[TIP]Videos on DROID/Milestone

husker_fan

Reaction score
I'm very new to this, I followed everything correctly, but the part about downloading xvid codec and then using it confuses me, can someone explain a little further

bastosero

Reaction score
I'm very new to this, I followed everything correctly, but the part about downloading xvid codec and then using it confuses me, can someone explain a little further

Sure...XviD is a video codec which is necessary to play video files requiring them and if you also want to convert videos using that codec. If you don't know what XviD is, chances are that codec isn't installed on your computer. Just do a google search for "latest XviD Codec download" (without the parenthesis). Once you have downloaded the file, just install it how you would normally install an application. You do not have to do anything else once it is installed (unless your very familiar and an expert with its settings and video codecs in general). After the codec is installed, you can now choose it as your "Video Codec" of choice to convert your DVD or other video file.

bastosero

Reaction score
Followed all steps, video and sound is blotchy

Did you download and install the XviD codec before you converted? What did you use to convert on XMedia Recode, DVD files or a video file? If it was a video file, what type of file was it and what were the original info on the video file, like resolution and size of the file?

naman919

Reaction score
So I finally checked and tinkered with XMedia Recode and it was actually easy to use. The only thing that I don't like about it is how slow it converts the files, but it works. Personally, I use a different converter since it's faster. Anyway, there is a way to convert your DVD or other video files so that you can use the whole screen of the Droid without having the black bars. I'm going to list the step by step below on how to do this. I tried it with a 701 MB video file and the final output after converting it was 990.47 MB. You will need to download and install the XviD codec. Just google it, download the codec installer and install. Let me know if you guys have any questions about this.

How to Convert Without the Black Bars (Full Screen on Droid):

1. Rip your DVD to get te DVD files or find your video that you want to convert and open XMedia Recode

2. Load your DVD or other video file (choose the appropriate one on the top - DVD or Movie)

3. Go down to the "Format" tab and choose "Custom" for "Profile:" box

4. Choose "MP4" for the "Format:" box

5. On the right, put the dot on "Video and Audio" for the "Output stream type" box

6. Choose "XviD" for "Video Codec" box (you will need to install the XviD codec on your computer to use this, just google XviD codec)

7. Choose "AAC" for "Audio Track 1" box and same for "Audio Track 2" box (if you choose the other ones, the file size will get bigger)

8. Put a check on "Audio/Video synchronisation" box

9. Next, go back up and go to the "Crop/Preview" tab

10. Put "854" for "Width:" box and "480" for "Height:" box (854 x 480 is the Droid's screen resolution)

11. Go down to the "Destination:" box and choose where you want to save the file that will be converted

12. Click Encode on the very top of XMedia Recode to start converting (it will take quite some time to finish so be patient - around an hour)

13. After converting your video, just put it in Droid and enjoy! :icon_ banana:

Just to be clear, don't change the other settings that you see in there, unless it's mentioned in the steps above, or unless you really know what you're doing and changing. I convert/make/edit/rip/burn/transfer videos quite frequently and it's kind of a hobby to me so if you have a question just let me know.

followed all these steps, editing step 10 to "848" pixels, and it worked fine.

The sound is off by a hair, but might have been this conversion. will try again later.

Ideas for getting the sound just right? Video is a couple ms behind.

bastosero

Reaction score
So I finally checked and tinkered with XMedia Recode and it was actually easy to use. The only thing that I don't like about it is how slow it converts the files, but it works. Personally, I use a different converter since it's faster. Anyway, there is a way to convert your DVD or other video files so that you can use the whole screen of the Droid without having the black bars. I'm going to list the step by step below on how to do this. I tried it with a 701 MB video file and the final output after converting it was 990.47 MB. You will need to download and install the XviD codec. Just google it, download the codec installer and install. Let me know if you guys have any questions about this.

How to Convert Without the Black Bars (Full Screen on Droid):

1. Rip your DVD to get te DVD files or find your video that you want to convert and open XMedia Recode

2. Load your DVD or other video file (choose the appropriate one on the top - DVD or Movie)

3. Go down to the "Format" tab and choose "Custom" for "Profile:" box

4. Choose "MP4" for the "Format:" box

5. On the right, put the dot on "Video and Audio" for the "Output stream type" box

6. Choose "XviD" for "Video Codec" box (you will need to install the XviD codec on your computer to use this, just google XviD codec)

7. Choose "AAC" for "Audio Track 1" box and same for "Audio Track 2" box (if you choose the other ones, the file size will get bigger)

8. Put a check on "Audio/Video synchronisation" box

9. Next, go back up and go to the "Crop/Preview" tab

10. Put "854" for "Width:" box and "480" for "Height:" box (854 x 480 is the Droid's screen resolution)

11. Go down to the "Destination:" box and choose where you want to save the file that will be converted

12. Click Encode on the very top of XMedia Recode to start converting (it will take quite some time to finish so be patient - around an hour)

13. After converting your video, just put it in Droid and enjoy! :icon_ banana:

Just to be clear, don't change the other settings that you see in there, unless it's mentioned in the steps above, or unless you really know what you're doing and changing. I convert/make/edit/rip/burn/transfer videos quite frequently and it's kind of a hobby to me so if you have a question just let me know.

followed all these steps, editing step 10 to "848" pixels, and it worked fine.

The sound is off by a hair, but might have been this conversion. will try again later.

Ideas for getting the sound just right? Video is a couple ms behind.

Yeah on step "10" it's supposed to be 848 x 480. I put the Droid's resolution on the parenthesis and put it "854" for the "Width:" by accident. Also, I'm gonna check and convert a couple more files to check the consistency of using XMedia Recode and possibly re-write the steps, so check back for the info.

Now, to address your problem, see if you forgot to put a check mark on the "Audio/Video synchronisation" box. If you forgot, put one there and test it. If you DID put a check mark there, try to un-check it and test it that way. Let me know if it worked or not. Another possible cause might be the file source. Check the file that you converted to see if the audio and video are synched.

oshizo

Reaction score
okay i am following the steps atm. but i have a dumb ass question what is the mobile version for and where do i download it? to my comp and xfer it to my droid or i don't need it?

bastosero

Reaction score
okay i am following the steps atm. but i have a dumb ass question what is the mobile version for and where do i download it? to my comp and xfer it to my droid or i don't need it?

You only need the portable version if you're using a public computer. You don't need it unless you're using someone else's computer. It will just place all the necessary files to the folder or directory that you unzip it at.