Thunderbolt will be 299.99 with 2 year contract

bladerealm124

Reaction score
yeah, you are. but your points arent good points. really, you need more than 16gb of storage when you leave from your computer?

it just gets old saying its crapple and cant customize!?!? its a phone, not a computer.

His points are far better than any that you've made. Who knows how much storage I might need? With HD video recording and DLNA I could have a bunch of HD movies I want to store on my phone. I think we're far past the point in time where it's "just a phone". Customization is everything these days, if you really believed "its a phone, not a computer" you should should be using the bare minimum phone with great voice quality and battery life, not an Iphone, no reason to spend $200+ if you don't need want it for more than a phonecall. A great phone nonetheless, however, Android is the future.

Frammer13

Reaction score
I am however interested in the Samsung Galaxy S 2 which has a better display, more efficient processor, thinner design, more RAM, twice the amount of built in storage and Bluetooth 3.0.. It will ship with Gingerbread. It will also pack NFC.

I'm not saying the Thunderbolt is awful. I just don't think it is the right move for me. I'm sure it will be a wonderful device for anyone who buys it.

And how long until the Galaxy S2 is released?

I hate to speculate...Couple dates that have been rumored seems to place the launch at about the end of this month into early April. The original launch for the Galaxy S was scattered though. All the different models on all carriers. I hope it launches soon though my OG Droid has performed very well but I just can help envying all the new product.

Sleeve

Reaction score
I'd pay $600 for two of these. I'm in a 4g market and the detailed coverage map overlaps my home and everywhere I drive regularly. I'm going to go multi-core once the majority of the market supports it. I need to buy before my last grab at NE2 is retired in July. I'm upgrading from a D1, so a leap to a TB now versus XYZ in a few months is going to be equally quantum and indistinguishably so. I don't like Samsung color saturation or build quality. I'll never subscribe to another carrier, ever.

Fourteen days use by two totally different style users will uncover all I need to know about keeping these, and I'll skim through the typical post-launch forum whining with the same regard as the forum for every other phone I've kept. I figure I'll run one week stock, root, then run for a week overclocked. At the end of that, they either go back or we're out of the phone market for another two years.

bladerealm124

Reaction score
In response to Bthomp21:

Android users are simply confident that their technology is better than their competitors, in the same way that Iphone users are confident that Iphones are the best thing since sliced bread. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Like I said Apple makes fantastic products, but putting limitations on your customers is not the best idea for long term succession and I believe it limits the potential of the product.

Well to be back on topic, I've heard that people with pre-orders through best buy will get the $250 price, while everyone else will have to pay $300, anyone else heard something similar? I canceled my pre-order at best buy since I was hoping to do a 1-year contract with Verizon, but if I have to pay $375 instead of $250 that would suck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am however interested in the Samsung Galaxy S 2 which has a better display, more efficient processor, thinner design, more RAM, twice the amount of built in storage and Bluetooth 3.0.. It will ship with Gingerbread. It will also pack NFC.

I'm not saying the Thunderbolt is awful. I just don't think it is the right move for me. I'm sure it will be a wonderful device for anyone who buys it.

I hate to speculate...Couple dates that have been rumored seems to place the launch at about the end of this month into early April. The original launch for the Galaxy S was scattered though. All the different models on all carriers. I hope it launches soon though my OG Droid has performed very well but I just can help envying all the new product.

Two of my biggest gripes with the Samsung Android phones has to do with the crappy AMOLED screens and really terrible Android experience. AMOLED is way oversaturated in color (I realize this is subjective, but I'm sorry, people in my DVD rips should not all look like they have been haging at the tanning salon with the Jersey Shore cast).

The TBolt has found a nice happy medium between the Droid X's basic LCD and the AMOLED... it really is a crisp and perfectly colored screen.

As far as the Stock OS comparison, I have yet to see anyone come close to HTC Sense... Motoblur is 2nd best experience by default, but it is a distant 2nd.

TheMadTopher

Reaction score
$300 for the Evo 1.2, ahem, Thunderbolt is just gouging by Verizon because it's their first LTE. How slow will this be in 18 months when all smart phones being sold are quad core with 2 Gig RAM & 128 GB storage?

I was really interested in buying this phone at $200. But this is a stepping point phone in that it's the last of the single core phones and not worth $300 on a 2 year contract.

Sleeve

Reaction score
I agree $299 is a slap in the face to the Android loyal. At this price why not get an iphone? I've had an OG Droid since launch and I know the ins and outs of Android pretty well so 300 bucks for the same experience seems ridiculous.

I think it's a slap in the face to the Android loyal to think we'd consider an iPhone. I think it's ridiculous to call this the same experience as an OG.

Frammer13

Reaction score

Two of my biggest gripes with the Samsung Android phones has to do with the crappy AMOLED screens and really terrible Android experience. AMOLED is way oversaturated in color (I realize this is subjective, but I'm sorry, people in my DVD rips should not all look like they have been haging at the tanning salon with the Jersey Shore cast).

The TBolt has found a nice happy medium between the Droid X's basic LCD and the AMOLED... it really is a crisp and perfectly colored screen.

As far as the Stock OS comparison, I have yet to see anyone come close to HTC Sense... Motoblur is 2nd best experience by default, but it is a distant 2nd.

Root and prosper from AOSP builds as always. I dont mind the touchwiz from the videos but I can't wait to see what else is out there. MIUI ports are always nice. I like both HTC and Sammy's build quality. HTC aluminum is nice feels great in the hand. At the same time the nexus S felt pretty damn good as well. And the community that dev'd for the original Galaxy series is massive. I hope to see the same support for the next generation. The Samsung display looked pretty good in most videos I've seen. I guess time will tell.

Reaction score
In response to Bthomp21:

Android users are simply confident that their technology is better than their competitors, in the same way that Iphone users are confident that Iphones are the best thing since sliced bread. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Like I said Apple makes fantastic products, but putting limitations on your customers is not the best idea for long term succession and I believe it limits the potential of the product.

I just have to say that being in the IT field, Apple should know all too well what happens when you try to limit your competition and customers at the same time. Apple has always maintained a tight seal on their products (figuratively and literally) and it's the exact reason why businesses and homes all over the place have Intel/Microsoft-based computers.

Reaction score
Root and prosper from AOSP builds as always. (snip)

Yeah, but compare stock HTC to stock Samsung... I think I would rather go back to a Blackberry :gasp: than get a Samsung, but to each their own I also say.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I don't get why people are PO'ed about this price. For the same price as an iPhoney 4, 32GB, you get a better processor, bigger screen, better OS, more storage space, and 4G/LTE connectivity.

This actually proves that crApple over-charges for their devices.

Their upset because the TB is overpriced. $299.00 for this device is obscene. This is ridiculous if you ask me. I would NEVER pay $299.00 for a device with these specs. Attrix packs way more of a punch with many more options and its cheaper? How does that work?....

No #winning here : )

Sent from my Droid

Purgatoiry

Reaction score
I was at BB last night picking up a laptop and decided to stop by the mobile section and ask about pre-order pricing. I was told it will be 299$ with or without a pre-order. There was no manager there so i didn't bother arguing.

Reaction score
Their upset because the TB is overpriced. $299.00 for this device is obscene. This is ridiculous if you ask me. I would NEVER pay $299.00 for a device with these specs. Attrix packs way more of a punch with many more options and its cheaper? How does that work?....

I have paid well over that for phones on both Verizon and AT&T and that is with the 2 year pricing discount. Weather or not one thinks it is worth it or not is subjective, but I refuse to act like $300 for a smartphone is a huge surprise. Having used it for a few days, I would pay $500 for it.

motty69

Reaction score

I have paid well over that for phones on both Verizon and AT&T and that is with the 2 year pricing discount. Weather or not one thinks it is worth it or not is subjective, but I refuse to act like $300 for a smartphone is a huge surprise. Having used it for a few days, I would pay $500 for it.

I'm not extremely happy with the $300 price tag, but it's not a dealbreaker to me. That being said, there's NO WAY I would sign a 2-year contract and pay $500 for the TBolt. IMO that would not be worth it at all.

Granted I've not had a chance to play with it yet, but $500 is a lot of money to spend on a smartphone, unless it's off-contract.