Time To Upgrade: Need advice. S5 vs Note 4 vs LG G3 vs Moto Turbo

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If the choices, the only one I'd upgrade to at this point would be the G3. I came from a Note2 to a G2 and it's very very nice having a mega sized screen on a normal sized handset. The s pen is awesome but the multi tasking of the G2 made me surprisingly not miss it at all. I don't miss Touch Wiz, or the Samsung bloat at all either.
Since you're a Moto fan I'd suggest look at that one hardest.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Of those, I'd have to go Turbo. Build quality, radio performances, monster camera (21MP - Set video recording mode to HD (1080p), SloMo (slow motion video), or Ultra HD (4K) (2160p)), monster display resolution UHD 1440 x 2560 pixels, 5.2 inches (~565 ppi pixel density), large battery, nearly no bloat, Moto Actions, Moto Assist, Moto Connect , Active Display, Moto Migrate, Revised Circles Widget, Turbo Charge, so many other reasons.

21mp camera doesn't necessarily mean a great image. Just look at the Droid Maxx; merely average in quality photos.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
21mp camera doesn't necessarily mean a great image. Just look at the Droid Maxx; merely average in quality photos.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
True! But I'm going to bet that given all the other high end specs it will be a better camera than the one on my MAXX.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well now there is Sony xperia z3 to consider with wireless charging, micro sd slot, state of the art camera, water/dust proof and rubber corners to absorb impacts.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well now there is Sony xperia z3 to consider with wireless charging, micro sd slot, state of the art camera, water/dust proof and rubber corners to absorb impacts.
Yeah, but that glass back and the fact that the glass is above the bezel on both front and back are concerns for me.

There are lots of other reasons why it's not attractive to me but I didn't want to be a killjoy. I had posted a "why I don't like this phone" post elsewhere but deleted it minutes later.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, but that glass back and the fact that the glass is above the bezel on both front and back are concerns for me.

There are lots of other reasons why it's not attractive to me but I didn't want to be a killjoy. I had posted a "why I don't like this phone" post elsewhere but deleted it minutes later.
Fox, you should keep it up. You know what you're talking about. I value your opinion when it comes to phones.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Can we say "nexus 4"?

Good point.

By middle of November all the flagship phones should be released with multiple head to head reviews. If you are one in the fence I say wait until then as well as play with all the devices in store. As expensive as these phones are as well as how long you will be stuck with the carrier you want to make sure in the end you are satisfied you made the choice that best fit your needs.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK, Urban... Here's the post.

Regarding the new Sony Xperia Z3V (not a subject of this thread but per request);

For me, many of the features mentioned aren't of any interest at all.

• I have no interest in PlayStation 4 Remote Play compatibility since I don't play games on my phone. In fact I don't even own a PS4, or for that matter any gaming station.
  • I certainly don't want a glass backed chassis because this means it will get scratched everytime I sit down
  • Some of the other bells and whistles such as the dual camera capability are of no interest to me whatsoever. Imagine trying to line up a picture of what you're trying to show the other person while at the same time getting yourself inside the frame of the front facing camera. Talk about an effort in futility and perhaps some acrobatics required.
  • Sony is well known for their still and video camera prowess (Cyber-shot and Handycam technologies), so I can see that attraction. We'll see if the images and videos once again live up to the reputation.
  • Being completely submersible and being able to take photos underwater...well, that's great on the surface (no pun intended), however how many people really take photos underwater, and of those that do, are they really concerned for the images to be such a high resolution? Maybe. As far as the above surface benefits (pun intended), being completely protected from spashes or accidental dunking is something EVERY phone should offer.
  • I think a lot of the hype is it's manufactured by Sony, and since Sony is known for their picture quality, this is supposed to translate to picture quality on the phone. I'm not totally sure that the two are synonymous.
  • There are other aspects about this phone that don't turn me on, and it's missing a lot of the great features that many of the other Android phones and most prevalent the Motorola phones provide which I found to be of great benefit.
  • At 5.2" but only HD, I'm less impressed than the Turbo with a much higher pixel density (2560 x 1440 Quad HD at ~565 PPI). Still, ppi doesn't translate directly to screen beauty so I will have to see both side by side.
    • 5.2" Full HD display (1920x1080 pixels)
  • Big disappointment here when compared to the Turbo with the 2.65 Ghz Snapdragon 805 and Adreno 420, both far more efficient and also faster.
    • Snapdragon (801) 2.5 GHz Qualcomm Quad-core
    • Adreno 330 GPU
  • Yes, SD Card support is a big win here, and I wish it hadn't been done away with on the Droids. Just curious...how do they keep the SD Card and SIM Card from getting wet? I'm real interested in seeing this. Water on the contacts of an SD Card could cause the card to fail completely and you would lose ALL the data on that card. There's something to be said for "off-site" backup.
  • 3D sound on a phone...well if it's coming out of the phone's own speakers, no big deal to me. On the other hand if the sound that's being communicated either through USB, Bluetooth or direct connection via cable is audiophile quality with NO sound manipulation, in other words FLAT frequency response, then I'm all for it. I can't stand any manipulation of the sound, not bass boost, not really any DSP effects. I want to hear it the way the engineer intended it to be heard.
  • Battery life is touted as 2 days... We'll see about that.

Last edited:

Slickademo

Reaction score
If you're not a gamer the note 4 isn't worth it. If you want health apps and water resistance the gs5 is a good choice. I'd say moto turbo. I've had every type of phone and my moto RAZR HD has been by far the most reliable. I've abused and soft bricked my xt926 And it still runs like a boss.

Samsung have removable batteries which is nice.

I personally live big screens and I want the oculus headset so I'm getting the note 4. ...

All in all like I said, I'd vote turbo for your situation.

m00m00w4t3r

Reaction score
I currently have a g2 and i love it but battery and overheating had been a issue for me. I'm thinking about iphone6 plus lmao

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I currently have a g2 and i love it but battery and overheating had been a issue for me. I'm thinking about iphone6 plus lmao

Unless you want a gigantic phone I wouldn't go for the i6+. Mine is bigger than my Note 3. If the dramatic increase in size wouldn't bother you then it is actually a pretty decent phone.

IsixedThat

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unless you want a gigantic phone I wouldn't go for the i6+. Mine is bigger than my Note 3. If the dramatic increase in size wouldn't bother you then it is actually a pretty decent phone.

IsixedThat
You mean we Note owners can use our favorite expletive laced phrases to describe how big the iPhone+ is? We can now make fun that a phone actually did reach Kindle reader proportions and no longer just "nearly"? We can ask is that a phone or iPad mini? :D

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

IsixedThat
Don't put it in your pocket. (Sorry, I had to.)

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

cantenna

Reaction score
I'd recommend a GS4 with a knox free bootloader if you can get your hands on one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk