Timezone Issue?

EVSP

Reaction score
I've been getting a strange notification on my phone that says "set current time - choose a city from the list below to set your current timezone".. I paraphrased a little with the verbiage but any else seeing this?

Thanks!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

fmcgirt

Reaction score
I've been getting a strange notification on my phone that says "set current time - choose a city from the list below to set your current timezone".. I paraphrased a little with the verbiage but any else seeing this?

Thanks!

No, I haven't got that message but if I use the Automatic Network Time Setting in Settings my time is an hour off because it picks the wrong time zone: Pacific Std Time instead of Mountain Std Time so I am using the Manual Time Setting for now. Hopefully an update will fix this.

OP
EVSP

EVSP

Reaction score
No, I haven't got that message but if I use the Automatic Network Time Setting in Settings my time is an hour off because it picks the wrong time zone: Pacific Std Time instead of Mountain Std Time so I am using the Manual Time Setting for now. Hopefully an update will fix this.

Hmm, weird

regbs

Reaction score
Me too. Something is detecting the time zone incorrectly one time zone to the west

I'm in Central Time (GMT-5/6) but it detects my phone in Mountain Time (GMT-6/7) . I saw fmcgirt's post about being in Mountain Time but getting set to Pacific Time (GMT-7/8) .

A VZW tech suggested I incrementally stop and clear the caches of every running and downloaded app. That worked, but when I turned my phone off then back on, the phone set itself back again to one time zone too far west.

I'm going through the many apps I have one at a time, in the mean time, here are my apps from the ShareMyApps app to see if there is a common element in our situations:
ActionPotato (1.1.4)
Adobe Flash Player 11.1 (11.1.112.60)
Advanced Task Killer Froyo (1.1.9B20)
AirAttack HD Part 1 (1.7.2)
Amazon (1.3.0)
Angry Birds (2.1.0)
ASTRO (ASTRO_3.0.247.std)
Barcode Scanner (3.72)
BEST TIC TAC TOE (1.4.7)
Cache Cleaner NG (2.15)
Car Locator (3.98)
Chrome to Phone (2.2.0)
ConvertPad - Unit Converter (2.0.0)
Docs (1.0.30)
DroidFish (1.38)
Flashlight (3.9.9.15)
FlightTools E6B (1.93)
Goggles (1.7)
Google Sky Map (1.6.4)
Google Voice (0.4.2.38)
GPS Status (3.8.1)
GPS2GoogleEarth (1.2.4.1)
Groupon (1.11.1868)
IMDb (2.4.2)
Lookout (7.0-94024ef)
MonkeyKickOff (1.3.1)
MorseCoder (2.0.1)
Movies (3.9.1)
Navy Clock (2.0)
Paper Toss (1.0.9)
PapiMissile (1.1.6)
PapiOrange (1.2.10)
Robo Defense (2.3.2)
ShareMyApps (3.1.2)
Shazam (3.7.2-BB73576)
Shopper (2.3)
Skype (2.6.0.95)
SoundHound (2.8.4)
Speed Test (2.0.8)
Springpad (2.4.3)
Talking Tom (1.6)
Translate (2.3)
U.S. Bank (1.3.8)
UltraChron (1.9.3)
USAA (4.2)
VoiceTask (1.3)
Wifi Analyzer (3.0.2)

Generated by ShareMyApps

Google, Verizon and Samsung ought to be following these forums, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

vzw Galaxy Nexus LTE (Android 4.0.2, Build ICL53F)

fmcgirt

Reaction score
I'm in Central Time (GMT-5/6) but it detects my phone in Mountain Time (GMT-6/7) . I saw fmcgirt's post about being in Mountain Time but getting set to Pacific Time (GMT-7/8) .

A VZW tech suggested I incrementally stop and clear the caches of every running and downloaded app. That worked, but when I turned my phone off then back on, the phone set itself back again to one time zone too far west.

Sorry, but I should have replied back here before now. After I posted here about once a week I changed my setting from manual to auto and reset my phone and finally, after about two weeks, it stayed in the correct setting so VZ must have done something to correct the problem. We have had a few service outages in the ABQ area in the past month so maybe something got changed during one of those outages to fix the problem. As far as I know I did nothing to help the situation.

The apps that we do have in common are Adobe Flash Player, Google Sky Map, GPS Status, SpeedTest, US Bank and all are latest version updates.

I would bet this is a VZ problem caused by something in your local area support framework that they haven't fixed yet, especially since it happened to me on a brand new phone with no extra apps installed.

regbs

Reaction score
fmcgirt, Thanks for the reply and telling me what apps we have in common.
This might have been fixed as I drafted this reply. I have noticed this issue on my phone since Tues, Dec 27, 2011.

My problem seemed to correct after I stopped and cleared the caches of all my apps. That would suggest it wasn't a network issue. But the issue's reappearance after turning the phone off and on suggests it was a network issue with something pinging the net during bootup.

fmcgirt

Reaction score
I guess I spoke too soon. Mine is not fixed. I switched from WiFi to 4G a couple of hours ago to run SpeedTest and forgot to switch back. I just noticed that my clock was on Pacific Time instead of Mountain Time so I switched back to WiFi and restarted. Now it has been solid on MST for about an hour. Think I will go back to 4G to see what happens.

I am pretty sure this has not happened before because I use my phone to check the time pretty often when I am out of the house and on 4G so automatic switching apparently does not cause a problem for me.

This is pretty crazy!!!

fmcgirt

Reaction score
After staying in 4G for about 20 mins back goes the time to PST so it looks like if I stay in WiFi the time is OK and if I stay in 4G it gets screwed up so I am setting it manually until VZ gets the thing fixed.

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
this phone is so awesome! i am in nj and it's already 2012 according to my rezound. TIME TRAVEL BISHES!

OP
EVSP

EVSP

Reaction score
Well I hadn't had this timezone issue happen again since I started this thread (go figure) but I did notice recently that the clock was about 7 minutes behind even though it was set on "automatic - use network provided values"... When I originally got this phone, the clock WAS correct. I don't know what happened to cause it to magically be slow but I had to set it to manual... It's weird.

paul_htc_not

Reaction score
Check your time zone while on daylight saving time. Does it get the correct time zone? Does anyone else this same problem?

After many hours spend debugging a problem that have with a calendar sync I have discovered a software issue with Verizon software on my HTC Rezound phone. The problem is that the automatic time and timezone setting gives the incorrect timezone. I live near Portland, OR and am currently on Pacific Daylight Time yet the time zone reported is Mountain Standard Time. This is the same offset form GMT but the calendar programs including the sync to gmail use the time zone and daylight saving time to sync their calendars. The incorrect time zone causes events scheduled now for November (off daylight savings) to be off by one hour. People may not notice the time shift until they miss a plane or meeting.