Time to ask about "rooted"...

r-dubya

Reaction score
I'm with you on that one, on my second rooted phone, and plan on keeping it that way. No sense in letting VZW/Moto dictate what i have on my phone ;)

OP
Rollingbones

Rollingbones

Reaction score
I guess I'm fortunate enough that my ignorance keeps me from wishing my phone did more than what is currently does as is with just the programs from the market. I'm pretty stoked about this thing to begin with and I don't think I'll try and push myself into uncharted waters not knowing what I'm looking for to begin with!!! I will say this much, this forum is a blast to read about some of the stuff people are focused on...

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good of place as any to ask...

I'm debating rooting, probably will get around to it eventually. As far as I can tell, the only real draw for me, at this point, is overclocking,

My question is, do you think the door to root will be shut for an extended period of time once 2.1 is released? Seems like the "geeks" will always find a backdoor to do it, but I realize this option will probably be off the table for at least a few days once 2.1 is released.

It will be done, but it could be a while. I don't the Eris has been rooted yet. And the Nexus One has been rooted, but at this time there is now way back to stock (as I understand it). The latest batch of roms are so stable and fast and have so many great features, that I am not going to allow the OTA update for sure. I'll stick with "great" until they root 2.1 and have some good roms for it.

this. that is my understanding as well.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Downsides?
4) you will spend hours and hours and days and days and weeks and weeks with a new hobby that will take precedence over every waking moment of your life.

QFT! With the guys at AllDroid releasing updates once or twice a day, its impossible to keep up if you dont have a life. That being said, I have to go install BB 1.1, lol!

Well said friends! This device and forum are really addictive.

And thanks to Dub for his excellent explanation to the OP.

Mike

r-dubya

Reaction score
Downsides?
4) you will spend hours and hours and days and days and weeks and weeks with a new hobby that will take precedence over every waking moment of your life.

QFT! With the guys at AllDroid releasing updates once or twice a day, its impossible to keep up if you dont have a life. That being said, I have to go install BB 1.1, lol!

Mike

I will second that, this phone has really become a guilty little pleasure of mine. I find myself even telling my girlfriend about my latest ROM...like SHE cares...lol

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Mike

I will second that, this phone has really become a guilty little pleasure of mine. I find myself even telling my girlfriend about my latest ROM...like SHE cares...lol

Lol I do it too.. she's always like "wtf r u talkin bout"... I tried to explain it with analogies of transformers.. she was lost again.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Mike

Lol I do it too.. she's always like "wtf r u talkin bout"... I tried to explain it with analogies of transformers.. she was lost again.

That made me laugh, Sam.

There are times when something should be mysterious. Best to leave sleeping dog alone:)

Mike

Mike

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
wow no downsides amazing

Well, I don't think I'd recommend overclocking to 1-1.2ghz even though some people believe it's safe.

But sounds like the risk was of bricking, which before people got their hands on the VZW restoration app meant you were at the mercy of the store with a voided warranty. Since it's virtually impossible to actually destroy your software beyond recovery I guess that means no downside, within reason.

r-dubya

Reaction score

Mike

Yea, when i bring up my droid, she brings up twilight. 28 year old woman...twilight....yea I know....

I tried explaining it to her, she tried to explain to me vampire romance... i just bring up how cool it would be if Blade showed up in twilight. That usually ends our discussion ;)

Glad to see I'm not the only one Sam.

NoKz

Reaction score
You know you're addicted when your 2 friends get Droids and you spend hours preparing to root and flash them with custom roms. LOL.

<--- Guilty

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You know you're addicted when your 2 friends get Droids and you spend hours preparing to root and flash them with custom roms. LOL.

<--- Guilty

Yes this droid thing is addicting. I wasnt this glued about an electronic device since I was a kid with the snes. I think the cure will be for us to get rid of the droid and for us all to get simple iphones.......... that way we go back to our lives and wont have a device that we can customize.

But you first lol.

r-dubya

Reaction score

<--- Guilty

Yes this droid thing is addicting. I wasnt this glued about an electronic device since I was a kid with the snes. I think the cure will be for us to get rid of the droid and for us all to get simple iphones.......... that way we go back to our lives and wont have a device that we can customize.

But you first lol.

BLASPHEMY!!! I WILL NOT TOLERATE THESE ABSURD REMARKS!!!

I DEMAND an immediate ban on pilotcharles747. May god have mercy on his soul...