Thunderbolt vs. Bionic...what to do

Beardface

Reaction score
I know we don't have 4g yet but I didn't know if you had turned your settings to CDMA auto (prl) or kept it standard. Thats about the same type of use id be doing. Do you not have your e-mails check automatically?
Oh, when I say check, I mean reply when my friends send me something, or I need to reply to someone in my job search. I send anywhere from 20-30 emails a day using it.

And no, I have not had to turn off any settings for 4G, since we don't have it, yet. And to be honest, I'm not expecting that I will. The battery drain on it comes when it is constantly flipping between 3G and 4G. Verizon should have a lot of those issues resolved by the time we get it.

Suuperflie

Reaction score
armyman22,

The question is do you want to risk losing the $29.99 unlimited 4g plan? That's the same boat I'm stuck in. Do I just go ahead and get the TB now and lock in the data plan, or do I wait for the Bionic and risk Verizon tiering their plans before it comes out. I doubt the plans will change before May, so I may just wait until late April to see what happens with the Bionic. Then, if I get the TB in late April, then hopefully the Bionic will come out before my 14 day trial period is up.

vzdroid13

Reaction score
If battery life is an issue then you should avoid the TB. You can make it through a just barely day but you almost have to jump through hoops to do so, like disabling most of the phones features and using your phone very little. That's the main reason I returned mine. Since you don't live in a 4g area, the TB really isn't worth it. LTE is the ONLY thing that sets it apart and if you're not going to use it why bother. Even without 4g the Bionic will be great with a high res screen, much bigger battery, faster RAM, and a processor great for high quality games; and when you finally DO get LTE, you will be able to enjoy it instead of it being a hassle. And don't worry about HTC Sense, you can basically get it on any android phone with the right launchers and widgets from the Market without even needing to root, and the 2.3 version of Motorola Applications (not Motoblur) actually doesn't look that bad.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

MrNiceGuy

Reaction score
For what its worth...

Got confirmation this week, Bionic isn't going to be released until mid July at the earliest. Samsung Charge is next 4G phone due out for VZW.

OP
A

armyman22

Reaction score
sorry I haven't replied to my own thread in a few days....I've been too busy playing with my new thunderbolt!!! Yes I broke down and bought it Thursday night and so far I don't regret it. I got about 8 hours on it yesterday and 12.5 hrs today on the standard battery. I'm not running a lot of intense apps nor doing much gaming but I do some. I just dont understand why the display takes such a huge chunk of the battery. I understand that it is much better than the EVO's screen but 50-60% of battery drain on the thunderbolt is a big difference than the 5-10% of the EVO's.

MrNiceGuy

Reaction score
I picked up TBOLT today and so far I am extremely pleased. Much better than EVO.

Sent from my TBOLT using DroidForums

TheMiz

Reaction score
Long time BB user , just tried out a Droid2G taken me awhile to get use to it ,
Today I hear Verizon is doing away with the one year plan on the 17th, I can get a new phone on the 14th and still get a one year contract. Should I get the Thunderbolt with the one year contract or just hold off?

BTW we are not in a 4G area yet

Side note off topic, all the apps I got for the Droid2G are they able to be also used with the Thunderbolt or do I have to re buy some of them ?