Tips for traveling out of country

OP
A

alucardx

Reaction score
just did some digging around on Maverick, it looks pretty cool and works fairly well even with the free version for just looking at maps offline.

check out:
Maverick - GPS navigation for Android with offline maps support.
Online Help: Maverick
List Of MapTilePacks - AndNavWiki

So let me see if I understand since I am going to Switzerland in a couple of weeks - I can download Maverick to my phone, create a map of the area I am in using Google Maps and then download this map to the phone. Then Maverick will track my position on the map?

So GPS on the Droid works overseas; it can actually access the Satellites over there?

i'm not 100% on the downloading of the map part. if you look at Maverick's site they reference a free program Atlas Trak or something where you can create your own .PNG maps. Alternatively I found MapTilePacks (3rd link) of maps already created sorted by country. And if you check the 2nd link, the help page, look under offline maps and it will tell you how to convert these to Maverick format so you can use these already created MapPacks.

I'm also pretty sure GPS will work anywhere and obviously shouldn't go over the cell network data plan (3g) or Wifi for that matter, just like in a car. hopefully someone else can confirm.

OP
A

alucardx

Reaction score
i got the map for Barbados working last night.

Had to download the mappack from that link above. Download a program called extension changer that is linked within the Marverick help file. Unzip the mappack on PC, drag and drop the \mapnik folder onto the extension changer window, select change all subfolders, and put in "tile" as the extension. once this finished, copy the \mapnik folder to your SDcard under \maverick following the directions in their helpfile. select overwrite all, and it worked.

using the program itself took a little getting used to it has a lot of extra stuff for geocaching but i only want to use it for the map. i don't think it does navigation or directions like googlemaps would but you can at least see the map on your phone and navigate yourself the old fashioned way.

dro

Reaction score
When I travel outside of my service area I just turn on airplane mode and wifi. Find wireless somewhere and use google talk or whatever you prefer for you messaging needs. For calls, I use Tubaloo, it is the only free VOIP app I have found so far that isn't ridiculous to set up. There is a slight delay with the VOIP calls but it is bearable as long as the other party understands this, lol. Basically, the other party will hear what you are saying a couple seconds late and vis versa. Would not recommend it for any sort of business calls, but for a quick call to the wife or something it works.

Also, with airplane mode on your GPS will barely work, if at all. This may have been user error or a problem on my end, but it positioned me over 300 miles away, after taking 10 minutes to get a location. This was in airplane mode with wifi and gps turned on.

thrgd456

Reaction score
Travel to UK

I'm vacationing for the first time in the UK this summer. I love my droid and I think I'll bring it.

I'm hoping someone here has taken their US droid over the Atlantic.

I'd like to use it for a GPS unit. Will it work over there? How can I download maps for London before I go? I guess I won't be able to download maps on 3g as I'm walking around.

Wifi is the same over there as here, so I guess I'll be able to use it. What is the best VOIP app for the droid for calling back here to the US while I'm there?

I'm taking an old phone and I'll just get a Orange SIM card to stick in it. The phone I'm taking is a Motorola Razr V3 from ATT. Will it have to be unlocked before I can use it over there?

Thank you for any help.

OP
A

alucardx

Reaction score
For some reason my wifi refused to turn on when I was either in airplane mode or in roaming out of country.. the check box would turn on but the icon in status bar never came up and wouldn't do anything tried I tried to scan for networks

wfholcom

Reaction score
Great thread. I am going to Costa Rica in the summer and thought about this as well. The only app I thought of using was Gtalk and possibly using Google Voice. I know Gtalk is a free service but wasn't sure if using GoogleVoice would count against my minutes. Wi-fi is definitely going to be used. Other than that, I don't see the need to use my Verizon plan while flying overseas. Any suggestions would be great. :)

-Fred

I used my Droid in Costa Rica in January. I called Verizon first to see if there was any chance of unwanted minutes accruing there. Since there is no CDMA service there, there is no chance of unwanted minutes. WiFi worked fine when available. Navigation would not work for me, but I didn't try to use GPS only (turning off "Use Wireless Networks"). From other posts on this forum, I believe there is no way for Navigation to work there. I believe maps will work however. I don't know if you would be charged any minutes for calling on WiFi with Skype or Fring. I wouldn't think so, but I saw a recent segment on the news where T-mobile charged a customer for a WiFi call.

I didn't actually make any calls but I did use Facebook and E-mail with success and no charges.

nickv84

Reaction score
If you visit a CDMA-enabled country then you can upgrade and prorate your data plan to the international plan for unlimited access. It's only an additional $1.30 per day and works great.

PatG

Reaction score
I am currently in Switzerland. Not much in the area of WiFi hotspots and I have my laptop anyway. However, I did download MapDroyd and the map for Switzerland. Turned it on, but nothing happened when I pressed My location. So I am not sure Satellite works over here.