Thunderbolt now or Bionic later?

wooddale

Reaction score
many people are talking about ho the Tbolt goes through battery quickly. but wouldn't a duel core phone suck it up even faster?

Motorola did three things to improve battery on the bionic. Bigger battery, lower voltage ddr2 ram, and lower voltage dial core Tegra 2 chip. HTC did nothing to offset the add'l drain of LTE. So the bionic should run circles around the bolt as far as battery goes.

2 things will help all LTE phones though as time goes on. Proliferation of LTE and VOLTE. Once voice and data is running over LTE there wouldn't be so much radio work for the device and you'll see much better efficiency.
My DX &D2 are both overclocked and use a ton of battery I bought extra batteries spent about $12 for both phones keep a batery charged if you think your gonna need it stick it in your pocket you gotta remember these phones are like small computers how much battery do you get out of a lap top mine about 4 he's if Im using.it so in proporation how long would expect the battery in your phone to last

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
many people are talking about ho the Tbolt goes through battery quickly. but wouldn't a duel core phone suck it up even faster?

Motorola did three things to improve battery on the bionic. Bigger battery, lower voltage ddr2 ram, and lower voltage dial core Tegra 2 chip. HTC did nothing to offset the add'l drain of LTE. So the bionic should run circles around the bolt as far as battery goes.

2 things will help all LTE phones though as time goes on. Proliferation of LTE and VOLTE. Once voice and data is running over LTE there wouldn't be so much radio work for the device and you'll see much better efficiency.
My DX &D2 are both overclocked and use a ton of battery I bought extra batteries spent about $12 for both phones keep a batery charged if you think your gonna need it stick it in your pocket you gotta remember these phones are like small computers how much battery do you get out of a lap top mine about 4 he's if Im using.it so in proporation how long would expect the battery in your phone to last

When I had my DX before giving it to my wife I had a full days use out of it. I used for calls, work, and videos. I had 8hrs of use with it and now that my wife has it she gets a couple of Days with phone use and some internet use. With Standard Battery not Extended.

mikeyo1990

Reaction score
On march 17th when I bought the tb the salesperson told me they are doing free early upgrades for everyone, just thought it might help you decide oh and 4g is lightning fast no pun intended ha

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

See that is weird because I went to the Verizon store around me and they said they did away with early upgrades all together I hate how one place says one thing and another says something completely different

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

wooddale

Reaction score

When I had my DX before giving it to my wife I had a full days use out of it. I used for calls, work, and videos. I had 8hrs of use with it and now that my wife has it she gets a couple of Days with phone use and some internet use. With Standard Battery not Extended.
If I just use my phone for calls I would get good battery but I dont If Im not on a call Im on the internet being overclocked I use lots of battery and Im on Liberty rom with the X it is notorius for batt use I guess if you want to play you gotta pay

Java

Reaction score
Shouldn't dual core have better battery life? The dual cores should allow both cores to better optimize running programs and use less battery overall?

ryan.crazy1

Reaction score

ok thanks for the info. the guy at the verizon store said that it would suck up battery. he said "It will go really fast, for a little while" lol but i guess he didn't have all the info. plus the bionic will probably get an optional battery upgrade.

wooddale

Reaction score
Shouldn't dual core have better battery life? The dual cores should allow both cores to better optimize running programs and use less battery overall?
Im sure it will be they want to keep us happy or make us buy more batteries which ever comes first

mobileT83

Reaction score
If the code was optimized, then yes it should get good battery life. The TB is running a new generation of the single core proc which runs at a lower voltage then the gen1.

I moved from a OGDroid to a TB and I have to say I like the build quality of the TB better, and it is a sexy phone. Again I just got the phone and will see how she holds up, had the OG droid from 7am Day 1 and the bad boy is still looking new running CM7 for my lady friend.

The TB is 2 to 3x more comfortable then the OG Droid, feels at home in my hand and slides in and out of my pocket much better.

The bionic will literally have to be 2x better in every department to make up for the look compared to the TB (if it is I can always upgrade to the HTC quad core next year through my corp acct)... Personally I think the color scheme and general look is hideous... again personal opinion. I want the phone I am using to look good, since I am looking at it repeatedly throughout the day. (I really liked the look of the OGDroid, just not very streamlined... cool industrial look)

Oh and if you have used the TB you will see how smooth she works, I don’t know what a dual core will give you other than gaming… and I’ll get a tablet for anything like that. I mean angry birds ran great on my OG Droid, Call of Duty on the other hand lagged a bit.

T

Yes it should Get great Battery Life...

loonie01

Reaction score
I'm waiting for the Bionic. I'm content with my Droid X. I kinda like motorola. I've had Motorolas as fare back as the original Nextels. This is going to be the deal breaker. If the bootloader is locked like my Droid x and the devs can't unlock it, then i'll be jumping on over to HTC. That is the only gripe with Motorola.

grrouchie

Reaction score
as sexay as the TB is, i'm at least waiting until the Bionic comes out to compare them myself.

Still running the OG droid until I see something that really makes me want to upgrade.

Reaction score
Yeah, how locked down it is will have a big influence on me too... not because I can't handle it... but moreso because devs hate it... like when I got this Droid 2 (free) I wanted to put CM7 on it... but found out its not supported (yet?), and there are like 3-5 modders that do support it... disappointing!

The fact that its the first dual core on big red I think will have a big influence on the Modding community though :)

I'm sure it'll be fine haha

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

rushmore

Reaction score
As long as the Bionic can be rooted so we use Titanium, Setcpu, Wifi tether and Root Explorer, I am good :) Roms would be a luxury I can deal without.

Reaction score
Roms are number one for me... mostly because these company politics dictate weather or not your phone gets a certain version, in stead of it being weather or not your phone CAN run it... that's the NUMBER ONE thing I CAN'T STAND about the mobile phone market...

Especially seeing as bionic will be shipping with Froyo... sorry, but I want me some gingerbread!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App