Thunderbolt? Yay or Nay

iRenegade

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt'd battery may be underpowered... But the phone itself is not. It flies.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Very true! I'm hoping HTC/Verizon will be tweaking the firmware shortly and addressing the battery issue. I already have a portable battery charger in case I'm not near an outlet/usb to charge up. It's slightly larger than the battery (Kensington). I may get another battery to keep on hand to swap out, but I'd rather keep opening the battery door to a minimum ( the one design I find lacking on the TB!) and may just stick with the portable charger.

DVR6

Reaction score
I took mine back.

I really did want to like it but too many things going against it. Most notable problems were it was underpowered (battery) and it really wasn't a very good PHONE. Oh, it was a great DATA DEVICE and FAST when it wasn't running out of batteries but the phone quality was not good, in fact really bad. I have a droid 1 and it blows it away when it comes to call quality.

I am an outside person and could barely use it in any wind at all. Callers on the other end more than once ask me where I was because the background noise was very distracting. 15 mph sea-breeze. I've never had that problem before. Seems like the noise cancellation was poorly implemented or wasn't working or did not work with wind.... Switched back to the droid 1 and the call quality was like night and day. Even tried another TB at the VZW store before returning and it was the same. I think they are way overpriced and the build quality was not good.

Pumaro

Reaction score
Battery time on my thunderbolt is about the same as my old MOTO Droid. Calls sound great. And I run 4G all day long. Used the phone today for a 4 hour conference call all on speakerphone too, and still managed to get 10 hours battery life.
Build quality is awesome, i don't know how anyone can complain about that. Way better than the original Droid.
sent via ThunderBolt

alboboy10

Reaction score
I took mine back.

I really did want to like it but too many things going against it. Most notable problems were it was underpowered (battery) and it really wasn't a very good PHONE. Oh, it was a great DATA DEVICE and FAST when it wasn't running out of batteries but the phone quality was not good, in fact really bad. I have a droid 1 and it blows it away when it comes to call quality.

I am an outside person and could barely use it in any wind at all. Callers on the other end more than once ask me where I was because the background noise was very distracting. 15 mph sea-breeze. I've never had that problem before. Seems like the noise cancellation was poorly implemented or wasn't working or did not work with wind.... Switched back to the droid 1 and the call quality was like night and day. Even tried another TB at the VZW store before returning and it was the same. I think they are way overpriced and the build quality was not good.

DX is great for noise cancellation.

rage151

Reaction score
It's nay for me. Returning my TB tomorrow. I really did want to like it...and impatiently waited weeks for it to be released.

The display is just disappointing for this device. Colors are good, but screen clarity is not. Big screen and grainy pictures. The X has it beat and it's older.

Call quality sounds cheap...on the handset and to the calling party. Signal reception is not that good either.

Battery life is not that good, but not as much of a deal breaker as the previous items I described.

It is not a bad phone, just not worth an upgrade when better processors, Ddr2 memory, displays, etc., are right around the corner.

I will rock my rooted D1 and dabble with the wife's X until then.

I will say that if you're not in a 4g area, the X is a superior device.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

alboboy10

Reaction score
It's nay for me. Returning my TB tomorrow. I really did want to like it...and impatiently waited weeks for it to be released.

The display is just disappointing for this device. Colors are good, but screen clarity is not. Big screen and grainy pictures. The X has it beat and it's older.

Call quality sounds cheap...on the handset and to the calling party. Signal reception is not that good either.

Battery life is not that good, but not as much of a deal breaker as the previous items I described.

It is not a bad phone, just not worth an upgrade when better processors, Ddr2 memory, displays, etc., are right around the corner.

Lol if you like the DX that much I'm selling mine right now ;) cause I'm certain I won't be going back to it. Battery life is the ONLY deal breaker for me, oh and swype. The screen is superior to the DX for sure even though there's less pixels. Signal reception for me has been amazing, full 4G at home while with DX I was getting 1-2 bars. (I'm getting better 3G speeds with TB at home)

Better processors? Very arguable. I had the D1, and the DX...processors are great, but they're no snapdragon that's for sure. Dual core is new technology and I don't wanna be the guinea pig for it, I have done it several times and backfired. Motorola has choppy internet, and a lot of things are missing that aren't missing in sense. Even copy and paste is a difficult task on internet pages in DX.

One thing I admire about iphone is that they don't load their phones with crap, which androids do, which cause battery problems. And they're easier to hack, androids are somewhat difficult.

DyMiC

Reaction score
I'm crossing my fingers that Verizon doesn't stop their Unlimited Data Plans soon. I'm rocking my Droid X, and I'm eligible or an Upgrade... but I don't want a freaking HTC. I'm sorry... but anybody who thinks the build quality on their phones is good has obviously not had their hands on a Moto. Moto uses metal, and hinges. Rock Solid. HTC uses Plastic and little snappies. Plastic breaks EASILY. Plus, you cannot beat the black matte finishes on the D1 and DX. That's just... mmm.

But yeah. Nay to Tbolt. My boyfriend wants one, but I'm hoping I can convert him, or something better comes out (maybe the Incredible 2). He loves Sense, even though he's been rocking a Vanilla Gingerbread ROM on his Eris.

Ugh. Petition to Verizon? Keep Unlimited Plans the Way They Are?

alboboy10

Reaction score
When Verizon forces me to get a limited data plan like ATT does, and when they jack up prices I'm showing them the middle finger and going to another company. Phones bills are ridiculous enough already, if they keep adding to the bills they don't deserve our money. Sprint is very cheap, service might not be the best but they have the best android coming out soon, 4G unlimited plus talk/texting. All very cheap.

UNC

Reaction score

Lol if you like the DX that much I'm selling mine right now ;) cause I'm certain I won't be going back to it. Battery life is the ONLY deal breaker for me, oh and swype. The screen is superior to the DX for sure even though there's less pixels. Signal reception for me has been amazing, full 4G at home while with DX I was getting 1-2 bars. (I'm getting better 3G speeds with TB at home)

Better processors? Very arguable. I had the D1, and the DX...processors are great, but they're no snapdragon that's for sure. Dual core is new technology and I don't wanna be the guinea pig for it, I have done it several times and backfired. Motorola has choppy internet, and a lot of things are missing that aren't missing in sense. Even copy and paste is a difficult task on internet pages in DX.

One thing I admire about iphone is that they don't load their phones with crap, which androids do, which cause battery problems. And they're easier to hack, androids are somewhat difficult.

I returned the TB the battery was terrible, as was the 3g signal, and the in-call sound quality.

I'm just cofused by this post... you'd rather be a guinea pig for the LTE radio which is brand new than dual-core which has been downsized, but is essentially old tech?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

TDevilsG

Reaction score
I definitely would give this phone a yay so far. I myself love it, my girlfriend picked one up today, and a coworker and friend picked one up as well. This phone does a ton of things right and is extremely powerful in todays market. The battery concern is quite overrated as well, as long as you realize that at this point and only a week into its launch (without any software upgrades or rooted yet), the phone will give you a full day of use before needing a charge. If anything, you can purchase the phone and if another phone comes along down the line, sell it on ebay. But I have very much enjoyed my first week thus far.

Sent from A Stream of Lightning via The Thunderbolt

alboboy10

Reaction score

I returned the TB the battery was terrible, as was the 3g signal, and the in-call sound quality.

I'm just cofused by this post... you'd rather be a guinea pig for the LTE radio which is brand new than dual-core which has been downsized, but is essentially old tech?

I'll agree about the battery, when you use your phone for internet and stuff, the battery slowly drains away especially the stock one. My phone now has been off the charger for 8 hours, and it's 81%. I haven't used it a lot, I've sent/received about 30-40 texts made two 2 minute phone calls and facebook a little. This I think is decent now. The 3G signal idk what to say, maybe your device was bad? Because I get better service with this phone than I did with my DX, I have more 4G bars at home then I did with my DX on 3G. Call quality is good, I can't complain. This phone is very loud, as was my DX (this one even louder perhaps)except the DX had 3 mics which helped with noise cancellation etc.

I'm not being a guinea pig for LTE, LTE is a service. If I think 4G sucks I can turn it off and use 3G as you're using on your phone. So I'm not really testing anything. But with dual core technology, who the hell knows how they'll run on these phones? A lot of people are saying that when the bionic first comes out the software won't fully support the dual core. I was the guinea pig for a lot of different phones and I wasn't happy with the results in the end. My smartphones so far have been: storm (horrible), D1 (decent...never hacked it), DX (great phone), TB (better than DX, worse battery).

It sucks that to make these phones run properly we have to hack them. There's not one smart phone out there that can run the way you want it to, perfectly, as a customer without hacking it.

UNC

Reaction score

I'll agree about the battery, when you use your phone for internet and stuff, the battery slowly drains away especially the stock one. My phone now has been off the charger for 8 hours, and it's 81%. I haven't used it a lot, I've sent/received about 30-40 texts made two 2 minute phone calls and facebook a little. This I think is decent now. The 3G signal idk what to say, maybe your device was bad? Because I get better service with this phone than I did with my DX, I have more 4G bars at home then I did with my DX on 3G. Call quality is good, I can't complain. This phone is very loud, as was my DX (this one even louder perhaps)except the DX had 3 mics which helped with noise cancellation etc.

I'm not being a guinea pig for LTE, LTE is a service. If I think 4G sucks I can turn it off and use 3G as you're using on your phone. So I'm not really testing anything. But with dual core technology, who the hell knows how they'll run on these phones? A lot of people are saying that when the bionic first comes out the software won't fully support the dual core. I was the guinea pig for a lot of different phones and I wasn't happy with the results in the end. My smartphones so far have been: storm (horrible), D1 (decent...never hacked it), DX (great phone), TB (better than DX, worse battery).

It sucks that to make these phones run properly we have to hack them. There's not one smart phone out there that can run the way you want it to, perfectly, as a customer without hacking it.

Wrong, the LTE radio in your phone is not a service, its untested HARDWARE which is why the phone has handoff problems, you can't turn off the 4g radio with a company supported method, and you DON'T use 3g "as I'm using it on my phone". The 3g radio in the TB is new too as it has VoEVDO. (Talk and surf)
My TB wasn't any more "bad" than ALL of the rest of the TBs.

If your signal is better with the TB than it was with the DX you have either the best example of a Thunderbolt to ever roll off the HTC assembly line or a "bad" DX. I went into the Verizon store and compared. Every phone had 3-4 bars EXCEPT the TB (which had 2). Even my iPhone has better reception...

Reaction score

Dude, my pre-production TBolt was better than your phones.

If your signal is better with the TB than it was with the DX you have either the best example of a Thunderbolt to ever roll off the HTC assembly line or a "bad" DX. I went into the Verizon store and compared. Every phone had 3-4 bars EXCEPT the TB (which had 2).

I have the same experience as alboboy10. Had a Droid X since before anyone could buy it (since June '10). The DX at best had the same battery life and signal strength as my TBolt got BEFORE I rooted. Now that I've rooted and removed bloatware, it is looking like I gained at least a couple more hours.

Even my iPhone has better reception...
'Nuff said. I will never take what you have to say about Andriod phones seriously ever again. I'm not "flaming" you for your choice, but anyone that can use an iPhone after they have used an Android is someone that I clearly will never agree with. You should be happy with your choice of phone, and please do be happy with it... just don't expect to post on an Android message board negatively and expect anyone to agree with you.

alboboy10

Reaction score

Wrong, the LTE radio in your phone is not a service, its untested HARDWARE which is why the phone has handoff problems, you can't turn off the 4g radio with a company supported method, and you DON'T use 3g "as I'm using it on my phone". The 3g radio in the TB is new too as it has VoEVDO. (Talk and surf)

If your signal is better with the TB than it was with the DX you have either the best example of a Thunderbolt to ever roll off the HTC assembly line or a "bad" DX. I went into the Verizon store and compared. Every phone had 3-4 bars EXCEPT the TB (which had 2). Even my iPhone has better reception...

Lol bad DX? Are u kidding me, I never had a problem with that phone it's the best phone I had to date (before the TB). I loved the DX more than any iphone that's for sure. And at the store, the TB had better reception than the iphone, and any phone I checked. I checked 3G speeds too at home, better speeds with TB.

You definitely had a crappy TB, I had neither a BAD DX, nor a freak TB. Both normal good phones. I've gotten over 20 hours on my TB now, with light usage. On standby the phone lasts a long time, with some use it's a smartphone that eats battery. The battery is too small for this gigantic screen, that's the only problem. HTC design problem in my opinion.

How are you comparing an iphone? The iphone has a 3.5 inch screen lol. Has a bigger battery too. I can expand my battery even if it looks hideous I don't care I'm not entering a pretty looking phone contest. This phone a HUGE. The reception on iphones isn't exactly great either.

I feel like a girl carrying an iphone after having a TB. It's too pretty, ALL GLASS, and small for me. (Talk about reception, did u hear about all the dropped call issues cause of the antenna with the iphone) haha

alboboy10

Reaction score
P.S. Androids have the best developers, and most helpful people when you're having problems with your phone. I like the fact that if I have a problem, I can come here and someone will have an answer to my question, and won't mind taking the time to answer.