Thunderbolt vs Droid Bionic

sledge3n8

Reaction score
I am leaning towards the bionic. My main dilemma right now is that I have an upgrade i can use now. I am tempted to pick up an incredible so that I can get in before vzw changes the policy on the 16th. Will the bionic be that much better? It would be nice to have one more annual upgrade.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

I personally would wait for the Bionica. It's 4G and has a forward facing camera, etc. I think you would kick yourself in the a55 if you went with a 3G phone now. I think 4G is worth waiting for...so much faster.

fudlen

Reaction score
I'm almost always on wifi though and I really don't want to pay more for 4g. Really hoping vzw doesn't decide to charge more for it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

sledge3n8

Reaction score
You never know, but very possible. I will definitely drop two or three of my five lines if my bill increases the slightest bit. My bill is $230 / month (700 Family Share plan), with an 8% corporate discount! That is crazy! If they end up charging me even more, I will be thouroughly p|ssed! Granted, no one put a gun to my head and said "You WILL have 5 VZW phone lines!" But I will put mental gun to my head and say, "You WILL drop some lines!"

Shaded

Reaction score
I bought the Fascinate when it first came out, I was going to get the X but all the verizons near me were out of stock. I guess I wanted a phone NOW so I got the Fascinate. Its a good phone, but I want to upgrade from it. I had the original droid, loved it, but didnt want a qwerty keyboard. With the lack of 2.2, and seeing as these phones are more advanced, should I shell out the FULL (Fascinates contract is through 2012) amount for the HTC or Moto bionic? Or would you wait until the contract ends.
Im just unhappy with this phone.

BlackOtaku

Reaction score
Bionic. A locked bootloader would be a shame (but I'm still holding out hope that this one won't have the bootloader lock), but from what I've heard from people with DXes & D2s, you can still get root/remove crapware/etc. etc.. It will mean missing out on AOSP roms and customs kernels, but here's hoping I can live without. I simply can't bring myself to settle for the Thunderbolt, and the Bionic can't come fast enough for me after discovering that my D1's notification LED has suddenly become faulty; that was just today (er, yesterday, that is). :icon_eek:

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
I bought the Fascinate when it first came out, I was going to get the X but all the verizons near me were out of stock. I guess I wanted a phone NOW so I got the Fascinate. Its a good phone, but I want to upgrade from it. I had the original droid, loved it, but didnt want a qwerty keyboard. With the lack of 2.2, and seeing as these phones are more advanced, should I shell out the FULL (Fascinates contract is through 2012) amount for the HTC or Moto bionic? Or would you wait until the contract ends.
Im just unhappy with this phone.

Im in the same boat bud. I am just going to sell my fascinate for $200 and get the thunderbolt on a new line and just drop the other line down to $10 a month and get a old ass 2G phone put on it lol. I really want the incredible as Sense UI is the best ever. But i might as well just wait a couple more weeks and get the best HTC phone out..."Right Now" lol.

dispatch1054

Reaction score
After waiting so so so long for the Thunderbolt to leak/be real (known then as the Incredible HD haha), the Bionic looks much better in my opinion, for points already mentioned. If the Thunderbolt had come out as a 3G version in the fall it would have been incredible, but I think the dual core phones are the way to go IMO.

brando56894

Reaction score
I'd go for the Bionic. I'm actually kind of happy that I have to wait to november to upgrade so I'm not tempted to buy the first dual core phone that comes out.

What is the droid bionic??? And does that name sound redundant to anyone else?

Now that you mention it it kind of is. Thats like saying "the mechanical machine" lol

motty69

Reaction score
If I had to pick now, knowing what we know and what I've seen from the youTube videos from CES I would pick the Thunderbolt. The dual-core on the Bionic won't gain you a whole lot till Gingerbread (possibly Honeycomb) drops. If the 32GB SD card being included with the TB is true, that would be pretty sweet as well. The DLNA vs HDMI is a wash for me, my TV can't do either (although adding DLNA would be cheaper than buying a new TV). At least with DLNA I could push videos of screaming clowns to my wife's laptop while she's on it (she HATES clowns).

The TB also has all the cool stuff HTC is doing with Sense's cloud capabilities too.

http://www.htcsense.com

For users with phones fully supported by HTC Sense

• Download more stuff directly to your phone
  • Access your phone remotely
  • Share footprints with your friends on HTC Sense

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
Honestly I just want the Incredible and id be happy for a while. Id be happy with my fascinate but they just wont update the damn thing. Plus who can deny the awesomeness of HTC Sense?

BachinPhx

Reaction score
Here is my .02. Motorola basically started the whole Droid thing off. Amazing to me their comeback after the Razr days when I thought their cell division was going to go bust. HTC has made some nice phones in the past. I think that they are resting on their laurels and hoping that people still buy into their previous efforts. Motorola continues to be a forward thinking company. Both the Atrix and the Bionic are imho hands down, superior devices to the HTC iterations. Add to this equation, the Xoom tablet and please tell me why Motorola's devices won't continue to be the benchmark standard? Oh, and make them rootable too please!! :)

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
Here is my .02. Motorola basically started the whole Droid thing off. Amazing to me their comeback after the Razr days when I thought their cell division was going to go bust. HTC has made some nice phones in the past. I think that they are resting on their laurels and hoping that people still buy into their previous efforts. Motorola continues to be a forward thinking company. Both the Atrix and the Bionic are imho hands down, superior devices to the HTC iterations. Add to this equation, the Xoom tablet and please tell me why Motorola's devices won't continue to be the benchmark standard? Oh, and make them rootable too please!! :)

I see what your saying but really everything is personal opinion at this point in the game. Regardless of who started it there are many game players today and in turn suits many different people for different reasons. Im not going to buy a phone based on the past or because motorola was once the best company. The fact is the game changes so much that there is no 1 best company they all do this very well. For me the moto blur is the worst UI ever, its obnoxious, slow and down right ugly. I prefer HTC sense, obviously and for me it works the best and i think htc makes better quality phones. Again its all personal preference and then again there are those that say LG is the best and i will admit their new phone is looking to be a great contender. And as far scores go htc is pushing the best at this point.

Overman

Reaction score
I'm on Verizon and am not planning on changing over to AT&T anytime soon.. I tend to like making phone calls on my phone.. having said that I'm a bit miffed about the castration of the Droid Bionic aka Motorola Atrix, Only difference is the drop from 1gig ram to 512mb ram. Someone want to explain this one to me?

I know HTC has their fan boy club and their haters. In my time I've rooted HTC's and Droids.. Dont much care... but I loath Sense UI. They are very simular in nature.. I like the idea of dual core processors making for longer battery life. No idea what I would ever user HDMI out for... but the gimmick and option, seems nice. 8GB of more memory...

I WANT the Atrix, I'll probably GET the Bionic.

Why does Verizon do this? I'll never know.

BachinPhx

Reaction score

I see what your saying but really everything is personal opinion at this point in the game. Regardless of who started it there are many game players today and in turn suits many different people for different reasons. Im not going to buy a phone based on the past or because motorola was once the best company. The fact is the game changes so much that there is no 1 best company they all do this very well. For me the moto blur is the worst UI ever, its obnoxious, slow and down right ugly. I prefer HTC sense, obviously and for me it works the best and i think htc makes better quality phones. Again its all personal preference and then again there are those that say LG is the best and i will admit their new phone is looking to be a great contender. And as far scores go htc is pushing the best at this point.

Jedi, you are totally correct. There really is no "best" in the industry and we are all entitled to our opinions. I was merely voicing mine. With regard to MotoBlur, it really is not my favorite UI. That's why I root my devices. Poof, it's gone. Best of luck in your decisions, whereever they may lead you. Just for the record, I am still waiting to see what the LG may offer as well. Just WAY too many choices out there. It's like going to BestBuy and looking at a wall of gorgeous TVs. Oh the indecision of it all!