Tiled home screen previews?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Does anybody know if there's a launcher that let's you make the home screen a matrix of all the home screens in a tile layout?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Zandar

Reaction score
Do you mean as a permanent homescreen, or as a preview like in Sense? If the former, I don't know. If the latter, most of the big ones allow this (ADW, Go Launcher, LP, etc.).

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I am familiar with Windows 7 and yes, like the quick access down along the bottom in that each one is an active and "live" version of the full page, however I want them to be THE home screen, in perhaps a 3X3 matrix of 9 home screens, or a 3X2 matrix of 6 screens for instance. That's essentially what I am looking for on the phone. To answer Zandar, yes, as an option for a permanent home screen.

An example would be this (Windows 7 example).

View attachment 47909

My thought process...If I set up the home screens the way I like them, each one for instance with a particular purpose such as one for Navigation with all the tools I might want such as a Speedometer, Compass, Navigation, Maps, Google search, Track points, GPS Essentials and GPS Status & Toolbox, one for my calendar, one for email accounts and to dos, one for social networking, etc., then simply have them all visible in a matrix, it would be quite easy to see which screen has which purpose. So instead of scrolling back and forth, or even hitting home to preview and then hitting the screen of choice, I would simpy hit the screen of choice and that saves me either one press of the screen or saves me from flipping back and forth to find the screen I want.

Call it a lazy request, since it really will only save me one press, but for me, it's just one less thing to think about. If it's in front of my eyes, it's simple to choose.

Zandar

Reaction score
You might want to check out the new Homescreen replacement TSF Shell. It's a bit pricey at $17, but if it can't do what you want I don't think anything will. I'll probably pick this up if it ever drops in price (I'm quite happy with ADW EX for now).

An alternative would be to size your homescreen up. ADW lets you do 9x9 for the rows; others probably let you do more. Problem is, you're stuck with the tiny icons if you do this.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You might want to check out the new Homescreen replacement TSF Shell. It's a bit pricey at $17, but if it can't do what you want I don't think anything will. I'll probably pick this up if it ever drops in price (I'm quite happy with ADW EX for now).

An alternative would be to size your homescreen up. ADW lets you do 9x9 for the rows; others probably let you do more. Problem is, you're stuck with the tiny icons if you do this.

Dude, TSF Shell is KRAZY!! :blink:

That video is so cool...I can see only one problem with it. I would be so busy playing with it and reorganizing that I'd forget where I put things! LOL! Lassoing icons and dropping into folders is totally whack. I really like being able to twist icons on the screen and personalizing the entire look. Also, no more being stuck to the same number of icons/row/column on all screens.

The price is too high, and no "lite" version but if this ever hits Amazon's free app day, it's mine!

I do like more icons on the screen and when I run LauncherPro but don't like losing the titles at the bottom or having them cut-off so I gyrate between 5X5 and 5X4 layout. Some of the application icons are not so easily recognizable without titles and with all the variety they can fade into the background. Others stand out and are quite obvious (like the gmail one) and so don't need a title.

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It's not exactly what you want, but would something like Folder Organizer or App Folder work?

SallyC, the Folder Organizer is VERY nice and may be one of my new favorite apps. I also found one due to your suggestion called Preview Folders. I could make each folder essentially one screen and then simply click on the folder (i.e. screen), to take me to the collection of apps. I only wish it could allow the folder icon with the previews to be resized I have installed it and will play around with it. I am also installing App Folder. I'll let you know how they all play out.

Sometimes it just takes a jumpstart to get ole' Bessie going. ;) THANKS!

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Dude, TSF Shell is KRAZY!! :blink:

That video is so cool...I can see only one problem with it. I would be so busy playing with it and reorganizing that I'd forget where I put things! LOL! Lassoing icons and dropping into folders is totally whack. I really like being able to twist icons on the screen and personalizing the entire look. Also, no more being stuck to the same number of icons/row/column on all screens.

The price is too high, and no "lite" version but if this ever hits Amazon's free app day, it's mine!

I do like more icons on the screen and when I run LauncherPro but don't like losing the titles at the bottom or having them cut-off so I gyrate between 5X5 and 5X4 layout. Some of the application icons are not so easily recognizable without titles and with all the variety they can fade into the background. Others stand out and are quite obvious (like the gmail one) and so don't need a title.

Thanks!

DITTO! ^^^ Actually, if he ever starts selling it on Amazon, I'll think about getting it. That way I can port it across all of my devices!

Redbeaver

Reaction score
Go Launcher Ex! :D

its free. no ads. allows u to install themes.

i use the ICS theme and if u 'pinch' the screen, it shrinks to a 5-screen matrix (but u can add more!) in a tile layout. (3x3)

i got 1 screen for settings (widgets, data counters, file explorers), 1 for social, 1 main with mail n maps n browser, 1 for calendar n notes n to-dos, 1 for news and media and games :)

and wit the ICS theme, the folder has a little icons-preview. much nicer than the default "plain folder" icon :D

Zandar

Reaction score
Go Launcher Ex! :D

its free. no ads. allows u to install themes.

i use the ICS theme and if u 'pinch' the screen, it shrinks to a 5-screen matrix (but u can add more!) in a tile layout. (3x3)

i got 1 screen for settings (widgets, data counters, file explorers), 1 for social, 1 main with mail n maps n browser, 1 for calendar n notes n to-dos, 1 for news and media and games :)

and wit the ICS theme, the folder has a little icons-preview. much nicer than the default "plain folder" icon :D
I didn't even think of this. I just tried it on ADW Launcher EX (I use Go Launcher, too), and the previews will stay up if you turn the screen off. This is a really simple solution. Set up, say, 6 homescreens, and you'll get a 3x2 (rows x columns) grid of your homescreens. You can tap on any one of them to go to that screen. I have mine set to do these previews if I swipe up, so after going to a homescreen I can simply swipe up and I'm at the all-screen view. Go Launcher, Launcher Pro, ADW; all of them will do this. I can't say that all of them will remain persistent after the screen has been turned off, but ADX EX definitely does.