Thunderbolt vs Bionic

Rhino413

Reaction score
ok i dont know if this has been mentioned or not
but the the biggest and in my opinion best difference between the
TB and the Bionic is the Bionic has ddr2 ram vs ddr and thats huge ddr2 is a lot faster then ddr. and a dual core system is designed to split the ram 50 50 so core 1 get 128 and core 2 will get 128. you cant judge the speed of the bionic yet as apps and testing apps have yet to be designed to take advantage of the dual core design. so running the TB vs the Bionic you are really testing the TB at full power vs the Bionic and half speed.

secondly the bionic will have gorilla glass not sure with the TB as not all of their devices have it.

and the locked bootloader is a pain but can be worked around poof is in the X and droid 2

the fcc difference matters very little as it will all come down to the software behind them. if you dont believe me take a picture with a palm pre versus and evo and you will see the pre take far better photos and it has a 3mp camera versus the 8 on the evo

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rhino is right, the true power of the Bionic can not be measured yet because the OS is not optimized for dual cores. (2.2 and 2.3 were not written with dual cores in mind but supposedly 3.0 was)

SolidSnakeUS

Reaction score
Isn't 3.0 more meant for tablets though? Which is probably why it has dual core in mind? Then wouldn't a single core probably be worthwhile until they actually make a non-tablet Android OS that runs multiple cores?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't 3.0 more meant for tablets though? Which is probably why it has dual core in mind? Then wouldn't a single core probably be worthwhile until they actually make a non-tablet Android OS that runs multiple cores?

Single core will still def. be worth while. Just because dual core is coming out doesn't make single obsolete... just telling us where the tech is headed.

A lot of the comparisons stating the TB is faster than the Bionic do not mention that the TB is fully utilizing it's processing power while the Bionic is not, because of software limitations at this point (not fully taking advantage of a dual core design)

The Bionic is gonna fly I'm sure, but the TB is no slouch because it's single core.

the big difference maker I see right off the bat is the ddr2 ram vs the ddr ram. The Bionic ram is superior. Really the only thing making me second guess whether or not to get the TB... but then again I'll upgrade in a little less than a year anyway.

P7M8

Reaction score
Like many I've been sitting on an early upgrade waiting for a 4G phone. Initially wanting the Bionic, I'm not sure i can wait that long. Based on the fact that the dual core won't be optimized due to OS and other applications I'm leaning heavily to the T-Bolt. I figure that if I wait for the Bionic there will be another even better, latest greatest dual core announced for release a few months after the Bionic.

Unless something earth-shattering is revealed really separating the T-Bolt and Bionic I'll buy the T-Bolt with a one-year contract then upgrade in early 2012.

Forgetful

Reaction score

How/why would that make any difference? If you use too much data they throttle you. I don't see a relation to the dual core...?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

How/why would that make any difference? If you use too much data they throttle you. I don't see a relation to the dual core...?

Thats what I'm asking. If the speed of the data is slowed/restricted then how does that impact the processing, if at all. Your thoughts -- it does not. Correct?

BSG4893

Reaction score

This shouldnt even effect the thunderbolt and bionic in areas with 4g to be honest, shouldnt that only affect phones on the 3g network considering the iphone is only 3g?

SolidSnakeUS

Reaction score
I just want to know how far out a 4G signal can really go. I'm about 40 miles north of center city Philadelphia and I have no idea if it would even reach me.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Map down to the house level my ass . The whole city is red and I know some areas quite big that have no signal at all and those are also red on that map .

SolidSnakeUS

Reaction score
Wow, I'm probably about 10 to 15 miles outside the range of 4G... weak...

I assume the coverage will get larger over time?