Thunderbolt? Yay or Nay

biggles

Reaction score
This thread would be more useful if there was a poll asking for "yay" or "nay".

I decided "nay" on the TB after hearing about the battery issues. I still think it is a great phone overall, but the smart phone market is super competitive right now. I suspect the upcoming phones over the next 6 months or so will make the TB outdated. Like many others, the Droid Bionic is the phone I am waiting for. Meanwhile, I rooted and overclocked my D1 and that will suit my needs, for now. Getting back to the battery issue specifically, I suspect other phones will perform much better on battery life, a critical issue for some folks like me.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1! I own a total of 7 Android phones (2 D1s, 2 D2s, DX, Vortex, and TB) and this thing blows them all away!! Not to mention, after only being 8 days old, its already been rooted and there are already multiple ROMs for it! I love my TB!!

To each his/her own. I am waiting for the bionic, but my reasons are simpler than most others seem. A friend of mine has the TB, and I've been playing with it off and on for a few days.

1 - I do not care for the image quality of the camera on the TB. I don't know if it's the sensor itself, or the compression algorithim or what... but I don't like it. The quality of images from my D1 are superior. The TB images have artifacts typical of oversharpening, heavy compression, or a low quality CCD. (Photography is a hobby of mine.)

2 - I want gorilla glass.

3 - I prefer a higher resolution screen. My D1 has a higher resolution than the TB. I do not want to go backwards.

4 - The Bionic has HDMI out in addition to DLNA streaming. I like having a choice.

5 - I use a game-gripper on my D1 to play ROMs because I have a physical keyboard. When not using the game-gripper, I use Wiimote over bluetooth. As I understand it, this is not compatible with HTC Sense. My emulator and ROMs would be useless on the TB. I need my classic NES games.

The processor and battery are not really concerns for me. I like the TB a lot, but I believe for my own personal user experience the Bionic is a better fit, for the reasons mentioned above. That's just for me though. Everyone uses their device differently.

Whatever you choose, choose what best suits YOU. Not what suits others. Opinions are useful, but shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Happy Androiding (yes, I did just make that a verb).

First off, where in the world do you come off saying the camera on the Droid is better than the TB?? Have you even used this camera? By default this thing is set to 3624x1952 resolution & looking at them there is no grainy image that I've taken yet! Don't get me started on how well this thing takes night pictures compared to my old Droid, you can just forget about night pics in general with the Droid because they just down right sucked! Grainy as all get out, even with the flash on you could still barely see anything. In no way shape or form does it compete in this arena. The resolution may be slightly better spec wise on the Droid but on the TB it just looks way better to me. Ok so it doesn't have gorilla glass, I baby my phone as it is so I don't have to worry about that.

Seems like your just still drooling over your Droid, which is fine, leaves an extra TB for someone else to enjoy. But the TB is miles ahead of the Droid, ask any ex Droid user who's switched. I don't see any of them going back.

i am a EX Droid 1 user and believe me i loved my rooted and rom'ed droid 1... but the TB BLOWS the D1 away in every way possible.. camera, speed, overall use of the phone... to those that "played" with the phone for 5minutes and are reporting that its slower than their current verizon phone just hasnt given the thunderbolt a chance... ive also had the pleasure of having a droid X for awhile and i can tell you first hand... the TB is faster than the X... also the X's camera is par if anything... low light pictures with the X is just as bad as the D1... the TB on the other hand is amazing when it comes to low light pictures

yes, there are phones that are coming out soon that will be faster, but the fact that this phone will have great dev support like the d1 and be locked into an unlimited 4g data plan this phone WILL LAST for 2 years.. at least for me

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I get just as much battery on my TB as the Motorolas I have :)

This thread would be more useful if there was a poll asking for "yay" or "nay".

I decided "nay" on the TB after hearing about the battery issues. I still think it is a great phone overall, but the smart phone market is super competitive right now. I suspect the upcoming phones over the next 6 months or so will make the TB outdated. Like many others, the Droid Bionic is the phone I am waiting for. Meanwhile, I rooted and overclocked my D1 and that will suit my needs, for now. Getting back to the battery issue specifically, I suspect other phones will perform much better on battery life, a critical issue for some folks like me.

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning

funkyb

Reaction score
6 months will make any phone outdated at the pace things are now moving.