Time to stand up and get thus Unlocked...

Reaction score
Everyone of us *****es about how the bootloader is locked. Its stupid that Motorola did it and in my opinion proves false advertising for Android being "100% Open Sourced." The problem is that we will not band together to take action. If we can get 1000s of calls and emails to Motorola from the score of unhappy customers they have, maybe they will break. I'm not bashing Motorola. I love my Bionic and knew it was locked going in. But thanks to Motorola, we are going to lose a dev community that cannot do anymore than they have already done given the restrictions. So come on guys. Chime in here, Lets figure something out so I can tell my grand-kids how awesome CM9 was...

Love and peace, and thank you to anyone who actually takes some time to help, no matter how minute it may be.

jayman350

Reaction score
this has been tried before, look around for OPMASH and OPMASH2

nothing has come of it, other than moto blowing more smoke up people's a$$es saying that they will address concerns and saying that it ultimately lies with the service provider (AT&T, VZW, Sprint) if the devices are unlocked or not

dfcfu342

Reaction score
Don't forget that we are lowly public customers and the majority of Moto's money comes from big corporate contracts that require total control over their phones. I would love an unlocked bootloader but in the grand scheme of things you would make a few people happy and piss off a lot of big corporate buyers; not a smart move for Moto. There are not a large group of us who want an unlocked bootlader, probably less than 5% of Bionic owners. The rest don't want them or don't care. When the big dogs move on to other phones it might happen, but I honestly wouldn't expect anything soon.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Cooly1911

Reaction score
There is nothing stopping Motor from offering 2 versions. Like the Droid2 and the limited edition R2D2 Droid2. They could easily offer a locked and an unlocked version to the masses.

Or simply make all phones unlocked, with the ability to easily be locked! There is a way to please everyone, just takes a bit of brainstorming......

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Moto doesn't know how to do anything right. They consistently loose money every quarter. They are in trouble right now, if Google purchase doesn't get approved then Moto will really be in the toilet.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

nola

Reaction score
You know what? This may be my ignorance speaking but what's the big deal? I had a droid2global for about a year and you wanna talk about the BIONIC being Verizon's red headed step child??? Now that I have a bionic and LOVING it (running eclipse 2.1) I dont see why the boot loader being locked is holding people back...

As I peek in on progress still with the D2G (also locked bootloader PLUS both radios) and see CM9, ICS, MIUI, liquid smooth, Liberty, etc, etc, flourishing it makes me wonder what the hold up is with the bionic??

Is the difference 4G LTE? Is the difference the fact that most devs apparently jumped ship? From my standpoint, if it can be done on the D2G then the locked boot loader means nothing and it can be done on the bionic too.

Again though, this could be my ignorance talking as I'm no dev. What will it take? Dedicated devs? Somebody teach me or point me in the right direction for instruction and ill take this ish on full force until its done. If only had this phone or a short time but if we had devs like ace, bikedude, 13th, revnumbers, so on and so forth then I don't think anything would stand in our way. <------ that is of course with all due respect and appreciation to dhacker, shanebionic, hashcode, and whoever else helps with this phone's development...maybe they could just use some more heads involved.

Nola

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Every time Motorola posts something on Facebook, the community at large ignores the post and instead asks about unlocked bootloaders, or will parody the original post in regards to bootloaders. Like a week or so ago Moto asked what peoples' favorite e-book was to read on their XYBOARD, and people were saying **** like "To Kill a Mocking Bootloader" and "Great Expectations of an Unlocked Bootloader".

Motorola responds on their own posts too, so it's not like they aren't seeing what we have to say. Who knows what their reasoning behind it at this point is though.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
You know what? This may be my ignorance speaking but what's the big deal? I had a droid2global for about a year and you wanna talk about the BIONIC being Verizon's red headed step child??? Now that I have a bionic and LOVING it (running eclipse 2.1) I dont see why the boot loader being locked is holding people back...

As I peek in on progress still with the D2G (also locked bootloader PLUS both radios) and see CM9, ICS, MIUI, liquid smooth, Liberty, etc, etc, flourishing it makes me wonder what the hold up is with the bionic??

Is the difference 4G LTE? Is the difference the fact that most devs apparently jumped ship? From my standpoint, if it can be done on the D2G then the locked boot loader means nothing and it can be done on the bionic too.

Again though, this could be my ignorance talking as I'm no dev. What will it take? Dedicated devs? Somebody teach me or point me in the right direction for instruction and ill take this ish on full force until its done. If only had this phone or a short time but if we had devs like ace, bikedude, 13th, revnumbers, so on and so forth then I don't think anything would stand in our way. <------ that is of course with all due respect and appreciation to dhacker, shanebionic, hashcode, and whoever else helps with this phone's development...maybe they could just use some more heads involved.

Nola

Yes the main reason that development sucks is because a lot of developers jumped ship. The locked bootloader is not the main deterrent. But it does piss developers off enough to jump to the GNex. Some of developers just straight out abandoned us though.

I have tried to organize something on multiple forums, but the threads just end up being non constructive. Its a shame really. We should keep trying though.

I am getting a used rezound myself but will keep the bionic, because deep down this phone has potential

DunDun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"Sammy Davis" Galaxy Season 6
In this website alone; if you look at the Bionic, Razr and Nexus sections... there is no doubt were the action is!

I trully like motorola products; I like the company but, I will not buy or talk any of my family or friends into another purchase until the bootloaders are unlocked... it's ridiculous!

DunDun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"Sammy Davis" Galaxy Season 6
In this website alone; if you look at the Bionic, Razr and Nexus sections... there is no doubt were the action is!<br><br>I trully like motorola products; I like the company but, I will not buy or talk any of my family or friends into another purchase until the bootloaders are unlocked... it's ridiculous!
The only language Motorola and Verizon understands is financial.

I trully hate to cut off an American company in this economy but Motorola and Verizon have been asking for it!

Reaction score
I am ready to replace my wife's phone, but I won't be purchasing another Motorola product until the bootloader is unlocked. I figure we can hold off on purchasing until April or May but, come that time, if Motorola hasn't unlocked their bootloaders we'll be looking to another manufacturer for her replacement.

As for my Bionic, it's been a huge disappointment thanks largely to it's locked bootloader. What made my D1 awesome was the almost limitless customizations available. I changed it up monthly. The Bionic has been servicable, at best, and that is only thanks to the relatively small community of Bionic developers who haven't given up on the device.

So, if anyone from Motorola happens to be reading this thread, know that the Bionic will likely be my last Motorola product unless future products are released with already unlocked bootloaders.

Versatile1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
In this website alone; if you look at the Bionic, Razr and Nexus sections... there is no doubt were the action is!

I trully like motorola products; I like the company but, I will not buy or talk any of my family or friends into another purchase until the bootloaders are unlocked... it's ridiculous!

That makes thousands of us.... :)

B

bens42608

No offense- rooting my OG DROID changed my life and those days of flashing a new rom every couple days searching for the perfectly one was fun and overclocking it/tweaking the ram to eliminate lag and give her speed- but I don't see any need to root ny bionic... it's already screaming fast with specs that don't even reach their limit... no more need for root to have free wireless tether... and romming is more likely to kill features(4g, camera, etc) than to help anything.... I couldn't care less about my bootloader being locked unless there was something I actually needed root for. And if I cared that much about the bootloader then I would've just bought the nexus. I wouldn't knowingly buy the bionic and then ***** about it

Versatile1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No offense- rooting my OG DROID changed my life and those days of flashing a new rom every couple days searching for the perfectly one was fun and overclocking it/tweaking the ram to eliminate lag and give her speed- but I don't see any need to root ny bionic... it's already screaming fast with specs that don't even reach their limit... no more need for root to have free wireless tether... and romming is more likely to kill features(4g, camera, etc) than to help anything.... I couldn't care less about my bootloader being locked unless there was something I actually needed root for. And if I cared that much about the bootloader then I would've just bought the nexus. I wouldn't knowingly buy the bionic and then ***** about it

It wouldn't be as big of an issue if motorola wouldn't have said they were unlocking them