Time for Companies to Step Up

mrredskin

Reaction score
It's been over two months since Droid 2.0 was released, and corporations are still slacking on developing apps for us. USA Today stepped up at the beginning, but even that app could stand to add a lot more features. NFL Superfan was, IMO, the best yet.

But, seriously, where are the ESPNs, Directvs, and travel apps that we would use every day.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
They are 1) waiting for Android to get enough market-share to make it worth their time, effort and (most importantly) MONEY and 2) likely waiting for Android to get to a point where they are not releasing updates every other month that will 'break' their current app. As it stands no one device (and therefore no one version of Android) has enough market share to be worth it to them. Hopefully between the Droid, Nexus and Eris (receiving 2.0 in the Spring) this will start to change. But until Android reaches high market share and more stability do not expect so many developers to waste resources for so few users.

OP
mrredskin

mrredskin

Reaction score
it seems there are enough independent developers out there who have put out some good apps that hasn't required much money. i don't see how money would be a big issue here.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
it seems there are enough independent developers out there who have put out some good apps that hasn't required much money. i don't see how money would be a big issue here.

Well lets see, you didn't give examples of small device-function apps or something for lack of a better word 'simple'. You listed ESPN and DirectTV and hinted/directed at larger companies offering far more service. That means in addition to developing the program/app they have to make sure the have the infrastructure to support and handle the users. That means 1) more servers which means more licenses for all the software running on it; 2) more people to handle those servers and services now offered (tech support, debugging ect); 3) likely more bandwidth to handle the traffic (contrary to major belief even large companies don't have unlimited bandwidth and GOOD IT departments balance between cost and benefit to their utilize their need).

That's just the first (big) three. There are dozens of other reasons for them to be slow, and possibly even weary of the Android OS. Just because we love the product doesn't mean a) it will survive or b) can get enough ROI for companies to justify the expense.

As to the small developers their size is one reason they can afford to support and develop for the OS. They don't, in most cases have to justify their decisions to a board of trusties OR, more importantly to shareholders. In addition they don't have to worry about the infrastructure expenditures of the above companies and they can 'grow' with their products as they gain sales whereas the large companies must already have it in place before releasing the app. Also it's not really 'easy' or simple even for those developers you hint at. If you look at ANY program on the market there are people who can't get the product to work because there are too many versions of the OS and too many device that aren't 'similar' enough to allow for easy porting of apps. This is acceptable to most small developers but to the big guys that are in fierce battles with their competition they can't afford these small errors (e.g. a bad app from DirectTV might be that final straw that forces the customer to the competition, yes you will argue the reverse but people will NOT join DirectTV just for that, least not enough to justify the expense).

If and when Google can prove that they will continue to increase their market share to an acceptable level AND address the issues regarding numerous devices and OS versions then the large companies will look at them. Having these phones on a 'real' network like Verizon and (possibly with the Nexus) AT&T is the first step. But they have a LONGGGGGGG way to go.

Last edited:

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
The company that I am most irritated with for dropping the ball is Slingmedia. They still have no slingplayer client for Android. I hear they are finally starting to develop one that will work with Flash. First chance I have of getting a competing product, I will. Monsoon Volcano here I come:

Monsoon adds streaming, sideloading sweetness to new Volcano placeshifting box -- Engadget

It's understandable they didn't. Slingmedia has been a huge disappointment as far as market saturation (or lack thereof, least in the consumer division). While they are slowly building sales and market share (granted it's a small and relatively new market) overall they have been less than impressive and I can't imagine their P/L statements look good at all. Just exasperates all the barriers to development listed above.

Technoman

Reaction score
The company that I am most irritated with for dropping the ball is Slingmedia. They still have no slingplayer client for Android. I hear they are finally starting to develop one that will work with Flash. First chance I have of getting a competing product, I will. Monsoon Volcano here I come:

Monsoon adds streaming, sideloading sweetness to new Volcano placeshifting box -- Engadget

I contacted Monsoon about an APP for HAVA player for my HAVA box. They stated that it is in development and would be out early 2010.

OP
mrredskin

mrredskin

Reaction score

Well lets see, you didn't give examples of small device-function apps or something for lack of a better word 'simple'. You listed ESPN and DirectTV and hinted/directed at larger companies offering far more service. That means in addition to developing the program/app they have to make sure the have the infrastructure to support and handle the users. That means 1) more servers which means more licenses for all the software running on it; 2) more people to handle those servers and services now offered (tech support, debugging ect); 3) likely more bandwidth to handle the traffic (contrary to major belief even large companies don't have unlimited bandwidth and GOOD IT departments balance between cost and benefit to their utilize their need).

That's just the first (big) three. There are dozens of other reasons for them to be slow, and possibly even weary of the Android OS. Just because we love the product doesn't mean a) it will survive or b) can get enough ROI for companies to justify the expense.

As to the small developers their size is one reason they can afford to support and develop for the OS. They don't, in most cases have to justify their decisions to a board of trusties OR, more importantly to shareholders. In addition they don't have to worry about the infrastructure expenditures of the above companies and they can 'grow' with their products as they gain sales whereas the large companies must already have it in place before releasing the app. Also it's not really 'easy' or simple even for those developers you hint at. If you look at ANY program on the market there are people who can't get the product to work because there are too many versions of the OS and too many device that aren't 'similar' enough to allow for easy porting of apps. This is acceptable to most small developers but to the big guys that are in fierce battles with their competition they can't afford these small errors (e.g. a bad app from DirectTV might be that final straw that forces the customer to the competition, yes you will argue the reverse but people will NOT join DirectTV just for that, least not enough to justify the expense).

If and when Google can prove that they will continue to increase their market share to an acceptable level AND address the issues regarding numerous devices and OS versions then the large companies will look at them. Having these phones on a 'real' network like Verizon and (possibly with the Nexus) AT&T is the first step. But they have a LONGGGGGGG way to go.

or the short answer would just be because they're too lazy. that's what i'm going with. i did read 1/3 of your post, tho.

justinr128

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG Stylo 3
I know this is an old thread but anyone like me with a HAVA Platnium and a newer Android phone/tablet might find it useful. I have an Android 7.0 (Nougat) phone and the official Vulkano Monsoon app no longer works. I was able to use the Testube app
TestTube Updates - Over Voltage Software
I needed to install the .apk directly since it is no longer on the Play store. As far as i'm concerned Testube is the only functional app for us with this ancient but awesome hardware.