Thunderbolt to Razer

Pumaro

Reaction score
Has anyone gone from the thunderbolt to the Razer? I was thinking about switching up to the Razer but wanted to know if I should wait or go for it?

sent via ThunderBolt

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I did .... and I am having an issue with two things.
First: the screen - the Razr doesn't display whites like the Tbolt, there is kind of a greenish/gray tint and the colors are not as vibrant. The Razr screen does hold up better in sunlight though.
Second: pictures - if you're outside snapping pictures they will look great. But, indoors in moderate lighting and they look horrible! I tried (several times) to take picture of my kids in my living room in the middle of the afternoon and everyone came out terrible. And my living room isn't dark by any means - there are two skylights, two windows and a full sized glass door.
This Razr was supposed to be a "rental" until the Nexus dropped (I added a line in order to get it at the discounted price, then figured I'd exchange it for the GNex), but I actually just got off the phone with Verizon asking them what happens if I return it and go back to the TBolt. These two things, IMO, are deal breakers for me. Aside from the fact that it has a locked bootloader - I like to root my devices. While this Razr was never meant to be a keeper, it's not even fulfilling the role as rental for me ...

Last edited:

KeepItReal

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt, by design, you can talk and be surfing the Web when in 3g due to its dual radio chips (but not supported by Verizon). All the 4g phones
seen to have moments of losing the data signal, and I think the Thunderbolt just got that under control from its recent OTA patches! So if you do change, the Razr is dual core, runs voice apps like Iris or SpeakToIt more efficiently, beautiful Amoled screen, so thin and yet sturdy body would make good switch. Look carefully at the HTZ Rezound as it is 1.5 GHz dual core which is tempting too. Oh and the Nexus with Ice cream looks great too. Really, ultimately, its what you need to do with the phone, and will the phone do it the way you need it too should make the choice for you. The choice may be stay with the Thunderbolt, as it does everything just fine, and save the money! HTC said they will give you Ice Cream update on the Thunderbolt in time. Quad processor models should be in the beginning of 2012. You are at least are capable of 4g now...

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
Pumaro

Pumaro

Reaction score
Thanks for the head up! Sounds like I should wait since I have no issues with my Thunderbolt.

sent via ThunderBolt

armeddroid

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt, by design, you can talk and be surfing the Web when in 3g due to its dual radio chips (but not supported by Verizon). All the 4g phones
seen to have moments of losing the data signal, and I think the Thunderbolt just got that under control from its recent OTA patches! So if you do change, the Razr is dual core, runs voice apps like Iris or SpeakToIt more efficiently, beautiful Amoled screen, so thin and yet sturdy body would make good switch. Look carefully at the HTZ Rezound as it is 1.5 GHz dual core which is tempting too. Oh and the Nexus with Ice cream looks great too. Really, ultimately, its what you need to do with the phone, and will the phone do it the way you need it too should make the choice for you. The choice may be stay with the Thunderbolt, as it does everything just fine, and save the money! HTC said they will give you Ice Cream update on the Thunderbolt in time. Quad processor models should be in the beginning of 2012. You are at least are capable of 4g now...

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

I missed that news. HTC did say TBolt would be on the list to get ICS?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

GrumpyJoe

Reaction score
If I would be switching. Which I am not. I would go from the TB to the Rezound. My son is going to upgrade next month from his Incredible to the Rezound. The Rezound looks and performs like a great phone but, It's just not head and shoulders above my TB for me to want to switch yet. And yes I do love my ThunderBolt.

MoBoEvo

Reaction score
Since the latest update, and the new Rezound battery, my Thunderbolt has been perfect. Yes I see all the latest and greatest coming out, but at this point I'm happy and don't have an upgrade, so that would mean full price on any phone, plus all the new wunderphones have the same big teething problems that have all been worked out on my Tbolt.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

solid300

Reaction score
I made the switch yesterday and i prefer the thunderbolt over the razr. When viewing my email I cant have universal inbox for all my accounts like the thunderbolt. I have to go to my seperate accounts. Also the gallery on the razr is a combination of camerashots and downloaded pictures. I cannot sort the two. Also the back button on my phone when used in my browser occasionally takes me to the home screen. When it should take me to the previous page. My phone broke which is why i made the switch but i may get it fixed and return the razr and save my upgrade.

solid300

Reaction score
Screen way too sensetive. When browsing on the web screen is constantly trying to minimize when trying to scroll. Also typing is very difficult at times with phone adding letters i am not touching.

geoff5093

Reaction score
I haven't used the RAZR yet, but I've been wanting to upgrade from my Thunderbolt for a while - although when I actually get to trying out new phones I'm never impressed by them. My friend has the Nexus and while it's a nice phone, there's lots about it that annoys me. For one, the screen on the Nexus has a blue tint unless you are at full brightness, and overall it just feels like a toy. I'm pretty rough with my Thunderbolt, I put it down on the desk fairly hard, throw it in my cup holder in my car, I've accidentally dropped it, etc., and it still holds up great! Using the Nexus I felt like it would break if I dropped it an inch. I know you are looking at the RAZR, so some of these things are different, but for me I'm waiting until something really groundbreaking comes out. The Samsung Note looks promising!

JeffDenver

Reaction score
If I would be switching. Which I am not. I would go from the TB to the Rezound.
Yep, I agree.

I would rather have the Razr than the Thunderbolt myself anyway, but the Rezound would be a better choice for the OP just because it does everything the Thunderbolt does and better (faster CPU, better camera, better display ect..). So there would be no downside to switching. It doesnt sound like he cares about how thin or light the Razr is, or about it's AMOLED display. So there is really no reason for him to choose it over the Rezound from what I can see.

mark7568

Reaction score
Nexus rules! No other ph compares!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Since the latest update, and the new Rezound battery, my Thunderbolt has been perfect. Yes I see all the latest and greatest coming out, but at this point I'm happy and don't have an upgrade, so that would mean full price on any phone, plus all the new wunderphones have the same big teething problems that have all been worked out on my Tbolt.
I have not had any teething problems with the Rezound. I was expecting them, but I havent had any. It worked great on everything out of the box.

I agree it is best to wait to upgrade until you see something you REALLY want. Quad core phones will be coming out in a few months. I was coming from a Droid 1, so I was in a hurry to upgrade. If I'd had a Thunderbolt...I might not have been in such a hurry.

t35rk

Reaction score
What until you no longer can.

You'll be glad you did.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums