Thunderbolt vs Droid Bionic

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm honestly not sure what the huge fuss is about with the 512MB RAM vs 1GB debate. Yes, the new AT&T phone has 1GB RAM instead of 512 MB RAM, but it is also basically running 2 OSes. Check the video and discussions of the phone, there is a second Linux OS running for docking purposes and to handle the true Linux applications (like real Firefox) which come installed. I honestly believe the Atrix is more RAM starved than the Bionic is. There has been some talk that the Bionic may not have a locked bootloader and I am hoping that is true, but until official specs for the Thunderbolt are released, so far this seems like a no brainer.

Interesting....havent thought about that with the webtop software on the Atrix. Good point.

But if it isnt running, wont the full 1GB be used for whatever its handling, phone OS or docking OS?

andross77

Reaction score
Unless the bootloader isn't locked, I'm not interested.

I have a Droid X, rooted, overclocked, themed, bloatware gone.
What does a locked bootloader matter? Does that mean i had to wait an extra day to have my phone fully unlocked than someone who doesn't have a locked bootloader?

2005CTS

Reaction score
BIONIC DORID Hay thats catchy im craving that 2ghz prosseror O_O What do you thinkwe could get it up to if we over clocked it!

Dual Core is not 1 Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2 Ghz. The processors run in parallel and can speed up running two processes on different processors but are currently not capable of running one process on both. Therefore it will be super fast at doing two things, but will not have some ridiculous quadrant score.

Also, each chip can be overclocked, but again not added together. Maybe each running at 1.5Ghz. It will be a huge advantage for apps/games that are very graphic intensive. And definitely for running apps and widgets in the background.

In case I make to sense to you: Multi-core processor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FYI - the AT&T Motorola Atrix scored over 2600 on the quadrant score. Not bad for having to OS installed...Will the Bionic score better with less RAM and one OS? I doubt it.

Droid101

Reaction score
BIONIC DORID Hay thats catchy im craving that 2ghz prosseror O_O What do you thinkwe could get it up to if we over clocked it!

Dual Core is not 1 Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2 Ghz. The processors run in parallel and can speed up running two processes on different processors but are currently not capable of running one process on both. Therefore it will be super fast at doing two things, but will not have some ridiculous quadrant score.

Also, each chip can be overclocked, but again not added together. Maybe each running at 1.5Ghz. It will be a huge advantage for apps/games that are very graphic intensive. And definitely for running apps and widgets in the background.

In case I make to sense to you: Multi-core processor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FYI - the AT&T Motorola Atrix scored over 2600 on the quadrant score. Not bad for having to OS installed...Will the Bionic score better with less RAM and one OS? I doubt it.

Honestly no one knows so id wait you could be surprised:)

ufish2

Reaction score
well who knows for sure what new phones are coming out and what will be right behind them...i think alot of these are just flung out there to be part of the CES show and to say they have a 4g phone .I think you should wait and see whats new when big red makes new every 2 program change:greendroid:,cause your going to have to keep these phones or fork out big cash to change and all I want is gingerbread for my X :)..also if you dont have 4g service($50) why pay for all that extra phone,but dual core would be nice..lots to look at before you buy..lol

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
well who knows for sure what new phones are coming out and what will be right behind them...i think alot of these are just flung out there to be part of the CES show and to say they have a 4g phone .I think you should wait and see whats new when big red makes new every 2 program change:greendroid:,cause your going to have to keep these phones or fork out big cash to change and all I want is gingerbread for my X :)..also if you dont have 4g service($50) why pay for all that extra phone,but dual core would be nice..lots to look at before you buy..lol

4G for phones could be (and probably will be) cheaper. Compare unlimited 3G for phones to netbook and such prices.

Also, it might even be cheaper than 3G but require you to have both. Like sprint does.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

CoFoltman84

Reaction score
I just wish they would announce a Droid 3, 4g, Global, 1gb Ram, unlocked bootloader...Is that too much to ask? lol

CoFoltman84

Reaction score
I just received an email from Motorola with things being released at CES. I guess we'll just have to wait for it to officially show up to see what specs are real. Maybe they put 512mb dualcore, because they are 512 each, equaling 1gb ram?
"
lbl-story-four.gif

THE END OF WAITING
No more waiting for pages to load, files to download, or video to stream. With a 1GHz dual core processor and DDR2 RAM, the DROID BIONIC by Motorola allows you to experience super fast 4G*** power and speeds much greater than typical 3G. It’s social too, with a front-facing web cam and a rear-facing 8MP camera to capture and share the action from anywhere, and see everything on a large 4.3-inch, qHD quality display."

gambit07

Reaction score
Unless the bootloader isn't locked, I'm not interested.

I have a Droid X, rooted, overclocked, themed, bloatware gone.
What does a locked bootloader matter? Does that mean i had to wait an extra day to have my phone fully unlocked than someone who doesn't have a locked bootloader?

No it means you can't run custom kernels, and from my experience with the og droid kernels can have a huge effect on battery life.

wierdo124

Reaction score
Bionic. Thunderbolt is missing the dual core. It's already outdated.

Sturge[Droid]

Reaction score
Yea thats true. And the whole 1GB Ram thing has been confirmed to be 512MB.

The AT&T version might be the better phone spec wise...

Just looking at the Incredible HD rumor thread, some ppl could care less about dual cores too.

DROID BIONIC BY Motorola - Android Social Smartphone - - Overview - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

You sure? Motorola's site says 1GB and the phone is branded with Verizon

The other thread has a pic of it saying 512 on the website now for some and the press release had said 512 also.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

i bet they're saying 1Gb due to the 2 duel cores...