Time to ask about "rooted"...

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Rollingbones, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Rollingbones

Rollingbones Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the search, but I don't think I know enough about it so I guess I'll my ignorance out there now... What does "rooted" mean and the differance between rooted and unrooted and maybewhat the advantaged is to doing it? Thanks...:icon_eek:

2. r-dubya

r-dubya Member

Ratings:
    +0
    "Rooted" means to be able to have, and the ability to, modify root files in your phones operating system. Think about it like a computer. If you could modify files that control windows 7, and mold them to what you wanted them to do, you would be "rooted".

Once rooted, devs (developers) can look at and change the code to devices and "hack" the phone if you will.

For the average person, just being rooted doesn't mean anything. But it allows developers the opportunity to manipulate code and develop "ROMS". And allows YOU the ability to install, or "flash" those ROMS. Think of a ROM as a modified version to the phones OS. Devs will write ROMS that compile all the cool hacks that other developers have found into one file, allowing you to install this file once rooted and exploit those hacks. These hacks range from the ability to use wifi tethering (allows your phone to act as a wireless hotspot) to over clocking your CPU (makes your phone run faster).

There are dozens of roms out there that you can chose from, all having their high and low points. Some developers have even ported over 2.1 versions from the Nexus. There is even an app out there that does all the rooting for you, which really makes it easier. To root yourself, you need a long and complex list of files and steps to accomplish the task. That app basically takes control of your phone, writes the "rooting program (if you will)" and installs that developers custom rom. This by FAR is the easiest way to root.

Once rooted however, the possibilities are endless. You can switch from rom to rom, or get into developing and write your own.

I hope that cleared it up for you...

#2 r-dubya, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  3. Sam

Sam Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    well said dub.. thanks for the explanation ;)

4. r-dubya

r-dubya Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any time Sam :) Just trying to help out a fellow droid owner, we were all there at one point :redface:

5. misteruplink

misteruplink Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Question about rooting explained

R-dubya that was an awesome explanation about rooting I've read ever... I used the sholes method to root 2 weeks ago and my droid is absolutely wonderful.

thanks J

6. r-dubya

r-dubya Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! I really tried to make it as thorough, yet understandable as possible.

7. ShowTime

ShowTime Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, very well said. I thought I did a decent job trying to explain it in a past thread, but your explanation put mine to shame.

8. Rollingbones

Rollingbones Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks... that helps a lot. I kind of suspected it may have been something on that level. Anyway it's nice to know...

9. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,934
  10. cix chris

cix chris New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What are the downsides?

11. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    Downsides?

1) it breaks your phone's warranty (but you can put all the software back so nobody knows)

2) there is the possibility of bricking your phone by getting in too deep and doing something by mistake (very hard to do plus a tool was just released that lets you put your phone back to stock as long as it boots)

3) There is a possibility as people push the limits of cpu speed that you could do physical damage to your phone. We saw speeds go from the stock 550 mhz to 800 mhz to 1100 mhz (1.1ghz)and I think the latest is 1.25ghz. Eventually something is going to overheat if those numbers keep climbing.

4) you will spend hours and hours and days and days and weeks and weeks with a new hobby that will take precedence over every waking moment of your life.

Conclusion: Great opportunity to learn new things. The manual rooting path teach you some Linux skills. Chance of damage is minimal.

12. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    QFT! With the guys at AllDroid releasing updates once or twice a day, its impossible to keep up if you dont have a life. That being said, I have to go install BB 1.1, lol!