, but not sure what I'm seeing is an app or widget most of the time. Alos the selection up there is pretty weak.

I find many widgets (some are quite nice) but they are battery drains.

Does a phone have to be rooted to use them (toggle apps)?

broderp

Reaction score

COMROM 2.0
OTB 1.6

An droid OS is dumb. :icon_eek: Why would anyone write code that constantly runs/ restarts processes about games or ther apps after they are shut off? (And keep restarting them, such as messaging and email sync, web browser?)

For the record I turn off:
Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, gps & mobile date if not being used. I also do a level 2 swipe religiously. Granted my usage has been fairly light, only 20 or so texts, 1 picture text and about 15 minutes data usage.

I have ATK for Froyo running, as well as SystemPanel and a Live wallpaper. I've so far been on battery power for over 1 day, 8 hours and 30 minutes.

Not to shabby. :icon_ banana: As of right now, I am down to about 29% battery.

I just UNINSTALED ATK. I'm curious if this will help. What REALLY helped (going from about 13-15 hours to the above) was removing all but one WIDGET. I had both the bing and google widgets as well as the weather bug clock and task manager widget all running. Now I only have the weather bug clock widget running (not autoupdating) and shortcuts to the task manager. BIG difference. :iphone:

Just an update, I have gone 2-3 charge cycles now without killing any apps with any program. It appears, at least to me on my stock Samsung facinate I500 with Verizon that killing apps DOES help battery life. Good or not for the OS, it works.

I was getting up to 38 hours on a charge prior to starting this test. After starting, I am only getting about 28~30 hours. :icon_eek:

you can argue either side, and even the system panel program I use says to not kill running processes in the Android system, but unless myusuage changed, and I don't think it did, then it seems to work for me.