Thunderbolt General Discussion - This is Not A Release Date Discussion

shortsxit

Reaction score
When you say putting a new phone on the acct I think you mean adding a line right? That's what I've seen in the past but it doesn't change if you replace an existing phone while keeping the same line active. I'm hoping they stay this way so I can pick up the TB and have unlimited 4 G until 5 G comes out.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Replacing a phone (even if you bring your own or buy at full retail) can absolutely force you off a plan. This happened with both html dumbphones and smartphones. When the Voyager was introduced, most people had MOU data plans, but this phone (and similar releases) forced users to buy a data plan. Same with smartphones in late 2007, users used to be able to have a data block, but users were then forced to buy data plans with new phones.

shortsxit

Reaction score
Ok so last week I was seriously on the ledge and ready to say screw it I'm getting a DX, now I've had a chance to calm down. I went to the Verizon store to play with phones the other day (mostly the DX), and when a rep came over to talk to me I asked her about the TB. The rep told me that they have been calling it the unicorn, since they keep hearing about it but still have no release date. I really liked the DX and it was hard to not walk out with one that night (played with the iPhone fr about 30 seconds and put it back, YUCK).

Here are some of the issues I am interested in relating to the TB vs. DX.

1. Signal strength - I live in north central Pa and if you look at a Verizon coverage map I live in that white spot in the middle. I can usually get enough service to send and receive texts but not enough to hold a call. My current phone is not 3G so I'm not sure how a 3G phone would perform at my house. I was also told that the DX has the strongest antenna of any of the phones currently on the Verizon lineup, can anybody confirm this? The Verizon rep told me that I can expect 4G in this area sometime this summer because the demand for it is growing due to all of the natural gas drilling going on. She also said that 4G is a much stronger type of signal and that it would most likely clear up my coverage issues.

2. Cost - While TB appears to be an awesome phone is it really worth the cost of 2 DXs. I'm not a person who lives and dies with my phone so I'm not sure that I really need all this new tech. 40GB is crazy but I have a 16GB sd card in my envy touch and I will probably never fill that.

3. Screen - Specifically durability. I carry my Env Touch in my pocket all the time and I believe that this is the reason that the touch screen has become all but useless. I also pocket carry my iPod touch and have never had an issue with it's screen because of gorilla glass. I understand that the DX has a screen very like the one on my Env, but what about the screen on the TB is it glass like the iPod?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

4G isn't going to help your coverage issues seeing as how it will transfer data only.

rlfitz

Reaction score
the thunderbolt has an FM radio in it. Will this use the phones antenna or will it require a set of earbus to act as an antenna?

Arachnidus

Reaction score
the thunderbolt has an FM radio in it. Will this use the phones antenna or will it require a set of earbus to act as an antenna?

I'm 99.9999999% sure that earbuds have nothing to do with antennas, and the TB won't need either.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

imdaShiy

Reaction score

I'm 99.9999999% sure that earbuds have nothing to do with antennas, and the TB won't need either.

Actually this might be the same with ThunderBolt - many cell phones with FM radios require using earphones/headphones when playing FM radio, because the earphones are used as an antenna. Once you plug them out, the radio will stop playing.

Here's a short post on the science behind this quirk: http://darrenyates.com.au/2010/12/why-your-phone-needs-earphones-to-make-fm-radio-work/2079

Last edited:

rlfitz

Reaction score

Actually this might be the same with ThunderBolt - many cell phones with FM radios require using earphones/headphones when playing FM radio, because the earphones are used as an antenna. Once you plug them out, the radio will stop playing.

Here's a short post on the science behind this quirk: Why your phone needs earphones to make FM radio work

Thats what I am afraid of. I have had other phones and an ipod that require the earbuds as an antenna. The TB should be above this.

Raptor007

Reaction score
Read Wirefly's fine print not such a great deal. I typically use whatever line is available for upgrades then move the phone to my line. If I did that with Wirefly I would end up paying hundreds $$$$ for moving the line. No thanks.

Rotas

Reaction score
Read Wirefly's fine print not such a great deal. I typically use whatever line is available for upgrades then move the phone to my line. If I did that with Wirefly I would end up paying hundreds $$$$ for moving the line. No thanks.

Any problems like this with ordering from Best Buy?

shortsxit

Reaction score

I'm pretty sure your obligation to best buy is over as soon as you walk out the door.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

UNC

Reaction score

I'm pretty sure your obligation to best buy is over as soon as you walk out the door.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Doesn't BB pile an extra ETF on top of the VZW ETF???

Raptor007

Reaction score
BB fine print may include an extra ETF but as I recall that was based on cancelling the line or service the phone was put on to get the discount. As for moving the phone to another number I don't recall it being an issue, but as always you need to read that fine print.

Don't forget by adding a line $10 without tax is $240 over 2 years I would rather bight the bullet at that point and just pay retail.