Thunderbolt vs. Bionic

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by pilot25, Jan 6, 2011.

1. destinydmm

destinydmm New Member

Allegedly the 512mb of ramwas a "typo" B/C Motorola has on thier site that the Bionic has 1GB of RAM. This was also mentioned in all the posts from PhoneDog to Droiddog to AndroidandMe, etc.
  2. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

If you go to the Moto site right now it's listed as 512 but it was at 1GB in the beginning

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. leonozug

leonozug New Member

I wonder why that happened with the RAM change? You think a company would know what was in their phone before they released it. lol

I'm definitely going with the Bionic. The battery life will probably be horrendous on the Thunderbolt, and I want dual-core. So I'm gonna wait it out. It will suck having to wait longer, and I will definitely be tempted going into a verizon store and trying out the Thunderbolt!!
  4. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I will definitely try the TB - but I am not going to buy it, it's MotoBio for me ;)
  5. MeganLeigh1122

MeganLeigh1122 New Member

both phones look good, can't upgrade to either though
  6. HolyGrail

HolyGrail Premium Member Premium Member

From the videos I've seen, the Bionic is choppy, while the Thunderbolt is smooth. Even if you don't like HTC sense, they always got transitions right. Regardless of the faster processor, it doesn't matter in real world comparisons, if your software is lacking. Moto is still having the same software lag hiccup its had since the Moto Droid.

LaucherPro has shown what good optimized software can do first hand. Why can't Motorola get it right.
  7. Detonation

Detonation New Member

While LauncherPro can make your homescreen smooth, unfortunately the underlying moto software base is still an overall problem on the phone. In the 3 weeks I've had my Droid X, I've had more lockups/battery pulls than I did in the 3 months I had an Incredible. Other things are also lagged as well, such as populating the list of Widgets or Shortcuts when trying to add one to the homescreen which takes far longer on the X than it did on the Inc.

The Thunderbolt is not an improvement enough (spec wise) to upgrade from my X. The Bionic looks good, but I'm really hoping a "next-gen" HTC phone similar in spec to the Bionic comes out later this year.

HTC does have a downfall though - their accessory support sucks. I don't think the Incredible or Evo even have desktop docks still.
  8. Leonius

Leonius New Member

I kind of agree. I have an original droid and using Launcher Pro, Sapphire ROM, and after doing the homescreen hack it runs like butter. Why moto couldn't get it to run that well on it's own I'll never know.
  9. Aram58

Aram58 New Member

most people on this forum use a custom rom so software isn't a problem for me (assuming an unlocked bootloader)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  10. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Choppy? Check out this video : ) embed
  11. HolyGrail

Hey Cereal :). Yeah, I seen that video, but it doesn't show him scrolling or transitioning from screen to screen. Here are 2 videos that show kinda what I mean. Look at the scrolling of the drawer.

Droid Bionic (it starts at 24 seconds in)

Thunderbolt. (it starts at 23 seconds in)

I'm looking for the other video that shows others comparisons, so I can post them up

It might be a small thing to some, but this small thing just bugs me :wacko:. I wish it didn't.........Kinda like some dirt on your tv screen, it just keeps bugging you until you wipe it off. One of the first things I check in buying a phone is the smoothness in scrolling screens and smoothness in scrolling with the browser.

A Dual Core CPU isn't going to mean much if the software isn't optimize to use multicore processors. Without it there is no difference in speed. Android doesn't even support multicores. In the future I hope it does.
  12. ntice

ntice New Member

I used to hate moto phones but the droid x has been a pleasure! I believe the thunderbold has a dual core processor as well (at least according to one spec sheet) but the processors are different. one is Qualcomm MSM 8655 1 GHz (htc) and the bionic is Nvidia Tegra 2 Dual-core 1GHz and has a bigger screen and better resolution.
    both have front facing cameras.
    a good comparison chart is here
    Motorola's Atrix, Droid Bionic, Cliq 2 vs. HTC's Evo Shift, Thunderbolt, Inspire - International Business Times

but I cannot find a good explanation of the processor differences. one spec sheet listed this for the htc: feature a dual-core Qualcomm CPU clocking in at 1.2 GHz, which is a faster clock speed than current NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual-core gigahertz mobile CPUs. Like the Tegra 2, Qualcomm’s dual-core model will be based on ARM technology.

I am behind on ces reading so perhaps the real specs have been released.
  13. Liderc

Liderc New Member

I think what you may be seeing as choppy is actually the videos inability to show more than 24 fps. I see this often with youtube videos.
  14. HolyGrail

No. You can clearly see what I described an it has nothing to do with the video.
  15. mjforte

mjforte Member

Also remember which phone is closer to release. Most likely the software is more finalized on the Thunderbolt since it's supposed to be released earlier than the Bionic. I'm sure Motorola will optimize the software for the Bionic before release to take advantage of the dual core.
  16. ntice

ntice New Member

I also associate nvidia with graphics but why do they list it as the processor? need to get to engaget to read some hands on stuff after ces is over. My friends who have the evo love it. My son has the original droid and when the 2.2 update came it made a huge speed difference (he's 15 and not a techie..my daughter is my techie LOL)
    definitely going to want to try it out and see. A couple of lines are due for upgrades and I will probably take one of them.
  17. Liderc

Liderc New Member

I still think you're mistaken. He also only has enough apps to do a half a scroll, so it could be the jerk you see at the end because it runs out of apps to scroll to and jerks back to the previous list.

Seeing one video and suggesting it has jerky transitions is a bit overboard.

It seems from your past posts you just don't like moto droids.
  18. Liderc

Liderc New Member

They list it as a processor because that's what it is. Nvidia graphics cards are simply graphics processors mounted on a pci board, they do the same thing as CPU's, calculating 0's and 1's but their processors render them into images.
  19. kenbiz

kenbiz New Member

That HTC thunderbolt looks very nice.. love my incredible. Not a fan of MOTO..
  20. elvis_marmaduke

elvis_marmaduke New Member

Dual core+ddr2=win IMO

And 2.3 is going to support multi-core processors, so I'm sure people will start coding for it (especially main stream ones).

I think its cool that the thunderbolt has 700whatever ram, but id go faster ram over more any day :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
Search tags for this page

incredible 2 vs thunderbolt vs bionic