Thunderbolt news app keeps opening itself

Insaniac99

Reaction score
I'm having a problem where the news app is opening itself on a random basis. I find this especially odd because before this started happening I never used it. It will pop up while I'm in another app or I'll lock the screen while on one app (with the news app closed)and when I come back and unlock the screen, the news app is there sitting open in the forefront. This was even more confusing before I let it stay open long enough that it updated and fetched feeds because it was just a blank white screen.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on how I can solve it? Thanks in advance!

OP
I

Insaniac99

Reaction score
BUMP. Any help? Am I really the only one who has this problem?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Shot in the dark here. Settings: applications: running services. find something running pertaining to that app and stop it.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
I

Insaniac99

Reaction score
Shot in the dark here. Settings: applications: running services. find something running pertaining to that app and stop it.

Sent from somewhere...

Thanks for the Suggestion, but they were unfruitful. I went in and could find nothing related tot eh news app. Then I decided that I don't really care about the news app and tried to uninstall it. The button was greyed out so I tried force-closing it and the button was still greyed out, guess they don't let you install the buggy P.O.S. Less than 30 minutes later it opens itself again.

Do you have any other things that might fix this, or any suggestions on where else I might seek aid?

jrenfree

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem myself. Just started happening today. Would be interested to hear on reason why or how I could fix it.

crakmasta

Reaction score
Eager for an answer myself on this one. Not only does it self open, but it never updates either no matter how I set the update interval.

OP
I

Insaniac99

Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this problem, hopefully that means a fix will be found?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
uncheck the sync and delete the widget from the homescreen

OP
I

Insaniac99

Reaction score
So, there was no widget, but I did get it fixed by unchecking the "update when opened" option. For some reason that also makes the app open itself.

nefariousity

Reaction score
I had this problem and it was screwing up my Alarm Clock!!! Whenever my alarm went off it would open the news app and cut-off the alarm, effectively muting it!

I disabled the news 'synch' in the app settings, and I'll see if that fixes it...

amusedone

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my news app. I won't open it but it pops up all the time. When I do want to use it it will show that there are new articles but won't ever open the articles when I try to view them...
Pretty annoying that an app. that doesn't work won't stop popping up. Arg.
Any fix that works?

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

kokuryuha

Reaction score
Alright, so this will be a first time post for me, in fact I made an account to post this. Anyway, I ran into the same issue, and after finding no other solutions I started digging around.

Long story short, I stumbled across a message that briefly appeared in the News app telling me my password was incorrect (or something to that affect, it flashed by too quickly). This occured when the news app happened to open up on me in the middle of me using my phone. At this point I noticed that my news app had not updated for the past two days.

I started digging around for solutions for an HTC Sense news widget and News app not updating and came across and came across a solution for THAT issue. Detail credit goes to Skeletronix over at AndroidForums.

1.Go into settings
2. Go to applications
3. Go to manage applications
4.Click on the "All" tab on the top
5. scroll down to "News" and select
6. Select "Clear Data"

If you have this problem you may also do the following:
1. Go to settings
2. Go to "Accounts and Sync"
3. Select "News"
4. "uncheck" sync news
5 Re-check sync news.

Should work now.

I followed these instructions and so far my news app has stayed synching fine, AND the news app has not opened up on me randomly again.

Hope this solves other people's issues.

P.S. Sorry for the long windedness, I mainly wanted to see if other people noticed some of the other "symptoms" I did.

reh99876

Reaction score
kokuryuha: Thanks for suggestion

Deleting data has my news reader working again...one of my most used apps and I have already done a hard reset once to fix that problem.

kokuryuha

Reaction score
Deleting data has my news reader working again...one of my most used apps and I have already done a hard reset once to fix that problem.

No problem. I actually had my thunderbolt do it again since posting this. And this solved it again. I did have to select which feeds to display on the widget again but is working.