Thunderbolt or ...

droided1

Reaction score
Recently upgraded from an x to a bolt. Very pleased. On the charge note, I read somewhere that while the charge is nice, the software is the huge downside. Can't remember the source though.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

armeddroid

Reaction score
The Samsung Charge in every review has NOT beaten the TBOLT. Its actually on par.s.

I didn't say that they did, just 2 'head to head' and one 'solo' review gave the Charge the win. I don't see it and was wondering out loud what I'm missing.
Especially when you see both machines side by side. It was like watching a prize fight and at the end of it all the call the obvious looser the winner.

Glad to hear the battery isn't that bad, I remember talk of the OD's horrible battery and for me it was easy to get thought a full day. I got the extended battery and very happy. I got chargers home, work, and in the car.

Does the 'Extended Control' widget work, cuz it has a 3g-4g toggle?
Isn't 4g pulling most of the battery?

I hear ya and I'm not sure about the Extended Control but there is the app LTE ONOFF and that toggles 3G/4G pretty well. I know there are other apps but this one suited me fine and the developer said he was in the midst of creating a widget.

via a Thunderbolt

jr313

Reaction score
i have a TB and i luv it also..and there isnt a phone right now that I'D trade it for....as for samsung Touchwiz SUKS ive had 2 samsungs the fascinate and an older tmobile samsung and not my cup of tea! sense is better IMO but i already got bored with it so im rooted with cm7 pre alpha...im a vanilla android kinda guy i really dont need all da fancy bells and whistles and this isnt my first htc phone either...u should wait it out if u can and see what verizon has to offer a lil later dwn the line, BUT DONT get an IPHONE...or we will come find u and ur phone and it wont be pretty! LOL...JKN!

JayDubb

Reaction score
I have the TBolt & have been very happy with it. Stick with android there are so many apps to customize your phone to your liking. Screw the iphone & apple they wanna charge you for everything in the apple store along with no apps to customize your phone where android there is a ton of free apps to customize your phone.What you see is what you get with the iphone can't change anything.

Last edited:

Raptor007

Reaction score
Just like the ThunderBolt the charge will benefit from a custom ROM so you can get rid of the Samsung file system for something faster and of course ditch TouchWiz.

As for Super AMOLED+ not being that great outdoors, everyone who has this phone (yes its not as many as the TB) has commented they can actually SEE their display outdoors. I owned the TB since launch day and while I would gladly get it again (and just may) the display was useless outside, the BT was crap and wouldn't pair with a 2010 Subaru and the battery life was a joke.

Of course if you root, rip out the bloatware (as I definitely would on the Charge) and run Das BAMF Remix with their custom Kernel the phones battery life was actually better. I still couldn't see it outside when I needed it and that cannot be overcome by a ROM, Kernel or battery tweak.

Raptor007

Reaction score
Just like the ThunderBolt the charge will benefit from a custom ROM so you can get rid of the Samsung file system for something faster and of course ditch TouchWiz.

As for Super AMOLED+ not being that great outdoors, everyone who has this phone (yes its not as many as the TB) has commented they can actually SEE their display outdoors. I owned the TB since launch day and while I would gladly get it again (and just may) the display was useless outside, the BT was crap and wouldn't pair with a 2010 Subaru and the battery life was a joke.

Of course if you root, rip out the bloatware (as I definitely would on the Charge) and run Das BAMF Remix with their custom Kernel the phones battery life was actually better. I still couldn't see it outside when I needed it and that cannot be overcome by a ROM, Kernel or battery tweak.

armeddroid

Reaction score

I have an Epic and a Captivate and I can't see outside much better then the TBolt. Maybe Super AMOLED but DEF not the regular one.

via a Thunderbolt

OP
rwaustin

rwaustin

Reaction score
Gad I am an old DOS person and some of the terms you are throwing aroung go over my head or straight through it. I thought I was great making a RAM disk I DOS.
Ok I have rooted my X so that I can broadcast my WIFI it is a real slug at 3 G. One reason for4G. I hate going to places with no WIFI so out comes the old X.
How will the Thunder get more stable or is it a Big Red pproblem?.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
Every review I've read the charge SUCKS in performance. Why is everyone comparing it to the TB haha

If you have an ipod there's no need for an iphone. You'd just look like one of those douchebags that has an iphone, an ipod, an ipad, a mac laptop...Might as well buy a shirt that says I heart apple

For anyone who IS a fan of south park, watch the episode from season 15, episode 1, The HumancentiPad. I love it simply for the fact that it secretly destroys apple lovers.

mdroid2g

Reaction score
Even though this seems to be a tb vs charge thread, what are everyones thoughts about jUst waiting for the bionic? It may only be 3g but the dual core 1ghz should be an inprovement over the Dx and D2, right, even if ran on the 3G network?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
rwaustin

rwaustin

Reaction score
So it will be a 3 G phone. Not an advancement but a skip to the side. I want a fast phone with a killer battery that will let be use all the bells and whistles. And it has to be special. I have several Apple devices and I am not a great fan. But..........

OP
rwaustin

rwaustin

Reaction score
Note I mentioned the need for a killer battery but the darn phone has got to perform.

mdroid2g

Reaction score
thats the only downfall I see to the bionic, i think Ill go T-Bolt then wait until the bionic goes 4G by then it will be time to upgrade again plus all bugs should be ironed out. Hopefully

Ill have to get an extended battery for the T-Bolt since Ill be on it all the time.

DAVID2010

Reaction score
There will ALWAYS be better and more powerful smartphones. You just have to decide when you get one which one available is best for you. I planned on using both my iPhone 4 and Thunderbolt but after about a week I knew I might as well cancel the line. I still have the iPhone 4 but rarely use it. The pros of the Thunderbolt way outweigh the cons. The speed of LTE in my area is faster than most peoples home network. I can get 35Mbps download. Getting 20Mbps+ download is easy here. I do use my iPhone 4 sometimes for games, and music though. My iPhone 4 even though not activated is still a great pocket computer. Even more powerful than the current iTouch (more RAM and more expensive parts inside). Before I go. My battery on TB was fine before (spare battery, and car charger) BUT after getting the 2750mAH for it, its even better. Its not as bad as some people made it seem and it lasts a long time. Still stock and loving it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Kid A

Reaction score
Dual core is the future, and so whether Motorola releases the Bionic, Targa, X2 or whatever they plan on calling it, that will most likely be the fastest phone out there when it comes out. That said, it is pointless to constantly wait for something better. I couldn't stand to be stuck with my anemic D1 any longer, and because all the dual core phones are constantly getting their release dates pushed back, it made no sense to hold on another four or five months.

Between the Galaxy S2 and the Sensation, both the Charge and the Bolt are going to be obsolete relatively soon. But the Galaxy doesn't have a release date on Verizon, and who knows when the Sensation will make it to the states. Obviously if you've been waiting for those devices, go ahead and keep holding your breath. But for anyone who needs a phone now, it's just best to take the plunge. The Charge appears to be a great device and I'd say the Bolt is the best smartphone on the market today.