Thunderbolt power button?

AlexSB

Reaction score
I have just received my replacement Thunderbolt (New), and while the battery is noticeably better on this one, I've noticed that I have that mushy/recessed power button people have been talking about. On my previous model I did not have this at all, but now I notice how much of an inconvenience it is. ESPECIALLY when my volume rocker is as "clicky" as it could be (I would rather have a clicky power button w/ recessed volume rockers).

My question is, has anyone "tampered" with the button (with the case off) to maybe make it not as mushed in? Is it even possible?

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
Bump, any suggestions/solutions?

mjbalys

Reaction score
Mine's pretty squishy too, but at least it is responsive. I guess if the button falls all the way in I'll have to do something about it.

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
Yea its still responsive which is still good. I've read around on apps that let you use the volume buttons to unlock the phone? I'm not sure if they kill battery though

AWESOMEbolt

mjbalys

Reaction score
Sounds like you might have to root for that, but it could be cool.

greyghost04

Reaction score
Get 'Screen Mode' app and then you can use the side toggle button to turn it on and not have to go through the front swish screen.

lockman

Reaction score
I've replaced two TBolt's due to the power button. IMO, it's a defect, and I'm going to be angry when I have a refurb in the next month due to the current phone's button breaking.

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
I checked out the app on the market and I've seen alot of negative reviews so I'm kinda eh about trying that one out.

Yea I feel you man I think imma call this one in and see if they can send me a new one I don't want a refurbed so early to the phones launch

AWESOMEbolt

CsonkaBear

Reaction score
I've replaced two TBolt's due to the power button. IMO, it's a defect, and I'm going to be angry when I have a refurb in the next month due to the current phone's button breaking.

The power button on my TB was definitely a concern (always mushy). After 13 days it was dipping seriously to the right.

I was waiting for it to lodge under the case. It IS an issue.

lockman

Reaction score
The power button on my TB was definitely a concern (always mushy). After 13 days it was dipping seriously to the right.

I was waiting for it to lodge under the case. It IS an issue.

OK, so yours broke the same as my two.

How do we, as a community, get Verizon to make this right?

jseah

Reaction score

Uh, since HTC is the company that manufactured the phone, isn't it HTC's problem to fix? All Verizon can do is keep replacing the phone. If the phone was designed and manufactured with a crappy button, how can Verizon fix it for you?

When the XBox 360 was plagued with the red ring of death problem, was it Best Buy, or Target, or Toys R Us, or Gamestop's responsibility to repair it for you?

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Are you guys/gals really having a problem with the power button? Sure it is mushy but it seems to me to be working as described without a problem. I've had my phone since release date and I've used it every day. It's a bit disconcerting coming from Droid 1's strong power button but I've gotten used to it.

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
I called Verizon and they told me that indeed they are aware of this problem, atleast they recognize it now and maybe it gets forwarded to HTC? I'm thinking about giving HTC a call and just letting them know about it.

@BigMcGuire yea I'm starting to have the push the button 2-3 times for it to respond.

greyghost04

Reaction score
I checked out the app on the market and I've seen alot of negative reviews so I'm kinda eh about trying that one out.

Yea I feel you man I think imma call this one in and see if they can send me a new one I don't want a refurbed so early to the phones launch

AWESOMEbolt

Yea that may be true, but if you want to turn it on with a push of the volume button(much easier) and not have to swish the first screen, it's the only way to do it.

dvgb173

Reaction score

Uh, since HTC is the company that manufactured the phone, isn't it HTC's problem to fix? All Verizon can do is keep replacing the phone. If the phone was designed and manufactured with a crappy button, how can Verizon fix it for you?

When the XBox 360 was plagued with the red ring of death problem, was it Best Buy, or Target, or Toys R Us, or Gamestop's responsibility to repair it for you?

We, as customers need to complain to the dealer, Verizon.
Verizon, as the lead distributor of this phone needs to demand a fixed batch from HTC for customer replacements. When you buy something that turns out to be junk, don't you go back to where you bought it?
The dealers are the only ones that hold any sway over the manufacturer.