1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Time to root...which Rom?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by christim, Feb 21, 2010.

1. christim

christim Super Moderator

I was planning on using this guide:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...ng-only-sprecovery-terminal-emulator-zip.html
    However, it looks like I can use that guide with any ROM out there.

There have been a lot of recent releases lately. Matt's guide says the guide is for the latest BB release which is 7.5 and the guide will be updated whenever a new Rom comes out. My concern is 7.6 may not be better than 7.5 or that 1.0 is way better.

I'd like to think that version x.3 contains fixes for versions x.2 even though a new bug might get introduced. For the most part though, things get more and more stable. Then when you move from 1.x to 2.x you have a bunch of new features and the bug fixing starts all over again.

Q1: With all the releases coming out is it possible stability has nothing to do with the versions and the versions are just different collections of apps that come with the rom?

For starters I'm not interested in swapping out 6 different roms to find one that A) works and B) is one I like.
    It seems to me that Bugless Beast is the most popular rom. For my first one, to make the decision easier, I'll stick with that unless there is a compelling reason to pick a different one. I'm looking to OC to at least 800mhz and would like to have tethering.

Other questions:
    Q2: is there a chart/thread that lists all roms, all versions, and features thereof?
    Q3: is there such a thing as the most stable rom version for each rom out there (droidmod, bugless beast, simply stunning, etc). if so, what are they?
    Q4: can I add the original 2.0 lockscreen to any of these roms?

I've done the reading, got some time today, so its time to see if my expectations of how smooth I think this will go for me matches reality :) thanks
  2. INSANENEIVIESIS

INSANENEIVIESIS Beta Team Developer

Its a personal preference but in my opinion bugless beast is king. Not say sholes is bad its accually very good but I'm drawn to bugless beast. look around do some home work and find one that fits you. would say more but I'm on my phone sorry.
  3. joshua117

joshua117 New Member

well its more about personal preference. when asking about roms just keep in mind everyone has one that they like more than others, some are just diehard fans of a particular roms (maybe thats the only one they have tried or that's the one that they use so it has to be the best). not that there is anything wrong with having strong opinions about what you like, but its never good to limit your options. i for one use DroidMod. it has worked well for me, stable and reliable. but if you are looking for the 2.1 launcher you should keep in mind that they have removed this feature from the last few updates. it does have the lock screen that you are looking for, and the tethering .the install is very straight forward (like all the others). i'm set up at 800MHz right now, you can go higher though.
    i also hear good things about Bugless Beast, can't say anything from personal experience though.
    if i were you i would try a few different ones out and see what works best for you. i know it a pain but its worth it in the end.
  4. LtKen

LtKen New Member

+1 for personal preference. Figure out what it is that you want out of the ROM, and find one accordingly.

Laziness pushed me towards DroidMod/Sholes, but you don't seem to have that problem. Have fun.
  5. jasonb

jasonb New Member

i just switched from Pete's Bugless Beast version 7.5 to AdamZ Smoked Glass v4.5. i am REALLY liking AdamZ Smoked Glass.

try em all.... it's pretty easy, quick and safe to keep trying things. just make sure you do backups between swaps.
  6. CatsTide

CatsTide New Member

another vote for adamz and smoked glass
  7. christim

christim Super Moderator

thanks for the feedback. Another question, just to clarify.

I can take any rom, rename it to update.zip and use sprecovery to flash it?

I'm ok not messing with the 2.1 launcher. I tried the unrooted version and while the extra built in buttons and screens is nice accessing the apps via the scroller vs tray doesn't matter to me. I bounce between using home++ and the standard home right now.
  8. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Unless I'm completely wrong, update.zip is just the root hack -- you need to us SPRecovery to actually flash the ROM -- Step 9 in the BB guide.

Update.zip != flash_image
  9. christim

christim Super Moderator

Steps 34-38 indicate you grab the rom, which will be named update.zip, and then just do a sprecovery on it, thus installing it. I'm assuming, but checking with you all, that I can take any rom and make sure it is named update.zip and use recovery to install it. Looks that way to me, just checking.

34. Delete the previous update.zip file both from your computer and the root of your SD card to prevent confusion, if it is still there...if you don't feel like deleting the old version just overwrite the existing file but make sure this next file overwrites or replaces the old update.zip that we used to root your phone. Download the Bugless Beast ROM here. Note that it is the same file name as the update.zip that rooted your phone. Make sure, once again, that your file is named update.zip, not update.zip.zip (as before). This file should be ABOUT 70MB.

35. Just like in step 2, put the update.zip file on the root of your SD card then unplug the phone when you are done.

36. Power off the phone.

37. Reboot into SPRecovery by powering on the phone and holding in the X key on the hardware keyboard, just like you did before.

38. Choose install.
  10. LtKen

LtKen New Member

My bad -- you should be ok.
  11. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

this works, i have done that before.
  12. christim

christim Super Moderator

No panic yet. No brick here either:)
    I've changed my mind midstream through the directions though.

I got rooted, no problem...was as easy as I thought it would be.

SPRecovery is in place. Backed up my current config, no problems there either.

Poking around I decided not to install Bugless Beast 7.5 and decided to go for Smoked Glass 4.5

The instructions differ but I see sprecover formats the cache and data just like the Smoked Glass instructions have you manually doing through the sdk's ADB shell

So here's the question. Is there a difference between these two steps:

Go to recovery screen after bootup and do an advanced nandroid restore of a just downloaded rom that sits in the nandroid directory

Go to the recovery screen and do an install of the depreciated update.zip with said update.zip being the just downloaded rom (same file, different name now, as the rom in the he first example). I'm going this route but have a feeling either path would have worked.
  13. jasonb

jasonb New Member

just do a nandroid restore of Smoked Glass v4.5, select only "system", "boot", and "recovery". this will keep all your apps, data, and settings and apply the new rom and kernel.

there is no update.zip file for AdamZ rom.
  14. christim

christim Super Moderator

too late. It went a quarter of the way across the progress bar and sat there on the depreciated update method.. Rebooted, missed the X key, and ended up with the green android "set up the phone" guy. So something ended up in there, not sure what. Did a reboot and did the advanced restore. It gave me no options it just did a restore. I know my backup is in the nandroid folder and so is the smoked-glass4.5 rom. When its done I'll see what I ended up with.
  15. jasonb

jasonb New Member

let us know what happens.
  16. christim

christim Super Moderator

Advanced or default restore...it does a restore without giving me an option of what I want to restore. I'll use the power key to work my way back up through the menu options but if it does the same thing I'll just let it boot up, sign into Google to setup the phone and see what I've got.
  17. jasonb

jasonb New Member

interesting....
  18. christim

christim Super Moderator

Not sure if 4.5 has the blue eye or not, but it boots with the original red one.
  19. christim

christim Super Moderator

Ha...not what I expected at all. I'm back to my original install:) rofl

Within nandroid I have 3 files
    oroginal02212010-BDS-20100221-2233
    virginoem-backup
    SmokedGlass-v4-5update.zip

I see the zip being a problem. Why I wasn't given an option between the other two I don't know. Due to behavior I'm guessing the first time I got the virgin install with the advanced nandroid install. Obviously the second one gave me my misspelled original.

Safe to assume that the virgin is the default install and you get an option if there is more than one other when doing the advanced install?
    Extracting the zip...rebooting to try again.
  20. jasonb

jasonb New Member

yes, 4.5 has the blue eye. so you are still stock right now.

you do have sprecovery 0.99.2 right? if you do, when you go into advanced restore you'll pick your rom, check off what parts you want to install and then select perform restore.