TIP REQUEST: Fastest way to dial the phone

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by CurGeorge8, Dec 27, 2011.

1. CurGeorge8

CurGeorge8 New Member

I've had my Bionic since mid-October now, and as a former long-time Blackberry user (almost 5 years), I am very pleased with the switch to Android from BB, with one exception. I cannot find a quick & simple way to dial the phone.

With the Blackberry, I simply had to be on the home screen and I could call someone, either by dialing their number or simply typing in their name.

With Android, it seems to always bee a multi-step process. I have to go to the home screen, then click on the phone icon. Then, I have to make sure the phone icon is on the dialer (which I can type in the name or number), or on Contacts. From there, I can click on the search icon and find a name that way. I have 1,000+ contacts, so using the slider on the right-hand side isn't very practical.

What I want to be able to do is hit one button from the home screen and be able to start dialing by name or number. I have not yet found a way to make the phone icon always pull up the dialer when I click it (it seems to revert to the last icon used).

So, I'm looking for tips, hints, widgets, apps, suggestions, etc. that can help me to dial the phone as quickly & with as few button presses as possible.
  2. kylo77

kylo77 New Member

Voice Dialing! Press the button and say call John Smith mobile or call home. It will locate the contact (as long as it is in your address book) and dial the number for you ( I think it works for numbers as well but never tried it myself). If you are calling someone as a response to an email and they list their phone number in the email or in their signature if you press and hold the phone number it should bring up the dialer.
  3. lyrictenor1

lyrictenor1 New Member

Try setting the "double tap home key" to take you straight to the dialer app.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  4. CurGeorge8

CurGeorge8 New Member

Voice commands still doesn't work like it should, & I always spend extra time telling it 'no....no....no' and getting frustrated with it. And yes .... I did train it to my voice. Its useful in the car, but not practical for constant use. That, and who wants to announce loudly who they're calling in a office or other public place.

I tried the double tap home key as well, but the dialer app acts the same way as it does being an icon, it opens to the last screen you used (dialer, recent, contacts or favorites).

I guess the best solution would be to have the dialer application always open to the actual dialer screen, but I have not been able to find a setting or shortcut to make that happen. The dialer app always seems to open to the last known state.
  5. rck76

rck76 DF Super Moderator Premium Member

If you long press on the home screen, select shortcut, them direct dial, you can select a direct dial number to add to your homescreen.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  6. CurGeorge8

CurGeorge8 New Member

Yea, thats good, but its essentially the same thing as 'Quick Contacts' widget (which I use & love). The challenge is, I make a lot of calls to a wide variety of contacts, so its just not practical.
  7. lanza_david

lanza_david New Member

Try this, touch search, type name, touch contact to dial.

8. lanza_david

lanza_david New Member

Also, when going into the phone app, touch search to search for contact.

9. rza49311

rza49311 New Member

10. CurGeorge8

CurGeorge8 New Member

This look pretty compelling, but I had some trouble installing it. I ended up in some permission loop where it would keep asking for some setting to be changed, I'd try to change it, and it would ask it to be changed again. I was able to break the loop, noticed it had installed two copies of the application, so I uninstalled it & re-booted. Is there a developer site anywhere for this program, couldn't find one through the market.
  11. lanza_david

lanza_david New Member

Just search

If in the BB you could just type the name, you can do just that by touching search (the magnifying glass) and type. I do that and think it is pretty quick, isn't it?

12. rza49311

rza49311 New Member

I'm not sure.
  13. zomnomnombie

zomnomnombie Active Member

I'm not sure if this works on the Bionic but on my Droid 2 I can make a shortcut to my Dialer and then it asks me which part of my Dialer it wants the shortcut to point to (Recent, favorites, dialer).

Just long press the homescreen>shortcuts>dialer.

I am using ADW Launcher by the way. So if you don't have that option stock/with your launcher maybe that would be a solution.

Sent from my R2 unit using DroidForums
  14. arcopress

arcopress New Member

You could also use Launcher Pro Plus (paid version), and put the scroll-able People Widget on a dedicated page. Then it's 2 steps. Tap the contact, tap dialer.
  15. CurGeorge8

CurGeorge8 New Member

It would be ... if it didn't lock up all the time. The search bar seems to always hang 2-3 seconds after I start typing in it, and locks up for 5-6 seconds before it starts responding again.
  16. CurGeorge8

CurGeorge8 New Member

Perfect! Thats exactly what I was looking for. Then, I was able to drag that icon overtop the phone icon on the dock and it replaced it with the icon that goes straight to the dialer.

It's odd that you can't add that icon to the dock using the press-and-hold method that you add other icons with.
  17. saltrock

saltrock New Member

use home+ + launcher and their is an icon in the lower left corner that will take you directly to the dial screen

18. CurGeorge8

CurGeorge8 New Member

Can you give me some more information on this?
  19. ripper2860

ripper2860 Member

Many ways to get there, but I use Go Launcher EX w/ Go Locker. This adds a lockscreen with an option to go straight to the DIALER. Both are free.
  20. saltrock

saltrock New Member

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Go to market and find home+ +. It's a launcher to replace the stock launcher. I like a lot of the features. I've been using it since my Droid 1.it has a lot of convenient features that I can't seem to get with other launchers.

Search tags for this page
android fastest way to dialing phone
go directly to dialer on droid x
how do i get dialer to show home on razr

how do you put phone dialer favorites on home screen droid 3

how to dial faster

how to get dial pad on home screen of galaxy 3

how to make a direct dial shortcut on a galaxy s3

how to put the asterisk in dial pad

how to show dialer pad on home screen on an android phone
insert space in dialer s3